The Best Piece of Advice I Ever Was Given. ~ Ben Ralston

Via Ben Ralston
on Dec 13, 2012
get elephant's newsletter
Photograph: paulprescott.com

I was in an Ashram,

having my hedonistic, narcissistic, capitalist-conditioned mind blown open by a small group of people who dedicate their lives—completely—to the benefit of the world around them. A small group of Swamis.

Before I left I asked my favorite Swami for a piece of advice. Here’s what he said:

“Turn every moment into a Sadhana (spiritual practice) of some kind. For example, when I’m walking from the hall to the canteen I simply focus on my breath. Make every moment sacred. That is the only way to remain disciplined.”

The Sacred is in every moment. And if we find it—by paying attention to our breath, or the feel of the Earth beneath our feet, or the light in our child’s eyes—if we find it (by being present), we stay focused and disciplined.

When we find it we reconnect with an infinite wellspring of motivation, inspiration, and love.

But if we lose it we have lost ourselves.

Please spread the love by sharing this post with others? Tweet it, Facebook share button it, email it. Make it a moment of sacred practice!

And feel free to leave a comment—what’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

Comments

58 Responses to “The Best Piece of Advice I Ever Was Given. ~ Ben Ralston”

1. Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you brother, keep up the good work.

2. elephantjournal says:

Hi Hector, Yes, we have blocked you several times now and have communicated this to you by email in the past, due to your decision to continuously berate others in comments on the site and on Facebook. Peace brother! Instead of stewing in your anger at the person who wronged you and dumping it all over the place, might be time to look inward and find some peace. Our decision to block you is due to your refusal to comply with our (very lenient) guidelines, and we will continue to block you as long as it continues. Disagreement is wonderful & grist for the mill—it's how we learn. Constant spam, insults, etc. as we've discussed will not be allowed. ~ Kate

3. Humored says:

Kate,
    What will you do? Block every IP from every computer in the world?
    You cannot.
    You allow blog posts that let others attack people that cannot defend themselves. I just read one where a woman attacked her husband whom was divorcing her, and she sent the link to family members, and he came back and responded as to how she was putting up a one sided view, how he had not found anyone else, but was just sick of HER, and was very respectful.
    Everyone IGNORED his comments and just kept blowing smoke up the writer's butt.
    This is Narcissistic Personality Disorder, also known as "Spiritual Materialism" or "Self Cherishing".
    You delete links that show descriptions of narcissistic personality disorder, because you know the similarity of it to your and most of EJs behavior.
    You allow ganging up and berating, but do not allow defense against this.
    You, hilariously, spout how Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche is your idol, ironically, as he was against ALL YOU DO.
    It's in the FIRST CHAPTER of "cutting through spiritual materialism".
    I will respond to your comment, from another computer.
    I will KEEP responding, until you are EQUAL in your handling of ALL comments, not coddling your own narcissism.
    Attempting to have the last word only gave you a temporary reprieve.
    As I said, you can't block every computer, especially public ones, as you just did.

4. karlsaliter says:

I also spend time in ashrams and meditation centers when I can manage to. It is an honor to pause and be surrounded by people who focus on finding what is next internally. Sometimes I believe the most important work on earth is happening in spiritual communities. 17 years ago in Woodstock at Karma Triyana, Tenzin Monk told me

"After your meditation, don't judge your meditation. It happened. That is enough."

Thank you for a great short piece on such an important topic.

5. Beefalie says:

The best advice I was ever given: "Be yourself."

6. CatCamp says:

"Abusers are attracted to people with poor boundaries."
    Indeed. I am well underway in recovering from the trauma of being romantically involved with an alcoholic sociopath (love fraud, to be sure). I recently woke up to the fact that the lesson at hand was indeed boundaries. Now, how to develop/hone them?

7. Laima says:

Best advice I’ve got was an observation from a friend who said “everyone serves a purpose of some kind. And it is always something important”. The fact is you never know what it is. You can be a narcissist who teaches someone to be at peace as well as someone so perfect by a book can give a good example on bullying. Eater way everyone need all those lessons. We need Ghandi and Mother Theresa’s examples in our lives, but what would happen if everyone in this world would be just like them? Light doesn’t go without darkness- Yoga Sutras will support this if you study them (or any religion). So embrace it all, then we can find harmony. We all need each other no matter who we are or what we do or where we go wrong. Manifest your passion and then please it! Namaste

8. Rosa Duran says:

Great article/advice; however that last sentence rings untrue because the second you realize you’ve lost yourself in thought- that is presence to the now once gain, and again and…