What could we achieve if we only had some nerve?
The yoga studio where I practice has devoted this month to studying courage.
For me, courage is both elusive and self-empowering. I have great difficulty overcoming nerves to do something that makes me uncomfortable, or nervous. Yet, once I have mustered the courage to do it, I feel incredible, unstoppable and unflappable. I’m filled with self-confidence. I also find that the more I force myself to do something I am afraid of, the more courage I possess—courage begets courage.
Fear is so often what stands in the way of living our dreams or going after what we really want. If we all devote this month to courage, beginning today, now, this very minute, imagine what we could all achieve.
Here are five things to do this month that will increase your self confidence:
1. Talk to a stranger once a day—starting today.
2. Learn a new skill or recipe each week.
3. Master a yoga pose or sequence. If you’re experienced, pick one that frightens you (a little bit—play safe, prepare thoroughly). If you don’t do yoga, find a nice beginner’s video and try a little sequence. Be gentle on yourself, and pay particular attention to alignment. This can take just a few minutes a day.
4. Ask someone for something that you want but were too timid to ask.
5. Speak up. Find your voice. Stand up against something you think is wrong or misinformed. Be an advocate for someone or something that you believe in. I consider myself low-key. But when someone says anything less than glowing to me about one of my friends? You can bet I will launch a staunch defense, regardless of who I’m speaking with.
And a bonus step: keep the momentum going. Sign up to train for a half marathon, enroll in an art class, volunteer to teach a class/give a presentation that you’ll prepare for over the next couple of months. Whatever fulfills you.
The important part: let’s remember to keep ourselves out of our comfort zone.
What have I forgotten? Let me know in comments what you’re doing this month to increase your natural self-confidence?
Like elephant journal on Facebook.
Lara Chassin is a lawyer and apprentice editor for elephant journal. When she is not lawyering or editing, she enjoys practicing yoga, bike riding, skiing, running, traveling and feeding her loved ones through cooking, baking or over-ordering at restaurants. Rest assured that her tendency to overindulge is a big reason for her enjoyment of athletic pursuits. She lives in the city but frequently escapes to the mountains or the beach.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 110 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 42,542 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,514 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,846 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,027 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,800 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 245 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 2,521 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 111 shares