Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) Yoga has been recognized as the “coolest new yoga trend” by Women’s Health Magazine for 2013 and proves to be a great workout balancing both ease and strength.
The physical, mental and health benefits of incorporating SUP Yoga into your lifestyle are insurmountable. As you move and flow on your board, in the ocean, you will experience pure bliss fill your entire being.
Here’s why you should take your yoga practice off your mat and onto the water:
1. There is no better way to get out of your head and into the present moment than to step off land and allow yourself to be supported by a new foundation, the vast wide-open ocean. Leaving the comfort of what you know and breaking into a foreign space is where change happens. This is where freedom erupts and inspiration is found.
2. The physical benefits outweigh any land workout. You will undoubtedly strengthen and tone your abdominals, obliques, biceps, triceps, shoulders and even your feet. In order to stabilize and balance in the water, your muscles must engage and work hard giving you a fit physique you’ll want to show off.
3. You can tan while you workout! Imagine savasana while floating on the oceans surface as the waves roll beneath you and the sunbeams down on your peaceful body. Who wouldn’t want to experience this bliss?
4. You will challenge yourself on a whole new level. SUP Yoga is a perfect way to cross train whether you are an experienced yogi, a fit athlete, runner, or a pro paddler. The board is constantly moving, the water is never predictable and each class incorporates unique postures and breath work that will leave you craving more.
5. Your endorphins will reach an all time high. The water and all of its magnificence has the ability to create shifts in thoughts, moods and perspectives. Taking time to appreciate Mother Nature brings awareness back to your purpose of living on this beautiful Earth. Your body and mind will experience a natural high as you flow through yoga asanas with consciousness.
Take an epic chance! Get on a board, paddle out into the open sea and expand your active lifestyle to greater depths than you knew possible.
Surrender your mind, body and soul as you allow the waves of the ocean to support you fully.
To find a SUP Yoga class near you, check out NamasteSUP, a great resource for the top Stand Up Paddle Yoga companies around.
Marissa Rose is an SUP Yoga instructor in Laguna Beach, CA. She has recently moved to Southern California from Philadelphia in order to pursue her dreams in creating her own SUP yoga flow and teacher training. Marissa aims to inspire others to live their wildest dreams by sharing her experiences as her life unfolds! She is currently teaching at SUP Company Laguna Beach and is developing their first SUP Yoga Teacher Training for next fall!
Like elephant yoga on Facebook.
Assistant Ed: Karla Rodas/Ed: Bryonie Wise
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 54,956 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,492 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,347 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 4,745 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,018 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 2,180 shares