Via elephant journal
on May 9, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

She’s a very cool lady.

Something so poignant occurred—she thanked me. This light filled 93-year-old, beautiful, intelligent, sharp, woman, thanked me (three times) for being patient with her while she got into her poses and we made art together.

Where do I have to be? What do I have to do? Who am I not to be patient?

Master Tao Porchon Lynch, a 93-year-old yoga master, ballroom dancer, oenophile (lover of wine) and former actress and model will be inducted into the Guinness Book of World Records for being the oldest living yoga teacher—this Sunday, May 13, Mother’s Day. Inspiration beyond comprehension.

Patience—the gift that gives so much back.

“And still, after all this time, the Sun has never said to the Earth,
‘You owe me.’
Look what happens with love like that.
It lights up the sky.”
~ Hafiz

Have a sweet Mother’s Day.

~ You can learn a lot more about Master Tao here ~

~ Follow Sturman’s Art journey here ~

~ For more of Robert Sturman’s photo series of various wonderful yoga teachers (plus, a few videos in the mix).

93 and lookin' good

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

~

Editor: Kate Bartolotta

About elephant journal

Comments

137 Responses to “A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert Sturman”

1. Aigul says:

Tao Porchon Lynch (what an incredible name) reminded me about another old yoga instructor,
    Bette Calman from Australia, who is now 85-86 years old.
    These amazing ladies who are so life loving and bright are really inspiring!

2. […] http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/05/a-meeting-in-central-park-with-the-oldest-living-yoga-teacher… Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → Uncategorized ← What is Hygge? No comments yet […]

3. Peggy Tiner says:

Well, she was missing a foot in one photo but not in the others. Who forgot the foot?

4. Lisa Cooper says:

An inspiration to us all! And especially grateful to Tao for the wonderful teachers that she has helped inspired!
    Thank you.
    Namaste

5. Maude says:

Mine too!!!! How beautiful she is.

6. ValCarruthers says:

I suspect that innocence you perceive is revealed because Robert has photographed a true master. Masters such as Tao see every moment with the pure wonder of beginner's mind.

7. ValCarruthers says:

My initial reaction to these gorgeous photos was wowowowow!!! Then came my deeper response: Look! This is the result of a lifetime of practicing and living your yoga. Master Lynch is the goddess of peacock and side plank much the way that Vanda Scaravelli was the goddess of backbends almost until her passing in her late eighties. My own teacher, Betty Larsen, continues to be an inspiration at 70. Pranams. My prayer is that if I can do a fraction of what these yoginis do, when I hit 93 in thirty years, I will be deeply grateful. As the homily goes, it's not the years in your life but the life in your years.

8. RS says:

Val. What a beautiful paragraph. I’m scheduling a shoot with you when you’re 93. I’ll be knocking on your door 30 years from today! Thank you for taking the time, for looking at the work and connecting to the deeper soulfulness of it.

9. stein says:

please look at B.K.S. IYENGAR for age, pose and all the rest… and you'll find the difference between guiness book + central park and Yoga

10. Dale Elson says:

She doesn’t think of herself as being 93, she thinks of herself as being her. So when her age slows her down, she apologizes, because she isn’t really that old :-).

11. Emily C says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous.

I just got my 80 year old grandma her first yoga mat for her birthday, will have to show her these pictures for inspiration!!

Love it 🙂

12. […] the oldest living yoga teacher […]

13. Maria D says:

Divina !

14. Noelle says:

BKS Iyengar is 93 too and is still teaching. Though not as nice looking in a red dress like this lady. 😉

15. bhajankaur says:

Great, how she the environment go together. opposing, yet synthesizing. like the threes, connecting earth with the heavens.
    Beautiful, this rich, paasionate red!

16. Ann Henrie says:

These are SO beautiful and radiant. I love Robert Sturman's comment, "Who am I not to be patient?" This woman is awe-inspiring!

17. […] 2011: My Mom Was… […]

18. […] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert…. Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. 13/05/2012 by Frk Lilla Lykke […]

19. Imelda Ryan says:

How wonderfully inspiring,i am 62 and love my Yoga practice,this inspires me to keep going. Thanks for the article.

20. Deoxy says:

Your article is inaccurate as this man is the oldest at 108 years old http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=105711

21. Lolo says:

Master Tao is an amazing inspiration and attestation to what yoga can do for your mind and body. I think its amazing she is getting into the Guinness book of records and we should all be motivated by her. Yet, she is not the oldest yoga teacher in the world – perhaps only in the Western world. I have met and heard of several in India that are over 100s. I had a class with a 103 year old yogi myself in Rishikesh, India in November, 2011.

22. […] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert…. […]

23. emilie carron says:

i work very much myself lada 80 years old, to reach her level i need more than 20 years, master tao torchen she is marvelous.

24. Lori S. says:

I have been a student of Tao's for over a decade and she never ceases to amaze me. I am also proud to be one of her 400 "children."

25. karenyoungyoga says:

Tao’s accomplishments are many: practicing yoga for 84 years, teaching for 40 years, marching with Ghandi, hanging out with the Dalai Lama, becoming an accomplished model and actress, a champion ballroom dancer and a wine expert. When asked if she has any children, she always answers: “yes, 400 of them”, referring to the many yoga teachers (including me!) she has trained.

When I first met Tao, I was, as we all are, taken with her accomplishments. I wanted to figure out her secrets so I could apply the same principles to my life. Once I got to know Tao better, the person behind the accomplishments came into focus. She is a solidly rooted tree, a symbol of everything that is good in this world, teaches us to act with our whole hearts, and to never forget out inner child. She enchants everyone she meets, helps us to forget our pain and age, and to work beyond our perceived abilities. All of her teachers training graduates are proud to be branches on her tree.

If there one was award for making the world a better place on a mental, physical and spiritual level, helping people shed all negative thoughts about aging and ability, it would be Tao's. But until then, she will keep adding to her collection. The Guinness award honors Tao for her gift of keeping us all young and vibrant regardless of how many years pass. Thank you for sharing yourself with the world Tao! -karenyoungyoga.com

26. A. Fajardo says:

Her energy is so so beautiful.

27. Arthur says:

Tao Porchon Lynch – What poise and grace shinning with such beauty.

28. TiZ says:

oh, how very beautiful. thank you.

i celebrated a very different mother's day but mother's day nonethless. would be honored if you read…

here on elephant.

xx

29. Robert says:

mama – i'm proud to be yours.

30. naturesartmelbourne says:

What an inspiration she is – blessings her way.

31. […] sursa Tweet Adaugat in sanatatea familiei, yoga/fitness Etichetat inspiratie, Master Tao Porchon Lynch Bookmark permalink « Penguin Cam: live video of the “Penguin Encounter” at SeaWorld® San Diego. […]

32. […] me, it’s been a long road. But those who are “on the path” and have come before me would probably just laugh and say, “Sharon, you’ve only just […]

33. Светлана says:

Здорово это итоги работы над своим возрастом и комплексами, доказать что человек даже в этом возрасте сможет удивить мир!

34. Steven says:

I agree that it may be very possible that there are older Yoga teachers, in fact very likely. Please if you know of one post their information.

35. veena dhingra says:

thank you for sharing these wonderful photographs,these are so inspiring..yoga at this age with so grace in never seen before,thanks .God bless you

36. […] Mr. Sturman’s stunning photos of Tao Porchon Lynch, a 93-year-old yoga master pictured in a red flowing gown, have been making the rounds on Facebook […]

37. yogasamurai says:

Sweet Mother's Day concept, Robert, and more "outside the box," aesthetically, which I also really like. You're decoupling "youth" from "beauty" and restoring grace, elegance, wisdom and longevity to their proper place in our understanding. I would go so far as to say that it's possible to be too young to be "beautiful." Sexy, comely, even hot, yes, but beautiful, you got to have mileage – and life experience. The "Lady in Red" – what a riff!

38. […] A Meeting In Central Park With The Oldest Living Yoga Teacher In The World. ~ Photographed by Robert… […]

39. Joyce Foster says:

I will be 93 in July and and still do simple yoga asanas. I stopped teaching yoga at 90 as I was swamped with my committments. My daughter has been a yoga teacher and dance teacher (still teaches dance and yoga at 2 different colleges) for many years. I used to teach ballet and tap. " The oldest teacher" is a winner. May you both enjoy the peace and love you emit.

40. Prema says:

So gorgeous!

41. Judyth Hill says:

HOw magnificent…this lights up the world…thank you Robert, for this gift!

42. kluanesuperstar says:

Lovely photos and great inspiration. However, in sheer numbers of years practicing & teaching yoga, BKS Iyengar and Sri Patabi Jois outnumber the years as yogi teachers and practitioners.

43. william sherman ,md says:

It is wonderful to see how a lifelong practice of yoga can make for longevity. As a geriatric physician I am impressed.

44. tjk says:

I've been to an older yoga teacher in India. The title is inaccurate and needs to be changed.

45. Cat says:

This is so inspirational! Thank you for this article. It has re-energised my day and gives us all something wonderful to aspire to.