December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)

Via Michelle Margaret Fajkus
on Dec 4, 2011
get elephant's newsletter
Photo: Wonderlane

What was the most important lesson you learned about yourself in 2011? Was it a sudden epiphany or a gradual realization?

374 views

About Michelle Margaret Fajkus

Michelle is a believer in the power of poetry, circles and stories. She is the creator of Yoga Freedom. Michelle's home base is Lake Atitlán in the Guatemalan highlands where she enjoys writing, reading, playing with her daughter, teaching, learning, walking in nature, speaking puro Spanglish with her partner and living the dream, merrily. Michelle has been gratefully writing this column for elephant journal since 2010. She has self-published several inspiring books and regularly leads yoga retreats in Guatemala.

Comments

12 Responses to “December 4 – reverb11 – Guru (Teacher)”

1. Valerie Carruthers says:

It's been a little of both. A few months ago while studying some of Krishnamacharya's teachings, I had an epiphany that took me to another place as a student and as a teacher. The experience continues to evolve and it may take some time to formulate completely but for now I'll say it's deeply related to a sense of truly connecting to the Teacher within.

2. Yikes! I am now 2 days behind in my Reverbing! Will try & catch up:

My most important lesson this year has been that I am stronger than I realized. It was a gradual thing, but then there was definitely an epiphany moment somewhere between "I can't do this" and "Hell yeah, I can do this! Just watch me!"

3. craigholliday says:

That there is such a freedom within, that this freedom is always here, and that my mind is dualistic, divisive and cuts the world into pieces. and that freedom comes from giving ourselves to hugeness within.

4. yoga freedom says:

Interesting, Valerie. Connecting to the Teacher within is always a blessing. Your comment reminds me of how I was deeply (gradually) affected by the teachings of Krishnamurti, another great Indian philosopher. Thanks for reverbing!
    Namaste,
    Michelle

5. yoga freedom says:

Hell yeah! Great realization. I realized that I'm stronger and more influential than I realized. Powerful lesson.

6. yoga freedom says:

This freedom is always here. So true. Accepting the dualistic nature of mind enables that freedom, in a sense.

7. yoga freedom says:

Thanks for reverbing, Lynn! Great lessons. Writing is so therapeutic and cathartic, I agree!
    Namaste,
    Michelle

8. yoga freedom says:

I had to ponder on this one. I learned nothing and everything. I realized, above all, that I have faith in not knowing. I take refuge in doubt. I live in questions. I till the soil of fertile confusion. I explore paradox. I trust the sun and the moon and my breath and my heart. My gut is my guru. This moment is a wonderful moment. And life is beautiful.

9. Loren says:

The most important lesson for me was that I CAN forgive. For so long I have understood forgiveness, I have wanted to feel it in my heart, but it just never made that journey down from my head and in to my heart. This year it happened and old wounds I had all but given up on have begun to heal. Its a cliche, but true, time does heal, it just takes some of us a lot longer than others. Forgiveness is a kind of release, it allows those old holding patterns to let go and for new energy to fill those spaces, I am not sorry it took so long, everything happens when it is supposed to.

10. Tanya Lee Markul says:

GREAT question!

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

11. yoga freedom says:

Wise words! Forgiveness is so key and it is a process. Thanks for reverbing with us, Loren!