I consider myself an Eisenhower Republican. Which is to say, in today’s terminology, a far-left extremist Democrat. ~ ed.
I respect many of the Republican’s traditional values: non-intervention in foreign wars, small government, personal freedoms. But from the Patriot Act through WMDs and “Corporations are People, my friend”—the only evolution acknowledged in GOP party platform is an anti-science, in-the-pockets-of-big-business small-mindedness and bigotry that is, as President Obama pointed out the other day, so old school it feels as if we’re watching black and white TV.
But things aren’t, thankfully, all black and white. As GOP Senator Lindsey Graham said, “Why can’t America have the cleanest air and the cleanest water of any place on the planet? You don’t have to believe in global warming to share that vision.”
Still, generally, modern Republicans (as opposed to, say, the Nixon era that saw the formation of the Clean Air Act and EPA) are anything but conservative.
Here’s 10 Reasons why, if we heart health and nature, it’s time to send a signal to the GOP that they need to, you know, evolve:
2. This kind of story is so common most of us don’t bother to get angry, let alone read: “House GOP Votes to Transfer Tens of Thousands of Acres of Minnesota Public Lands to the State for Sulfide Mining.”
3. You know, Global Warming doesn’t exist. (Recent: Romney Mocks Obama’s Pledge to Address Global Warming — As GOP Delegates Laugh at the Whole Notion.”) Another: “The Republicans are now the anti-science party. On climate change and evolution, the party’s presidential hopefuls are wilfully ignorant.”
4. Symbolic, but deeply significant in its symbolism: when the GOP retook the House, “GOP Cancels Biodegradable Packaging, Brings Toxic Styrofoam Back.”
5. Follow the Money. Along with Wall Street, Big Oil loves Rmoney: “Major fossil fuel companies are financing an effort to defeat President Obama.” Keystone musta pissed someone off.
8. GOP leaders loudly, proudly want to defund, unplug the already-weak EPA: “GOP Bleeds Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with Aim to Gut it Powerless – EPA kept its regulatory powers, but funding for climate science, wetlands protection, clean drinking water, nuclear waste disposal & more slashed.” Another: “GOP Trying to Weaken Clean Air Laws While Half of All Americans Still Breathe Polluted Air: The threats to the Clean Air Act are coming from the Republican side of Congress, in bills to strip the U.S. EPA of funding and curtail its powers to regulate air emissions. ”
9. “In my state (CO), we are already losing jobs thanks to the Republican threats to end wind subsidies.” Same goes for solar.
10. Generally, GOPers heart fracking. “GOP Wouldn’t Allow Lawmaker To Recast Accidental Vote That Reversed North Carolina Fracking Ban.”
Want to make a change? Vote.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 106 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 38,172 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,418 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,764 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,907 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,630 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 225 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,239 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 111 shares