These are the dreams of a yoga teacher…
hoping to change the world one yogi at a time.
I hope the Universe is listening…
I have a dream that:
- No one ever gets hurt again in yoga. At least not in my class. And at least not because of something I’ve done. And God forbid from something I’ve said.
- Gluten free vodka and vegetarian chicken exist.
- Yoga rooms are filled with more people, especially more with color and Y chromosomes.
- Everyone can touch their toes and that handstand is easy. And that the yogis who can do that stop taking themselves so seriously. Get the f*ck over it! Doing a handstand does not make you a good person, and hardly a good yogi. Being nice is more important.
- My classes are filled with students who are über-clean and lightly perfumed. People, saucha is a niyama. In fact it’s the first one.
- My students are super happy and grateful for the adjustments I give them. That also goes for accepting change and laughing at my jokes.
- Yoga is where the older and the younger yogis get along, learn from each other and respect each other. And that the $6 billion yoga industry does the same, and values yogis of all shapes and sizes, and that a certain manufacturer will make clothes over size 12 since everyone deserves enlightenment in Luon.
- That the vegans and the dead flesh eaters love each other, and the gluten-frees and the muffin munchers love each other, and the tattooed and pierced love the soccer mothers, and that mothers and daughters and fathers and sons practice alongside each other and leave all conversation about boyfriends outside the yoga room.
- That someday yoga conferences will meet in a place that does not involve “Wander” and “Lust,” and possibly include a 5-star spa and 700 thread count sheets. Right? And what about in Paris?
Yes, I have a dream.
Michelle Berman Marchildon is an award-winning journalist, a former corporate executive and a survivor of 50+ years of life. She’s the author of “Finding More on the Mat: How I Grew Better, Wiser and Stronger through Yoga.” She teaches Anusara-Inspired and Power Yoga in Denver, Colorado. Here you can find her blog.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 4,334 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,418 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,122 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 2,438 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 9,302 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 210 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 1,851 share If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 2,760 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 91 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 458 shares