“If life hands you a lemon say ‘Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?'” ~ Henry Rollins
I’ve never gotten the whole “life giving you lemons” analogy.
Lemons are awesome!
A friend asked me why I go through a whole bag of lemons most weeks. Here’s why:
1. Start your day with water and lemon for an instant healthy energizer.
2. Put a leftover piece of lemon in your garbage disposal to freshen it up.
3. Cheap and natural fruit and veggie wash: one tablespoon lemon juice, one tablespoon white vinegar and one cup of water in a spray bottle.
4. Add a squeeze of lemon to the water when you are cooking rice. It keeps it from sticking and adds a small amount of flavor.
5. Natural highlights! Put a little lemon juice in your hair before you go out in the sun.
6. Throw a few handfuls of Romaine, half a pear and the juice of one lemon in the blender. Green Lemonade!
7. Dip half a lemon in salt and use to scrub brass or silver (and polish up your sink).
8. Lemon Bars:
9. Clear out a phlegmy cold with half a lemon, some fresh ginger, honey and hot water.
10. Clean a wooden cutting board: sprinkle it with coarse salt and then rub down with the lemon and rinse.
11. Make fruits and veggies last longer. Squeeze a little lemon juice on greens and any fruit that’s been sliced to keep it from oxidizing.
12. Keep ants (and other bugs) away. A little lemon juice and water around doorways can keep them away and doesn’t make you (or your pets) sick.
13. Add a teaspoon of lemon zest to pretty much anything you bake. It’s a great “Mmm…what’s did you use in this?” ingredient.
14. Throw a slice in some Earl Grey tea mid-afternoon. The citrus plus the small amount of caffeine is great to perk you up but not leave you sleepless come bedtime.
15. Lemon Sugar body scrub: Equal parts raw sugar and jojoba or apricot kernel oil plus the zest of one lemon. Put it all in a empty jam jar and it makes a cute gift too.
16. Dry some lemon peel and add mint for homemade herbal tea.
17. Throw half a lemon in your dishwasher to freshen it and the dishes.
18. Make my favorite quinoa salad: Take two cups cooked quinoa, juice of half a lemon, red onion, diced tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, one cup black beans (cooked or BPA-free canned), a little EVOO and a little sea salt. Chill it. You’re welcome!
19. Use lemon juice to get ballpoint pen off your clothes. (Seems to happen to me as soon as I buy a new shirt.)
20. Make Limoncello.
21. Skip the bleach. Soak white stuff in equal parts lemon juice and baking soda.
22. Squeeze them in people’s eyes.
23. Just kidding! Skip #22. But lemon juice is great as a toner for your skin.
24. Skip the candles. Let some sliced lemon and rosemary or lavender simmer on the stove.
25. And of course, you can also make lemonade.
Like elephant journal on Facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 4,334 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,126 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 11,352 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 2,103 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 210 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,794 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 2,355 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 2,106 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 176 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 458 shares