Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.

Via Kristin Luce
on Apr 22, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours.

What separates “boring” from “peaceful”?

Arguably it is the magic and beauty of innocence that emerges when we are truly open. Anyone who has practiced sitting meditation for more than a few minutes knows that you have to sit through a lot of “boring” (and sometimes worse) before the peace and magic begins.

This video of a baby’s first bath, on the other hand, cuts straight to the chase!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPSAgs-exfQ&feature=share[/youtube]

Bonus: How We Can (Quickly) Wake Up Our Minds to the Present Moment.

~

Read more:

15 Special Tips for My Pregnant Friends.

The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

~

Editor: Tanya L. Markul, Photo courtesy: Kristin Luce

A mindful tip for a morning to determine our day:

About Kristin Luce

Kristin Luce is slowly going sane by using her actual life and relationships to wake up. Her quest for truth has led her through a B.A. in Philosophy, an M.A. in Buddhist Psychology, intensive retreat practice, certification as a Meditation Instructor, two life-changing relationships and two life-changing kids. She now provides in-depth coaching for individuals and couples who want profound and dramatic transformation. An avid writer, she has been featured in such publications as Mothering Magazine and The Buddhadharma, and is a regular contributor to elephant journal. Friend her on Facebook, Twitter, her website or contact her at [email protected].

Comments

262 Responses to “Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.”

1. Ayofemi says:

That was awesome. So gentle and soothing.

2. nicoleannreid says:

This video is wonderful. I have a question though. Is there some special technique she is using to bathe the baby? I have never seen anyone cup a baby's head like that in a bath tub. I realize it is a fairly new infant (hospital bracelet), but it seems like she has some kind of technique that she is doing. I saw the little infant massage at the end when the baby was in the blanket, but the bath itself looked amazing. Would love to know if there is any information out there about what she was doing! Thanks!

3. kc1979 says:

looks like the crazy "omg my baby needs to live in a bubble" moms appeared on this post. I knew they would!

4. DeDe says:

A really nice video. I wanted to offer a comment as a long time mother/baby nurse. I just wanted to clarify that this baby is not a brand new newborn. She is probably a few days old as evidenced by the jaundiced tone of her skin and her drying umbilical cord stump.

5. Craig says:

Every adult too.

6. Craig says:

I was thinking the same thing.

7. Craig says:

I wish this bath for everyone twice everyday … once as the baby and once as the nurse.

8. Raven says:

Was this really the first bath? The first Childs umbilical cord had fallen off and I remember that happening several days after birth…

9. Amanda says:

Why don't more people know about babies ability to hold their breath? It's a survival instinct when they get water on their face….

10. LILLY says:

FIRST RELAX AND SPA BATH!!! WHAT A PLEASURE FOR THE BABY AND THE DOCTOR!!!!

11. Zoey says:

boring shit

12. KristinSLuce says:

This is the clearest response I have read to the several comments about fear for the baby! Beautiful.

13. KristinSLuce says:

I read somewhere that it is in fact a very specific technique. You can check her website: http://bienetre-bebe.over-blog.fr/1-album-1354396… (but I don't speak French so it wasn't so much help to me!)

14. Guest says:

Perhaps the suggestion to watch this instead of your regular mediation is a good one. Life circumstances change. How nice to have another experience in finding peace of mind when your regular method is not possible. Easy to be full of mind, peace, and thought when in your routine, but how lovely to get there in another way.

15. Eva says:

They wrote under the video parents should not try to do this themself this is a thing that only trained proffesionals can do

16. Lillian says:

It made me very afraid. I was filled with fear that the water was going to go up the baby's nose. Instead of evoking peace, it made me fearful.

17. […] depth of our existence and try to venture back in time when life itself was nothing but a speck, when a ‘soul’ was piecing itself together, when the uncomplicated earth was giving way to complicated […]

18. right? says:

but that's the point – all infants are nose breathers

19. allison says:

this is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen

20. Joan says:

Me, too, Carol. I have been practicing TM for 30 years and nothing replaces it! It is simple, effortless
    and really works. Try it! You'lllike it! JS

21. Larry Barnes says:

I don't remember ever seeing anything so beautiful in my life. and I am 89 years old.

22. lola says:

There is something quit natural and instinctive in this for someone who is a mother. I remember well giving my child her first bath and it was quite similar. As for watching this replacing meditation, like a sort of meal replacement situation, give me a break. The spiritual materialism just never ends, does it. Making meditation continuously in to an objective to succeed at and to obtain, or as a cure with a goal has become the Western meditation jinx. Seeking for a meditation that ‘works’…is the bane of our current age. The bio of Kristin Luce says she has done 20 years of retreat practice…no she hasn’t…maybe a week here and a week or two there. Enough with the credentials already.

23. Jorge says:

Wondrous footage, but I would have found it more interesting to hear the soundtrack of the woman’s voice (presumably French) as she bathed the infant than the new-age music.

24. Tamara says:

Twenty-five years ago, I did this for my son (and myself) though admittedly I was in a bigger hurry. (LIFE!) I did it from day one, water right over the top of his sweet head and down his face. He never objected. From there, at 2 months, he went into the shower with me (for efficiency) and I swaddled him up and placed him in his carrier while I finished my shower. It just seemed a very natural concept considering where he had spent the previous 9 months.

25. KristinSLuce says:

You are right, Lola. I don't mean 20 years of solid retreat practice, but rather 20 years of engaging in retreat practice whenever I am able–and in my case that has been more than a week or two here and there. I apoligize if my bio is misleading.

26. neda says:

wonderful

27. Sam McNally says:

I'm a man who's never fathered a child (in this life) and I'm so glad this made me cry. It was achingly, and yet simply, beautiful. The caring, the simple-ness, the utter human-ness, the "this is all that matters" ness of it. The moment. The world can go away. This is real stuff.

28. June E. Morris says:

You aren't familiar with babies or you would know how relaxing that particular bath was to that
    full-term baby. He/she was thoroughly enjoying the
    experience.

29. guest says:

glad i'm not the only one who noticed! i felt cynical thinking it 🙂

30. jessica says:

it made me cry as well! why is everyone so fearful? this baby just came from being in fluid for nine months. it is much more accustomed to that than the cold harsh world. and she is a nurse…who looks quite talented in this regard. i wish this was the reality in the US but i dont think it is. it was beautiful.

31. Karie Stearns says:

Yes, this is very simular to Watsu, and while the head was partially submerged there was at no point a time when the infant did not have access to air. If you think about the environment this little being just spent the last 9 months, this experience is the most natural and peaceful it knows.

32. Laura says:

Hi Vicki, Can I ask you where you learned your techniques? I am beginning my journey into nursing (working on an RN degree) and would love to work in maternity some day. Were things like this part of your maternity training or did you have to go elsewhere? Another reason for my interest in learning is for my own baby… I'm due in a few weeks 🙂
    Thank you!
    Laura

33. Sarah says:

Am i the only one wondering whether this woman is using chlorine-free water and worrying that the babies ears are getting full of water that could lead to an ear infection? Hmm, no wonder I have trouble meditating….

Yes, I see the raw beauty of the child- I have two of my own one of whom was 3 lbs at birth. This really was a sacred and special bath that I was obviously not refined enough as a parent to share with my own kids. There is an artfullness to everyday actions when one has complete awareness of the truth and beauty of the present moment. I forget that most of the time, good reminder.

34. Watch ;Water the Great Mystery. Nearly all water, especially tap water in every country in the world is de-natured and harmful. The sentiment and idea is beautiful, however I have to wonder, andI certainly would not recommend subjecting a new born to standard water. Pure water without chlorine, flouride negative imprinting,that has been re-structured, ionized and negatively charged is the waves of the near future. For your information see http://lightwon.enagicweb.info/.

35. paz says:

i dont know which of the bird is more important – the left wing or the right wing

36. I have shared this on my page for my baby shop, absolutely wonderful and brings me back to when my children were small, my daughter loved the bath my son the shower, He loved the water running over him,….still does. Beautiful!

37. […] we set about bringing this image to fruition. The desire for a warm bath is suppressed by our obsession with finishing that last stack of paper work; the need for a long, […]

38. rhythmoftheyear says:

Quite seriously, yes.

39. rhythmoftheyear says:

I'm a midwife, mother of a preemie and have worked in sensory processing for many years. My comments reflect my experience and observation.

40. Friv Games says:

Thank you. Thank you so much.

41. tikkitavi says:

This is an incredibly beautiful video. I had no idea that this goes on in the world; it makes me happy to know that someone, somewhere practices such gentleness on babies.

42. tikkitavi says:

I also thought that for a moment, but it was clear to me that the woman performing the procedure had a trained and confident hand. She seemed to know perfectly how to maneuver the baby and the water so that the baby could always breathe. It was incredible how much the baby trusted her and how the two worked together in the process. Truly remarkable, I think.

43. Joe Sparks says:

When I saw this video it reminded me of this pre-birth memory of being in my other's womb, the most amazing feeling of my life! I felt loved and connected with everything and everyone! I did not want to leave the womb. Every since then I have been trying to re-create that experience in my life, as an athlete, dancer, massage therapist, yoga teacher. Then, I figured it out, by allowing myself to go back in time reclaiming that connection with myself and noticing me as that being inside the womb is me! Getting more and more of myself back, as I feel all those feelings of being in love with my existence!

44. angela says:

That was stressful to watch. I'm not sure why most of baby's head had to be submerged. Why is a nurse bathing the baby rather than his/her own mother?

45. susiesheartpathblog says:

Thanks for posting ♥Kristin,
    Sharing my blog post with my response to seeing this video: http://susiesheartpathblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/
    Sending LOVE♥