December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)

Via Michelle Margaret Fajkus
on Dec 4, 2011
get elephant's newsletter
Photo: Wonderlane

What was the most important lesson you learned about yourself in 2011? Was it a sudden epiphany or a gradual realization?

11 views

About Michelle Margaret Fajkus

Michelle Margaret is a Gemini yogini, writer, teacher and retreat leader who founded Yoga Freedom in 2002 in Austin, Texas. Her home since 2012 is Lake Atitlán, Guatemala where she lives in a tiny eco cabin with her Colombiano partner and their adorable daughter, dog and two gatos. Michelle has been writing this column for elephant journal since 2010 and has written some inspiring ebooks, with more on the way. She leads yoga and mindfulness retreats and serves as the retreat managers for the stunningly beautiful Villa Sumaya on majestic Lago Atitlan. Her lineage is the very esoteric Yoga Schmoga, which incorporates hatha yoga asana, dharma (Buddhist) teachings, pranayama (breath work), yin yoga, mindfulness practices and meditation. Join Michelle on retreat in Guatemala!

Comments

12 Responses to “December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)”

1. Valerie Carruthers says:

It's been a little of both. A few months ago while studying some of Krishnamacharya's teachings, I had an epiphany that took me to another place as a student and as a teacher. The experience continues to evolve and it may take some time to formulate completely but for now I'll say it's deeply related to a sense of truly connecting to the Teacher within.

2. Yikes! I am now 2 days behind in my Reverbing! Will try & catch up:

My most important lesson this year has been that I am stronger than I realized. It was a gradual thing, but then there was definitely an epiphany moment somewhere between "I can't do this" and "Hell yeah, I can do this! Just watch me!"

3. craigholliday says:

That there is such a freedom within, that this freedom is always here, and that my mind is dualistic, divisive and cuts the world into pieces. and that freedom comes from giving ourselves to hugeness within.

4. yoga freedom says:

Interesting, Valerie. Connecting to the Teacher within is always a blessing. Your comment reminds me of how I was deeply (gradually) affected by the teachings of Krishnamurti, another great Indian philosopher. Thanks for reverbing!
    Namaste,
    Michelle

5. yoga freedom says:

Hell yeah! Great realization. I realized that I'm stronger and more influential than I realized. Powerful lesson.

6. yoga freedom says:

This freedom is always here. So true. Accepting the dualistic nature of mind enables that freedom, in a sense.

7. yoga freedom says:

Thanks for reverbing, Lynn! Great lessons. Writing is so therapeutic and cathartic, I agree!
    Namaste,
    Michelle

8. yoga freedom says:

I had to ponder on this one. I learned nothing and everything. I realized, above all, that I have faith in not knowing. I take refuge in doubt. I live in questions. I till the soil of fertile confusion. I explore paradox. I trust the sun and the moon and my breath and my heart. My gut is my guru. This moment is a wonderful moment. And life is beautiful.

9. Loren says:

The most important lesson for me was that I CAN forgive. For so long I have understood forgiveness, I have wanted to feel it in my heart, but it just never made that journey down from my head and in to my heart. This year it happened and old wounds I had all but given up on have begun to heal. Its a cliche, but true, time does heal, it just takes some of us a lot longer than others. Forgiveness is a kind of release, it allows those old holding patterns to let go and for new energy to fill those spaces, I am not sorry it took so long, everything happens when it is supposed to.

10. Tanya Lee Markul says:

GREAT question!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

11. yoga freedom says:

Wise words! Forgiveness is so key and it is a process. Thanks for reverbing with us, Loren!