“10 Reasons why I’m Vegan and You’re Wrong.”

Via Waylon Lewis
on Mar 24, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

NSFW language: not for children.

I’m vegan, but I don’t love self-righteousness, pre-judgment, or aggression, or evangelicalism, even in fellow vegans. It hurts our cause, if anything. ~ Waylon

1. I’m vegan ’cause I’m nice and you’re a selfish asshole and you know it.

I’m vegan ’cause I can eat a healthy diet with lots of protein and have a ton of energy without killing animals. I don’t like killing animals, even if they taste good (sorry, bacon and sausage, I miss you).

2. I’m vegan ’cause I like being a pain in the ass in restaurants.

I’m vegan despite the fact that I don’t like noisy righteous mean vegans, I don’t like calling myself vegan, I don’t like describing myself as vegan in restaurants (I don’t like being a picky pain, generally) and I like to eat out a lot, and that means being vegan all I can ever eat out is, like, salad or a bowl of, um…fruit.

3. I’m vegan ’cause I want to live longer than you.

I’m vegan because meat isn’t healthy, actually. Fish is so bad for all of us that pregnant women aren’t supposed to eat it in all 50 states, now. And meat is, you know, flesh, and animals eat all kinds of crazy things and are fed crap diets and, speaking of crap, living in little cages and are tortured and separated from friends and family and walk around in their own sh*t their whole life. And then you eat them. That’s kinda gross.

4. I’m vegan ’cause meat is basically just cut up burned flesh from tortured animals that’s then frozen and shipped around in plastic and you buy it in groceries, so unless you hunt there’s nothing macho or tough about eating it, and you’re a fat loser.

I’m vegan ’cause those who work in the meat industry are generally those who are the most horrified by the notion of eating hot dogs. I was hanging with a meat-packing-plant-working college kid the other day that said he still loved burgers, but that a lot of the meat that he worked with was disgusting, and if you eat hot dogs, you’re an idiot. This was coming from a guy who looked like he was a pale version of Jersey Shore’s Situation.

Okay, speed round.

5. I’m vegan ’cause I’m better than you are.

6. I’m vegan ’cause chicks dig compassionate guys.

7. I’m vegan ’cause I’m smart and educated and you’re not.

8. I’m vegan ’cause coconut ice cream is good, though it’s a total rip off.

9. I’m vegan ’cause I didn’t want that delicious amazing hand-rolled goldent buttery croissant with my Americano for Sunday brunch.

10. I’m vegan ’cause I don’t like having fun delicious barbeques with my friends.

Fuck…I’m giving up this vegan bullshit.

~

PS: on a serious note, whether we’re vegan or not, boycott conventional meat that hails from factory farms. That shit ain’t cool, clean, healthy, kind. It’s bad karma, broooo.

About Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of elephant magazine, now elephantjournal.com & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat." Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword's Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by "Greatist", Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: "the mindful life" beyond the choir & to all those who didn't know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, is now available.

Comments

119 Responses to ““10 Reasons why I’m Vegan and You’re Wrong.””

1. hahahhahah…. vegetarian suites me just fine 🙂 conventional factory anything is bad…meat dairy cereal…hell anything mass produced is just bad.

2. non american says:

Ummmm…. I volunteer with loads of cool vegans from sea shepherd and know lots of vegans that dont act that way. The vegan jokes you made arent very original and come off as more negative then the vegan snob you are trying to comically (but poorly) portray. Perhaps look outside boulder n you will see a array of vegans that are individuals. Perhaps if all our resturants werent covered in dairy dishes n we all gave our bodys and livers a break from excess dairy, a vegan could eat out more peacefully. Yes, thousands of animals dying for our consumption needs is an unsupported issue that needs you to make fun of it. Only a meat obsessed, closed minded 1950s male embodied person would write such a warped and disturbing ” other side of the arguement” article. You either care for the welfare of animals lives or you dont. If elephant journal supports such a demeaning “open” debate about vegans, i will unsubscribe. I am only vegetarian, yet i do not treat vegans this way. albert einstein was vegetarian, and yes it takes educated and intelligent people to get passed themselves and care for other living beings. Its 2012, i dont need to read this type of crap. I also dont want to be told to lighten up and i have no sense of humour. Articles like this cant keep getting put under that umbrella.

3. ECOmmitted says:

Everybody has a choice to choose what he/she will eat! But it has to be informed choice, so educating people on what they actually eat when they buy processed meat in supermarket is really good. I support that. But if this article is not meant to be a joke, I kinda don’t like your attitude “I’m vegan and I’m better/smarter than you”

I’m vegetarian and I recently wrote similar post on my blog: http://ecommitted.blogspot.com/2012/03/7-reasons-
    But I don’t think I’m smarter/better then non-vegeterians! Maybe only better informed 😉

4. skink says:

If all this stuff is so bad for us, why are we living longer than ever?

The people of Monaco have a super long life expectancy and eat a diet rich in FRESH fish and FRESH local produce. I spent time with a Yogi that was 80 years old but looked 50. He said the secret to long life as a shot of scotch in the morning before his sun salutations and another in the evening after his moon salutations.

I met an Irishmen who was 101 and said he lived so long because of a shot of whiskey and a bologna sandwich every day.

What works for you is what works. It seems more and more vegans are becoming more and more angry and trying to shove their lifestyle down our necks. A lot like some religions.

5. Ilana says:

Why is Elephant Journal so angry at vegans? This is not the first artice that condescends… If veganism didn't work for you, that's okay, you don't have to feel bad or guilty, but kindly stop taking stabs at the lifestyle that has saved so many just because it didn't work for you. That's just bitter.

6. Ilana says:

Like, trust me, I'd love love love to have that crossaint, and the other day I was confronted by a grilled cheese shop that looked so good I almost drooled. I'm not gonna lie to you and say it's easy sometimes. But since it's not all about ME then it makes it easier. Doesn't make it easier when people undermine and say crap like this article. And to the commenter above, maybe vegans wouldn't be so angry if non vegans didn't keep asking, "But don't you miss how delicious it is?" I don't know, I don't ask you if you miss having clear arteries.

7. Lucy says:

Wow..this article is so full of EGO! I don't understand why such article is even posted! If this website is focusing about mindful life" well..this article is NOT mindful at all isn't it? It's full of anger, ego, and rude words.. Everyone of us is different and almost all problems in this world is because people think that their way is right and others are wrong. And this article is showing just that..

8. For those of you who didn't get it (or maybe only read the large print instead of what's under it) this is pointing out a certain attitude that sometimes crops up with any mindful choice made for mindless reasons.

9. Branáin says:

I'm not vegan, but I do enjoy eating them grilled on a buttery roll.

10. Ilana says:

maybe if the writing were at all creative, insightful, or entertaining, this would be true, but every single one of these points sounds likes person who eats meat making fun of vegans because they’ree bitter, not at all like someone “pointing out” a “certain attitude.” also maybe if elephant journal didn’t regularly post articles calling out the supposed self-righteousness of vegans in a “joking” manner. didn’t that joke die in like the eighties? I’m so confuse by the purpose of this article, and the purpose of elephant journal continually taking hrs at vegans. aka, what’s the point? and yes I read the whole article. it went from “things I’ve heard people say” to “things I’ve never ears people say” (I’m vegan because I’m better than you? right) …. in conclusion. why isn’t ej (particularly Waylon, considering most of these articles are written by him…) trying to make EJ a place that inspires compassion rather than division?

11. John says:

Funny article. On a more serious note; a glass of milk and a slice of meat could save a childs life today.

12. Pypsy says:

(veg) Ann – no, you wouldn't have ever met a Vegan like the "fictional" one portrayed here because you're vegan too. A fellow vegan would not condescend to you the way they often condescend to us non-vegans. Just because you personally haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Read your post again and you will see that throughout it you refer to yourself as "kind" and "compassionate" because you're vegan. Do you realize that is a back handed insult implying that those who aren't vegan aren't kind and compassionate? And then you call the author "self centered." What's so kind and compassionate about that? Or does your compassion only extend to non-humans?

You question our dietary choices with impunity, but if we dare to question yours, we're labeled, (in YOUR words) "self righteous jerks." Again, I'm not seeing the compassion.

And if a restaurant gets my order wrong (I want my food just right because I'm paying for it, JUST LIKE YOU) then it is THEY who have wasted the grain and water, not I.

This article was clearly meant as a JOKE, but it is based on real attitudes that non-vegans get frequently, otherwise it wouldn't be funny.

I'm happy for you that you have found a lifestyle that makes you happy. Please return the courtesy. We can all respectfully exchange ideas and information, but then each of us is allowed to make our own choices without derision from strangers.

13. guest says:

glad I read the last "on a serious note". I am vegetarian because I can't afford buying real meat from healthy cows and I refuse to buy factory meat.

14. guest says:

any kind of food could save a childs life today.

15. guest says:

PS: I also cut down on fish unless it's sustainably caught..

16. (veg)Ann says:

I have been vegan for 18 years and I raised my kind, compassionate, respectful kids that way.  It’s the easiest thing I have ever done in my life.  When I see a muffin and I want it, all I need to know is that there is an animal product in it to make it no longer look appealing to me.  Since I am not a child who wants what I want NOW, and there is no likelihood that I will risk starvation if I don’t have it, I can easily and happily wait for a delicious, healthy plant-based version.

As a long time vegan, I have never ever met a vegan who this mythical attitude that is falsely portrayed in this piece of BS writing.  All these years as a vegan, you would think I would have met at least ONE, especially since I have likely met many more vegans than the author has met.  In fact, most of the vegans I know/meet, aren’t even comfortable asking for anything at restaurants, because they fear some self righteous jerk will act like they are a problem for their wanting to eat with compassion and to have the food they are paying for the way they want it.  Go figure!  I have NO problem asking to have my food the way I want it, because I’m paying for it, just like ANY OTHER consumer prefers to get what they prefer when they pay for it, BUT I am ALWAYS kind.  I am even kind to the jerk-ass server who treats me like I’m a problem.  Doesn’t bother me in the least, because I know it’s their problem that they are a jerk.  I don’t need to stoop to their level.  What on earth should a vegan have to be ashamed of in the first place?  Not wanting to cause harm to a fellow being?  Reeeally?!?  Sounds like something to be proud of!

Funny that some meat eaters feel perfectly justified to harass the servers to get “their” steak “just right” and will sometimes even shamelessly waste it by sending it back (while children starve and die of thirst for the grain and water that was wasted to grow it), if it’s slightly overcooked, but OMG don’t any damn kind hearted vegan dare to ask if the bread is vegan so they can have a damn veggie sandwich, or they risk bashing and belittling!  WTF is THAT all about?!

Sounds like the the person who wrote this is a self centered meat eater with a big time guilty conscience he can’t cope with, so he is lashing out at innocent people who are actually bothering to make kind choices.  I might say “perhaps you should get a life”, as meat eaters say to me on a fairly regular basis, but I have no desire or desperate need to express such disrespect of a fellow human animal.  You certainly had the right to write and post it, but was doing so a responsible, worthwhile action?

I am a joyful vegan 99% of the time.  The 1% of the time that I’m not, is due to jerks like the person who wrote this pointless, waste of time and energy so-called article.  What good does it do to write such things?  Surely doesn’t promote kindness, compassion world peace, now does it!  Quite the opposite.  In fact, thanks so much for encouraging even more shameful vegan bashing.  You must be so proud!

Wanna meet me for tea and a chat sometime?  Maybe if you actually spent some quality time with a nice vegan, you might not have such a nasty, disrespectful attitude.  Let me know.  I’m in Boulder twice a week and I also don’t mind making a special trip just for you.  Oh, perhaps you might join me for Vegan Monday at Nepal Cuisine; ask for Ann.  I get there around noon (or whenever is the best time for you between 11 AM and 3 PM) and I’ll treat.  You have nothing to lose.  Right?

17. Best comment of the day! You win a lifetime supply of grilled vegans!

18. elephantjournal says:

Lighten up and get a sense of humor.

I'm still vegan, love animals, and just thought that—I know this might be controversial in the virulent vegan community (as opposed to the many-if-not-most non-aggressive, non-judgmental vegans out there, as you acknowledge—that getting some further conversation going about why to be vegan and how bad factory farms are might be done better through humor and heart than preachiness.

But thanks for your insults–hard to be hurt when someone anonymously calls me things without knowing me. ~ Waylon

19. elephantjournal says:

Amen. I love how you're challenging the above article for being pro-vegan as the healthy choice, and others are challenging me for being anti-vegan. Let's just say I'm vegan despite vegans, and because of animal rights. And I have a ton of energy, and it's not that hard.

20. elephantjournal says:

Thanks, Ilana, for your concern. I still am vegan, actually. It's been pretty easy, and healthy. I was veggie for 9 years before, so the transition hasn't been that hard. I just thought to inject a little humor, and get people thinking through fun…remember fun, vegan?

21. elephantjournal says:

Sorry, among normal people, we call this satire. You're mistaking ego for not taking myself or my path too seriously, or if I do, making fun of myself and my path. Try it.

22. elephantjournal says:

ouch. You're so mean. If you're out to do PR for vegans, please stop…you're hurting our cause. I've published 100s of animal rights articles totally 100,000s of views. I'm doing my part to spread the message that animals are feeling beings, too, and we have no right to mistreat them. What have you done lately, other than leave angry comments?

23. elephantjournal says:

Leave it to a non-vegan to leave the first comment with a sense of humor.

24. elephantjournal says:

Amen. Great app for fish eaters: Monterey Bay Aquarium. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/02/love-sushi

25. elephantjournal says:

Read the comments, including your own, on our many blogs about food and animal rights, and you'll find 100s of meanie, aggressive, judgmental, own-cause-hurting vegans out there. I've had the honor to meat them all.

As for me, thanks for judging me from afar, that must be hard work. No, it must be lazy and too-easy. I'm vegan—just enjoyed granola and almond milk this morning at Shine with a friend eating bacon and another enjoying eggs.

26. elephantjournal says:

Thank you for holding up a mirror to our silliness. "I'm compassionate, and you're not, why are you such a judgmental meat-eating jerk."

27. boulderwind says:

Here's one. No sense of humor.

28. DJ Sukha says:

everyone needs to chill the fuck out. stereotypes are funny because they are sorta true.

29. Hanuman says:

ATTENTION SELF-RIGHTEOUS VEGANS: Unless you GROW ALL YOUR OWN FOOD without destroying any wildlife habitat in the process. And without harming or displacing gophers, birds and other wildlife in the process. And unless your food is grown LOCALLY without harmful, life-destroying fossil fuels or chemicals. And unless you grow utilizing strict water conservation. And unless you have renounced driving your car to the grocery store to buy your vegan foods.

*Then I would suggest that your vegan diet is every bit as destructive and murderous as any meat eater who raises meat locally and conscientiously. And you are a clueless hypocrite to boot! LOL

30. Joey W says:

Waylon, I love your cheeky chappy articles! 🙂

Keep up the good work, spreading the good word!

~Peace

31. (veg)Ann says:

To EJ and Pypsy, why is it that when a group of people are disparraged (jokingly or not), then defend themselves, they are accused of being judgmental and not having a sense of humor.  My sense of humor is fine, when something is actually funny.  I totally got what you were going for.  Some of it was kind of funny, but as your vegan bashers have proven with their responses, some of it wasn’t.  I would not have come on here and said anything, had there not been something insulting written in the first place.  I called myself kind and compassionate as a defense to what was written that was negative and disrespectful, then I’m bashed for defending myself.  How unfair is that?  At this point to twist what I wrote into me somehow saying I am better, is what is actually back handed.  Remember, you don’t know me either.  I invited you to lunch, EJ, so we could have a face to face, but then was accused of being judgmental of someone I don’t know.  I know and agree that I don’t know you, so that was my point of offering to meet you.  Since you don’t know me, Pupsy, you don’t know that I am face to face with non-vegan folks on a very regular basis and I am also around a lot of vegans so I actually see how vegans interact with others as a rule, rather than the generalized way that we are all painted with a broad brush by people who only meet an angry vegan on occasion.  Vegans are somewhat justified to feel a bit angry, knowing and having to accept how innocent animals are being abused and killed on a secondly basis by our fellow human animal, and it’s all disgustingly legal.  It’s heart breaking to not be able to stop it, and we have to live with knowing that every second of every day.  There’s some “fun” for you!  Har har!  Meat eaters, on the other hand, get defensive and angry toward vegans, because they don’t want to stop what they are doing that contributes to all the suffering, death and waste.  There’s some logic for you!  They grab onto any BS so-called “point” like the accidental deaths of the occasional bird or worm (like you somehow give a damn about those birds and worms; riiiight!), caused by us damn animal abusing vegans.  Or (in my best valley girl voice) “oh my god, you vegans should buy local or you suck, so I can feel ok with killing ALL the animals I want to keep eating!”, in order to in some warped way justify the many many deaths and many many more thousands of gallons of water and gas, and tons of wasted grains, that meat eating has been proven to contribute to.  Seriously?  Sorry we don’t find that funny.  Likely because it’s just old and lame, and it’s time to stop.

EJ, I do have a sense of humor.  You judged ME and generalized about ME, without knowing ME.  If you think silly, jerky comments like “vegans on a buttered bun” is a sign of a sense of humor (while billions of animals are dying for absolutely no reason), then I can clearly see where you are coming from.

A “joke” is suppose to be funny for all involved.  When your “joke” is hurtful to the other party, even if you consider yourself part of the same group as that party, then it isn’t a joke.   It’s kind of like an ugly nerd calling another ugly nerd, a stupid ugly nerd, and hurting his feelings in the name of humor.  And accusing the object of your “joke” of not having a sense of humor, doesn’t make it ok.  Bullies do that all the time.  Not cool!  I’m not calling you a bully, because I don’t know your intent in your heart, but your article and defensive responses are displaying bullyish behavior (whether you want to own it or not) that is hurtful and rude.  Trying to turn it back onto me by saying I don’t know you, doesn’t change the fact that your article wasn’t funny.  I can only respond to what you wrote and I can tell you, all you did was encourage justification of bashing a group of people that already get bashed more than enough, as your supporters have more than proven.  And it’s socially acceptable, because we are the minority.  ‘Cuse me for not gettin’ the joke.  If you wrote an equivalent “joke” article about a particular religion or race, it wouldn’t fly, and you know it.  I suggest you get out and participate in this wonderful vegan community, you say you belong to, and meet some of folks you generalize about about.  You might just find out that you truly are “wrong” and you might also find some love and support along the way.  Maybe you can then write an article from another perspective that would contribute to good, rather than contributing to vegan bashing, deguised as a joke.

Again, come have some laughs with me at lunch any Monday.  My offer to treat still stands.  I’ll be the one wearing the vegan AR shirt, as it is one of the MANY ways I personally walk my talk on a daily basis.

32. Betsyv says:

I really think this is just another example of vegans senselessly and viciously slaughtering thousands of plants a day and feeling an incredible sense of latent guilt as a result. I mean the mere green carnage is enough to send a vegan over the edge as demonstrated by all the meaningless attacks above. It’s a sad day for the plant world my friends. ; )

33. Karen says:

I try not to push my agenda too much, but I really wish everyone who jokes about or rags on vegans would go watch Earthlings on YouTube. Once you see the kind of stuff that goes on in the meat and dairy industries, it's pretty hard to joke around. Maybe that's why vegans seems like killjoys at the meat party. But really what's happening here is massive agribusiness profiting from its products while consumers and nonconsumers fight with each other.

34. maru says:

What kills me really is that while vegans, meat eaters and/or enlighted ones discuss…. the 25 billion animals are still in the factory farms. Can we all get to a place FOR ONCE where the reality of these animals can just change?? the rest is good for shit

35. JR in SF says:

weird. i always thought hanuman was vegan.

36. John says:

Vegetarians eat fish? On a lighter note; what do humanitarian's eat?

37. elephantjournal says:

Amen. First step: boycott all factory farmed meat. That means no eating conventional meat in restaurants. That would be a huge first step. Huge. First step.

38. elephantjournal says:

I agree. Watching videos and blogging about animal rights and meat and diet issues is why I became vegan. Education around these issues leads to veganism, not the other direction, in my experience.

39. elephantjournal says:

I always wonder if self-righteous vegans think about palm oil, or oil oil–the kind in their cars–both of which cause immense destruction to this earth, and the animals upon it. Is it vegan to drive a car? Nope.

40. elephantjournal says:

I agree re the croissant etc. I have the same reaction when I have a craving…who cares about the taste, that lasts for a minute, when I can think about the welfare of animals, which is far more important to me?

41. elephantjournal says:

Waylon Lewis
    I just wrote a silly blog about how vegans are judgmental and serious and vegans left a bunch of judgmental and serious comments.

This silly blog uses humor and making fun of myself and other vegans to engage non-vegans in thinking about their diet, and about how veganism is still worth doing and surprisingly easy and health, and how animals are (mis)treated and factory farming is horrible. But, surprise, some vegans didn't get the joke.

Yes, friends, veganism has a PR problem: vegans.

Yes, friends, veganism is about compassion, gentleness…and it can be fun.

~
    Benjamin F Hahaha. Classic! Case in point…

It seems to be a common thread, that most groups of any sort are most undone by themselves. Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, Republicans, Democrats, Creationists, Evolutionists, Environmentalists… They all seems to turn away far more people with their own actions and attitudes than their detractors could ever do.

Tatum B
    hahaha. "Yes, friends, veganism has a PR problem: vegans." Love this!!! (Great article too!) Everyone needs to be less uptight!

Shelley B
    I am really happy your diet of veganism works for you, however it doesnt work for everyone. People need to be careful when considering a change from a whole food diet to a restrictive diet. I am happily an omnivore, done the research etc. Veganism and vegetarianism made me sick and malnourished. I wont be 'trying' it again.

Seth Braun Waylon, this is awesome. "Angry Vegans" – when I was studying at Integrative Nutrition, Julia Butterfly Hill showed up and sopke about love, and truth and beauty and she started her talk with, "Hi, I am a joyful vegan," and got immediately into this dynamic about angry vegans. By the way of the vegetarian conversation, what do you think of this? http://www.oprah.com/health/Oprah-on-Stillness-an
    Oprah on Stillness and Meditation – Oprah Visits Fairfield Iowa – Oprah.com http://www.oprah.com
    How Oprah Winfrey found stillness in Fairfield, Iowa.

Kate Bartolotta The comments were hilarious!

Tobye Hillier I'm on a yoga retreat right now… just finished a lovely vegan, Demeter bio dynamic dinner, including roast potatoes followed by apple crumble and custard 🙂 Nice and all the better cause I had a whopper meal on the way here!

Liz L Yes, snide snootiness gets old very quickly! It does come in all forms, shapes and sizes.

Kristin H Just read the article! Loved it! You sure did hit some nerves! Makes me wonder what those people are so scared of by adding some humor? Keep it up, I love your writing!

Alex B Man, the comments are fabulous. Thanks for pointing that out! And you *knew* it would happen, so thanks for writing. 😉

Kallie B Love it!

Jennifer Tomasi
    ‎..Much like many Christians perhaps? Very good point not to be a hater!

42. @marrael says:

"I'm a level 5 vegan — I won't eat anything that casts a shadow." I've always loved that line from the Simpsons!

43. Karen says:

How do you keep your "sense of humor" when people joke about killing plants and suggest that's equivalent to slaughtering animals? Or when they say you're being too "serious"? I love animals and keep up with lots of activist media, so when people laugh and act like my horrified response to the suffering of millions of animals is a "drag," it's hard not to feel that they're really just ignorant.

Is education important? Of course it is. But beware being an apologist for ignorance; that seems quite
    naive.

44. karlsaliter says:

Mmm Hmm.

45. karlsaliter says:

LOVE that quote.

46. karlsaliter says:

I enjoy this quite a bit because it gets us talking about the facts. And the facts are these, maam.
    1) There's a whole lotta vegan bashin' going on.
    2) It's not all undeserved.

I'm guilty. By which I mean vegan. Sorry! I do not hate you for eating meat, I promise. Well, not too much.
    HAA! Oh God, how do you convey a sarcastic tone and an eye glimmer with pixels? You don't.
    So when we read Waylon's article, it can get muddy. Fast. And Waylon is no fool: he knows as much before
    he hits a single key. The muddiness invites us to this, a flurry of comments, many deeply felt.

Veg Ann rocks, by the way. She is cool, I know her.

So the can is open, and I think we would be best served maybe by looking into "how can vegans get meaters
    to look into the implications of eating meat without coming off as total douche bags?"

Because I want to stop the suffering of the animals. And I do not want to be an asshole.

The subject is TOUCHY. You want to comfort people before you even start.
    But you can stand on your head and hold two pinwheels in your hands, spread your legs and sing:

"It's not not not about you you you.
    Its about the animals.
    I am not attacking you, I just feel so so sorry for them
    We do not have the right to do this to them it makes me sad"

And what will be heard is "whoa, my diet and deeply personal practice of eating food is being attacked.
    I mean, that's a pretty cool headstand, but this is vegan douchebag wrapped in a circus trick."

Believe me, it has happened to me countless times. Decades ago, it was fun to watch people unravel and unleash
    on me when presented with unwelcome facts. It is not fun anymore.

I am not so stupid as to think that satisfaction pinned on other people's actions will ever arrive.
    Nor so dim as to believe unwelcome news wrapped in sugar will be consumed.
    But I am curious and looking hard at how to convey what I believe without pointing the finger
    or talking down.

I look for examples of this message being delivered that way.

Here is the best I've found so far.

Have you seen any good ones?

Yours in "how the hell can we do this."
    ~k

47. Suri says:

My question for vegans is , can you be a healthy vegan if you are alergic to nuts and pulses including soy? If the answer is no then doesnt it mean that veganism is not for everyone? If the answer is yes , is there any scientific evidence that a vegan diet that excludes protein sources like pulses and nuts is healthy? I am asking because a lot of people do have this problem.
    Also
    I ve met vegans that have 3 or even 5 children can that be considered ethical or compassionate given the fact that there is one too many people on this planet and that natural resources are getting more scarce by the day ? Even if your 6 kids are vegan they will still need clothes and stuff and if they grow up in a developed country their environmental footprint will still be huge. So is being a vegan with 5 kids ethical?… Just asking….in my opinion the answer is no…. In my opinion it is just as egoistical and unconscientous and uncompassionate as eating meat.

48. Amanda says:

I became a vegan because I don't wish to be the cause of suffering. I stopped being vegan because I was exhausted and sick the whole time, sorely undernourished despite eating the healthiest, most balanced diet I could, culled from the best of the vegan websites and cookbooks out there. My frustration with the vegan attitude–and yes, this article represents the attitude of many of my vegan cohorts–is that they believe that if they can do it, anyone can, and if they don't they're in denial. Unfortunately it's not true. I wish I had a nickel for every sick vegan I knew then, too.

49. skink says:

Ann's comment is exactly what I referred to in my post earlier.

50. Lorin says:

Well, whatever side of the issues you stand on (and there are more than just 2), this sure got some conversation going, eh? So, it served that purpose.

I know plenty of vegans who aren't even a little bit jackassy about it. I know some that are. I don't know any that think they are 100% avoiding harm.

There is very little point in tearing each other down for our choices and much to be gained by discussing them with tolerance, and with understanding that everyone is on a path. See some previous thoughts here.