I’m All Natural, with Breast Implants.

Via Rebecca Lammersen
on Apr 2, 2012
get elephant's newsletter
Photo: Rebecca Lammersen

I am a natural girl.

Mascara and the occasional eyeliner encase my eyes. I have fair pale skin that I have no intention of shellacking with bronzer. I hide my high heels deep in my closet, and excavate them like dinosaur bones on special occasions. I live in flip-flops I bought at Target. I welcome each little wrinkle that nestles itself on the surface of my skin. I love my age and welcome every year with open arms. I bow gracefully to the year behind for ripening my body and spirit and for leaving me with experiences and knowledge.

After 32 years, I can say that I have accepted my body. I am thankful for the body I have and the way it has gifted me over the years.

I love my body for granting me the freedom to experience life. I have climbed up mountains, skied down mountains, sailed the seas, traveled across the world, ran hundreds of miles, dove meters under the ocean and danced for hours on end. I can stand on my hands, my head and my feet with ease.

I have made love, given birth, breast-fed two babies, miscarried, starved myself, fed myself, hurt myself and healed myself.

I loaded 60 pounds on my petite frame with each of my pregnancies and lost all of the weight with patience, some healthy food and a daily yoga practice.

I love the strength, stamina and resilience of my body. I love my scars, my imbalances, my freckles, my moles. I love that my ears poke out just a little, and my nose has a tiny bump from falling on my face when I was four years old.

I am flawed and imperfect. I am all natural. I am all natural, with breast implants. They are a part of my body and have been since I was 18 years old.

Most people are shocked when they find out. I listen to the judgments and angry comments when a woman walks by with obvious enhancements.

“That is so gross. That is so unnatural. Why would anyone do that to themselves?”

I look up with a little grin and say, “I have them.”

“What? No you don’t!  You?”

Yes, the all natural gal on the spiritual journey has breast implants.

The woman who helps other women embrace who they are on the inside and accept what’s on the outside, has silicone under her flesh.

Some might call me a walking busty oxymoron or a hypocrite. I am not. I made a decision at the age of 18, and as my motto goes, I never regret anything I do or say because I meant to do or say it at that time. I made a choice to have implants and I am secure and content with the decision I made.

My father was a plastic and reconstructive surgeon. His work was concentrated in reconstruction of wounds and deformities, including babies born with cleft lips and palates, facial and hand deformities, burns, tumors. You name it, he did it. He removed, reconnected, restored and healed thousands of patients.

I used to go on rounds with him at the hospital and had the privilege of suiting up in surgical pajamas and headgear to observe his work. I watched as he constructed an ear out of cartilage from rib, placing it beneath the skin on the side of a little boy’s skull. I watched as he put people back together like Mr. Potato Head. I was not privy to the world of insecure women who tried to bandage themselves with a little nip and tuck, thinking it would fix the gash in their self-worth and the rift in their marriage.

At 18, I approached my father from a place of pragmatism and maturity. I was skinny. The four years of starvation had taken a toll on my body and I looked like a boy, well not really, but the boob fairy definitely forgot to visit my chest. I was not dysmorphic about my body, yet when I looked in the mirror, what I saw did not match what I felt in my heart. I felt like a powerful, sensual, curvaceous, sexy woman and I wanted that feeling to physically manifest. I loved the idea of a little curve, a little substance to my figure that I could see and feel. I knew I did not want my breasts to be my handshake, I wanted them to blend in with the landscape of my body. My dad always said, if there was anything he could do to assist me in feeling as confident as I could, he would help. Who better than the man who created me, to give me what I wanted, breasts.

I knew that proceeding with the surgery meant I would be left with a scar. Cutting into flesh never goes forgotten by the derma, but that is what made my father an artist and master. He sutured with grace.

The scars left by his healing threads were just traceable for the patient to see, so they could always remember what they had healed from. Every moment of life lived, leaves us with a scar whether in our mind or on our body. A scar is a reminder and souvenir of the choices we have made on our path.

In my eyes, scars are beautiful. We are meant to get cut, scraped and worn from our years of living. Life is one big pumice stone that erodes away our newness and replaces it with age, experience, knowledge and wisdom (if we choose to learn from our experiences).

A scar may come in the form of a memory, a scar on our skin, a tattoo, a relationship that birthed from a choice we made, a possession we own, or anything else that leaves a trail or a mark of  how we have lived and the choices we make along the way. My breast implants are two scars from a period of my life, and for that, I embrace them and my choice completely.

The decision itself is a scar upon my true path.

Photo: matthewlucas

Cosmetic alterations become dangerous to our identity and well-being when they are founded on emptiness and honored as fullness.

If a woman has a facelift and is kind, generous, accepts the people around her and lives a life of service and goodness, then a facelift is only a facelift. The facelift is an alteration, like hemming the fabric of her skirt to fit her figure.

Another woman may have the same procedure, but she does not love herself. She is not fulfilled with her life, the people in her life, or herself. Nothing satisfies her and therefore, her facelift is detrimental to her well-being. She was depending on the facelift to bring her happiness, but it never will because she is empty on the inside. She will bring her skirt to be hemmed, but be unsatisfied with the work done because she is discontented and unaccepting of her being.

There is an epidemic of addiction to cosmetic surgery today. There are people who are obsessed with altering their outside. There is a thought process that leads to a belief, the “if I only changed____, I would be happy” belief.

It does not work.

People will stuff and tighten themselves to an unrecognizable state, and the result is suffering and misery. When we are full on the inside, everything fills us on the outside too.

When I was 18, I fell in the middle on the contentment spectrum when it came to my body. I now know that the voluptuous woman I was yearning for on the outside needed to be filled inside first. My spirit was crying out to be heard and acknowledged.

So, I experimented with different methods of giving her attention. I used my breasts to get attention. In college, I flashed them on spring break in Mexico. I squeezed them into little tops as a bull’s eye to a man’s libido, and I got attention. I got attention that was vapid and insincere because I was not being sincere with myself.

What we give ourselves is what we receive from others. I was giving myself nothing. Something was missing, something was lacking. I didn’t like myself, so I lived outside myself for a while, and then I remembered the mature 18 year old that had approached her father about her outside. I addressed myself the same way. I reminded myself that my breasts were just an enhancement to my body. I told myself the work needed to be done to enhance my spirit. Sure, I did it backwards, but that was my journey. I honor and love my body for allowing me to live and function healthfully in this world, but it does not define me. Having small breasts or implants has no bearing on my depth and the goodness that resides within me. Now, I bare my soul not my breasts.

My answer is, I don’t know. The fact is, I did it and I have implants. A couple of years ago, I had to have a replacement operation. It was necessary. I did consider removing them and not replacing them, but they became a part of my body like a pet does when it is adopted into a family. They became part of my structure. I had formed a thin layer of scar tissue around them. My body had healed around them as if hugging them into place. I wanted to keep them.

In reflection, I acknowledge they assisted me in the acceptance of my body. It looked right, from the moment I removed the bandages 15 years ago. The surgery was like hanging the last painting on the wall after moving into a new house, and living with implants is like living in that new house day after day, year after year. I still notice and appreciate the painting I hung that first day, but my awareness has shifted to how good I feel living within the warm walls of my home.

We are gifted with the body we have in order to live our lives. We have free will to do with it what we want. We have a choice to take care of it, hurt it, neglect it, honor it, fix it, not fix it, renovate it or keep it the same just as we would our home. Just like any home, it isn’t the home that makes the owner happy, it is the owner that makes the home happy. My body is my home and it is now a happy home.

I know my happiness is not contingent on the size of my breasts, but I do smile when I look in the mirror. I smile at it all. I smile because my body is covered with scars of a life lived. I smile because I’ve lived another day and have wrinkles to show for it. I smile because I can still see stretch marks from my pregnancies and that scar from when I fell from my bike at five years old. I smile because I can see the happiness from the inside permeating on the outside. I smile because my breasts remind me of how far I have come—how I grew from a flat chested spirit to a voluptuous spirit. Not to mention, I really love my curves.

By Rebecca Lammersen

~

Editor: Brianna Bemel

About Rebecca Lammersen

Rebecca Lammersen is the founder of Yogalution, an intimate, boutique style yoga studio in Scottsdale, AZ. I love being alive. I love being a mother. I love teaching yoga. I love to write. I love to know. I love to not know. I love to learn. I love to listen. I love to read. I love to swim. I love to travel. I love to dance. I love to help. I love to serve. That pretty much sums me up. For daily inspirations, check out Rebecca's website. Visit her yoga studio website and peruse her articles at The Huffington Post. You can also find her on Facebook. Subscribe to Rebecca's feed and never miss a post!

Comments

134 Responses to “I’m All Natural, with Breast Implants.”

1. I love everything about this piece. You said everything that need to be said. I get it completely!

2. […] I’m All Natural, with Breast Implants.. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. […]

3. jdka says:

"I know my happiness is not contingent on the size of my breasts, but I do smile when I look in the mirror."
    Huh? But, part of it is making you happy, if it is making you smile and the fact that you wanted bigger breast to feel more complete–matching the look on the outside that you "felt in your heart".

But, it does seem as though what the writer has expressed resonates with many readers. So be it.

4. Joe Sparks says:

We males are rated in this culture by the " attractiveness" of the women we able to associate with. It is presumed that the more a "man" we are, the more "attractive" the women around us will be. The advertising media cultivate and exploit our tensions around sex ( actually around lack of closeness) for profit. Damage is done by the advertising "message" that only " beautiful" women are desirable, thus devaluing our relationships with the vast majority of women who don't look like the enhanced advertising " models." This tends to focus the attention of us males on the appearance rather than on the richness and individual humanity of each women.

5. Thanks for writing this – I enjoyed reading your story and the wisdom you found along the way.

6. catnipkiss says:

since when do men have ANY control over their penises???? (sorry, just joking!)

7. catnipkiss says:

I have always thought that it is a little unfair that women with no boobs are allowed to buy a pair. Women(like me) who are naturally curvy usually tend to be larger everywhere. and women who are slim and athletic usually don't have big boobs. It's a level playing field, in a way! But when skinny women get fake boobs, we lose our one advantage- we cannot "buy" skinny……..

8. Yogateacher says:

Wow. Way to mansplain. The pressure must just be terrible. Puhleeeeze.

9. Anon says:

Great article – thank you for sharing!

10. Sarah says:

So glad you wrote this! I was wondering if anyone else out there felt the same. I too was anorexic and when I finally became more accepting of my body I had issues because my curviness didn't match in the breast department.

I got mine at 23. I'm now almost 29 (the twins, as I call them, will be celebrating their 5th birthday next Friday!) and still think it was one of the best things I did for myself. It helped me feel more comfortable and accept myself better. In fact, it helped me accept myself the way I am and I think more positively the way I looked before surgery now in retrospect.

Now I'm vegan and try to go the natural route with medications, with products, with cleaners. But I cannot and will not regret my decision of adopting my twins. They're a part of me now and I feel good with them. Thank you for sharing!

11. Maggie lee says:

I know a yoga instructor with implants. And she has a photo of herself in this exact same pose. Does it have a name? Her teaching is ego driven and centered around her. Im not implying you teach this way, but perhaps thats why the idea of breadt implants caged away in your body as you teach seems to miss the point if satya.I’m sorry you have implants., they are dangerous and so not natural. You can get them removed now with great results most of the time.

12. Vision_Quest2 says:

A pplause … lol ….We cannot buy small frames, either. As someone who wore a size 18 or 20 at that age and a size 12 or 14 now, I heartily agree. Oh, that was also in the era of a young Bo Derek, too – you could have it up top if the rest of you was tiny and uber-light with no hips (kinda like the precursor to the "yoga goddess" with a body made for rocking full headstand …. lol). You are so right. My advantage now, is pushing 60, and not caring …

13. Vision_Quest2 says:

Reductionist and supposed to be satire, but there's truth to this:

14. Tim says:

“mansplain”? Wow. Feel the hate. Who you gonna marginalize next? “blacksplain”? “gaysplain”? “Muslimsplain”? Thanks for that glimpse into the dark, narrow little hole which your yoga practice has brought you to.

15. Yogateacher says:

See Tim… The difference is those other groups are marginalized so they can't be splainers, men- not so much, so there is no comparison to draw. You're just being silly now and reacting like a classic bitter mansplainer. And my hole is none of your business.

16. Joe Sparks says:

Our society acts reluctant to recognize men as an oppressed group. The emphasis in the society is on men as agents of all oppressions. Yet thoughtful examination of the situation one can conclude that men are indeed oppressed. There is no designated group of people assigned by the oppressive society to carry out the oppression of males. ( This is different from the situation with some other oppressions, in which a particular group is " trained and assigned" to be in the oppressive role relative to another group. For example, whites are " trained and assigned" to install and perpetuate racism—oppression of people of color. Men are " trained and assigned" to install and perpetuate sexism–oppression of females.) In carrying out the oppression of men, the society as a whole plays the role of the oppressor. Nearly everyone in our societies plays some role in men's oppression and nearly everyone has rigid attitudes and " beliefs" that are oppressive to men. It will be essential to change these widely held attitudes and beliefs.

17. Yoateacher says:

Hilarious.

18. Yogateachr says:

I guess the regular entitlement you benefit from every day just isn't enough is it? Now you have to manufacter some situation where people oppress men. What a riot. So much self absorption, so little time. Sometimes the new age sect is just way too much.

19. Joe Sparks says:

It is a common mistake to look for someone to blame when one is feeling how mistreated one has been. This is always a mistake. To blame another person is acting out a past hurtful experience that was wrong when it happened and is wrong to re-enact. The oppressive character of society has been in place and operating for thousands of years. No one in the present has freely chosen to play a role in it. Human beings never hurt each other by choice; only when unthinkingly and unawarely lost in re-enacting an old hurt of their own do they do this. The elmination of the sexist oppression of women is a necessary part of eliminating our own oppression. The culture's limited expectation of females is harmful and wrong and implies corresponding harmful expectations of males. Until women are free to choose any kind of life, men nor women will be free. Our liberation as males will of necessity enhance and support the liberation of women and children. Women and children are not to blame in any way for our oppression and do benefit at all from it. Any attitudes that put these interests in opposition are mistaken.

20. […] in our world. I have been on crack maintenance my entire life. I have been searching for the fill, the band aid that masks all of the flaws on my body, in my heart, in my relationships, in my house and on my clothes. You name it, I have tried to make […]

21. […] As we’ve covered, here, boob jobs (and respect to you if that’s your choice, just do it for yourself, not us) are iffy, can be dangerous, and will require pricey maintenance. Before making such a choice, you […]

22. This is very interesting, thanks for sharing your story. But, as a woman who didn't get her breasts, really until I was about 20 or 21, I wonder if, especially as a young woman with eating disorder issues, you don't even know what your breasts would have been had you given them time (and maybe a bit of extra weight?) – Everyone develops at different rates, and I'm not joking that it took years and years for my boobs to come in. I'm almost an hourglass now, at 35, but I was a total pear through my mid-20's because my breasts just took that long to fully form and then drop a bit so they weren't so high on my chest (and flatter because they were so tight and high up). Ani DiFranco sings about this very thing, about being a 'grown woman' with breasts that hang.

IN my case, the change in my chest (now a small C) has been kind of amazing to me – and I haven't had children, either. Breasts are really fascinating things, especially how they change over time and with fitness and fatness. Also, you seem to be an extremely fit person with very low body fat – it is rare to have both that physique and also full breasts. Gaining some healthy weight might have given you naturally fuller breasts. And your development was probably significantly slowed from starving yourself. So making such a choice at 18….you don't get to experience any of those changes, or even understand that a body is not a static thing (and shouldn't be!).

Anyway, I just feel like you missed out on seeing what your breasts would have become if you had let them. Mine are so completely different as to be unrecognizable from the same person over a time period of 15 years. I def did NOT like them when I was 18, 20, or even 24. But now, they're kind of awesome. They became themselves over a really long time and honestly, they now look like the ones I wanted when I was 18!

Again, thanks for sharing your story – it made me feel incredibly grateful that I didn't have access to easy or free plastic surgery when I was a frustrated young person. And really think about and appreciate my chest more. :))

23. commaoriera says:

Brought to you by me, nice article 😉

24. Mandyland says:

a wonderful read. thank you for sharing so openly so that we can be enriched by your insights, rebecca. until i read this i only had negative views on implants. i appreciate the mind expansion:)

25. Amy Carole says:

Rebecca, THANK YOU. As a former teenage anorexic, vuloptuous inside and out, I also underwent implants at 18. And went crazy in college. And later found yoga, natural living, Bali — you name it, your article touched me deeply in so many ways.

26. […] lisant l’article de Rebecca Lammerson, je me suis identifiée avec son histoire, un professeur de yoga qui adore son métier et qui a des […]

27. agata says:

I don't mind people doing these operations but I mind them talking about how beautiful scars are. Because that does sound very hypocrite to me.

28. […] to a live round table discussion about the resurgence of silicone breast implants. My article, I’m All Natural, With Breast Implants sparked quite a conversation, well, more like a […]

29. Syrai says:

Thanks for writing this… I am 40 and a yogini and am ready to fix up my house. I loved what you said about the intention behind plastic surgery.xo

30. Lisa Brown says:

I have a question…hoping it's not too private. How has having breast augmentation effected your yoga asana practice? I'm 5 years post cancer and considering surgery to address asymmetry. I'm also a yoga instructor and really value my practice. thank you for any information you are willing to share.

Namaste,
    Lisa

31. anya says:

Oh my god thank you so kuch for this. i first stumbled on tbe article of how breast implants and yoga do not mix, and after getting them and having to get anither surgery less than a r later, felt really discouraged. tody i went to another consult because my pocket was overdissected and one of em goes into my armpit, the other one bottomed out …the doc today said i should probanly avoid yoga. and uoper body exercises. i was so traumatized thinking i made a huge mistake… then i stumbled on that other girls article… after readimg the comments i saw your link and you wrote this so beautifully… thank you. i wonder if ehat he said. was true, that if i keep doing yoga it will make them come further apart. i also wonder how the sutures are going to respond to it. if anyone knows, shoot some advice my way. thanks so much, i feel just like you do- all natural but with breast implants. taaaake care

32. anya says:

Excuse my typos i wrote this on my first ever touchsc

reen phone, haha

33. Kate says:

I appreciate this article. I have not, and probably never will, have breast augmentation, but I have had rhinoplasty. My surgery was done in a period of my life when I was not depressed, in a very healthy relationship, and contemplated getting it done for over a decade. Being a yoga teacher, I felt (and still sometimes do) guilty about teaching "self-acceptance" and loving yourself the way you are. But this is my body, and I have an appreciation for symmetry. There is nothing else I wish to change about my appearance, and my decision to have the surgery was not done with the intention of having a happier, better life afterwards. I must admit that I feel much more confident, and I have stopped wearing makeup, which makes me feel more natural than when I had a large, crooked, and congested nose and felt I needed to wear a lot of make up to draw attention away from it.

Thank you for sharing your story.

34. Sam says:

Implants aren’t forever. They often have to be replaced every ten years and some women decide to have them removed. A decision made at eighteen isn’t important but people and ideas can change. Breast implants would be fine if they weren’t a toxic plastic inside the body. Plastic is incredibly toxic to our bodies, let alone inside our bodies. I hope women consider this before choosing to make one part of their body stick out further.

35. Carla Colwell Cook says:

I waited 20 years and had augmentation at the age of 45. I have never regretted it. Not once. Nor do I care what others think of me for having them. I am, and have been a practitioner of herbal and natural medicine and a yoga student for years. I do not believe that what I choose to do with MY body is subject to anyone else’s opinions or judgement. I simply chose to alter the “meat suit” I’ve incarnated into this lifetime.

36. Olivia says:

Ah, but ethics exists and we do not live isolated, but in a social world. Personally, I would say getting boobs twice! Is a sin, bc there are so many sick and poor ppl in the world, not to mention ppl with negative body images. Writing this creates confusion in the minds of the weak, but for some of us, it's quite clear she is not very spiritual or mentally or physically healthy. Namaste desde México:)

37. Olivia says:

Evolutionary biology is not telelogical. I recommend reading more than Desmond Morris, serious evolutionary theory…please.

38. Jakar says:

As a man, I know I've got to be careful here but please girls/ladies, don't get implants because you breasts are small. Men like small breasts. If you are cool, your breasts are cool. Illness, childbirth etc, sure, if this has altered your body and your relationship, desperate times need desperate measures, but not because they don't conform to a male dominated culture's view on what is sexy. And what a culture, the bone headed culture of the average man.

Only in America could we read about an 18 year old being encouraged into breast enlargement by her father the plastic surgeon.

Rebecca you are right however to regret nothing. What is done is done. But this article just seems to add to the paranoia.

39. Deva says:

You are still quite young. You may find at some point later – as I did- that they no longer serve you. I had mine removed at 45. I practice yoga and my body feels now so much better in asana and in life. It feels more peaceful actually. And I think some things about our bodies are made specifically perfect for our dharma. I'm telling you this because I was afraid that my skin would be droopy after- not the case- right back to what I had before. And I feel differently about my body now. I really love it and appreciate it. BUT, I also had braces on my teeth when I was younger and certainly don't want to reverse that. So, it's all good.

40. tsukaira says:

No 18 year old comes from a place of maturity. Regardless of how "mature" you think you are, the cold fact is that your brain is not fully developed until about 25, especially the frontal lobe, the area responsible for decision making. I think if you want implants, you need to wait until your mid-twenties- early thirties to make the decision with complete confidence.

41. Maya says:

“ I have asked myself, “Would I have the surgery today if I had never had it done before?”

My answer is, I don’t know. The fact is, I did it and I have implants. A couple of years ago, I had to have a replacement operation. It was necessary. I did consider removing them and not replacing them, but they became a part of my body”

… I think there is your answer

42. Erica says:

As an ex flat chested dancer who got implants long before I found my way on the spiritual path, thank you for this. I too, love all of me, even the "fake" parts 🙂

43. Jen says:

Rebecca, thank you for having the courage to openly share your journey! This society tells women that beauty is currency. We our more highly valued if we are beautiful. The thing is who we really are and our real talents and character are far more valuable. The way to support our real strengths and character is by going through the struggle of defining ourselves through our actions NOT our breast size. I understand that you didn’t see yourself as being beautiful as an 18 year old. Where was the unconditionally loving supportive voice of your father? The one saying “small breasts are not a character flaw and they have absolutely no reflection of your value as a woman or a human being”. The one teaching you that any person who would judge you on your naturally small and healthy breasts is a person not worthy of your time.

I appreciate that this decision was made long ago and that the implants have now become a part of your body image and structure. The question to ask yourself is this ” Am I being compassionate with myself? Is this action or inaction supporting my journey to real connection and authenticity. ?

I wish you peace on your journey.

44. Sara says:

Thank you for sharing this. Im currently 25 and I feel good about myself but my flat cheast has always been a problem for me, I even hated when in yoga class We were asked to take a deep breath and pull out our cheast because i tought no mater How deep i breath I was NEVER gong to be able to see it like everyone else. I never said that out loud before (well, write it) because i knew people will think I was crazy for even say it, and find it stupid, but like a told my mom once, no one who doesnt live with that could understand, I know it might sound superficial, but i recently got my implants anD i really feel a los better about myself, i mean i never expected them to change my life! i only did it because it felt right, anD now i know I made the right decision, I think there's nothing wrong with having surgery if it make you feel better about yourself as long as you dont expect that the surgery itself will change your life. We shouldnt be shamed for doing it.

45. Shakti Yogini says:

Right on Yogateacher, I totally agree. High five!

46. Shakti Yogini says:

Wow, did my husband (or any one of my awesome ex-boyfriends) write this? TRULY you do NOT NEED BIG BOOBS to be happy or have an awesome husband/boyfriend! I am proof!

47. Shakti Yogini says:

I am thin (everywhere) and I've never had a problem attracting men or feeling lovable. Is it written somewhere in the Vedas that a woman's spiritual mission involves receiving feedback from random men telling us that they want to do us? Does it bring us closer to a constant remembrance of Pure Consciousness if they do? IMHO the answer is a great big NO. I was raised to be proud of my brains and my inner goodness, not whether or not my body is an "attractive" shape; and hence the men in my life have been the sweetest, most loving, mature, spiritual men I could have ever asked for. The amazing relationships I've had were all based on an intellectual attraction AS WELL as a physical one. If I'd had big boobs the guys I was lucky enough to love and be loved by wouldn't have been attracted to me and they wouldn't have been my mirrors for the personal growth I have experienced. My husband broke up with more than one of his girlfriends after they got implants, partly because he was no longer attracted to them – not only did he hate the way they felt but it revealed how shallow they were as people. I feel incredibly blessed that I don't get nasty comments and looks from creepy over-sexed pornwatching guys like I constantly see happening to voluptuous women. It is degrading to see women still treated like objects in 2013, although clearly some of them want to be treated as such. NOT ME. I would like to think that today's yoga instructors are encouraging their young students to have pride in their bodies as beautiful temples: just the way they are. This article doesn't exactly give me hope but I'll keep praying for that anyway.