Via Marylee Fairbanks
on Apr 30, 2013
get elephant's newsletter

Monsanto List

“Who wants popcorn?” My husband enters the room with two, blue bowls.

My son and I cheer. We lift up the blanket, pat the open spot on the cushion in between us and turn the movie on.

“Did you add some butter and salt?” Our son asks as he dips his hand in the bowl and stuffs it. Little white puffs poke out from in between his fingers.

“I sure did.”

But, we had no idea that we were serving him a side of poison.

I didn’t know my “Simply Salted” Orville Redenbacher popcorn was genetically modified. The packaging seemed so straight forward, with earthy colors and the word “Naturals” in big, brown capitals. I have been buying this tainted food for years and feeding it to my child.

I make an effort to be a responsible shopper. I read my bread labels and pass on anything enriched, I never buy products with fake sweeteners and I try to stick to organic fruits and vegetables. My son is a picky eater so I purchased products that are lower in sugar. I thought a graham cracker or Wheat Thin was a decent snack because these were treats my mother gave me.

I assumed, as most of us do, that the government is looking out for us. I was wrong.Our government protects the big, wealthy corporations, at the expense of our children’s health. Grocery stores across America are stocked with food that can make us ill.

GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism. Apparently, nature has gotten it all wrong because crops are  now grown with the objective of adding or eliminating certain characteristics.

For example, Monsanto developed a corn that is genetically modified with Bt Protein. When the insect feeds on this plant, their stomachs rupture.

Monsanto claims that by the time the food gets to our tables it is safe. But, an article published in the International Journal of Biological Sciences, in 2009, reported studies proving that when rats ate the GM corn, they suffered from organ failure.

GMOs were introduced in 1996. Since then chronic illnesses have jumped from 7 percent to 13 percent. Food allergies, autism, reproductive disorders, and digestive problems are all on the rise as well.

President Obama signed a bill, in April 2013, often referred to as The Monsanto Protection Act, granting Monsanto immunity from federal courts. It means that no one can stop them from planting GM crops even if they are deemed to be a danger to health or the environment.

Bayer created a group of insecticides called neonicotinoids. These and other harmful Monsanto insecticides, are not properly monitored by our protection agencies and have been linked to cancer and the honeybee death rates.

The label Colony Collapse Disorder implies somehow that it is a flaw in the bees themselves but this is as deceiving as Orville’s packaging. This year the honeybee death rate ranged from 40-90 percent across the United States.

Luckily for Monsanto, Harvard Microrobotics Lab has been working on its Micro Air Vehicles Project since 2009. They are making robotic bees to replace the real ones and it is said that Monsanto is using them to pollinate their crops.

The use of both Neonicotiniods and GM crops are banned in Europe, but in the United States they are not even monitored.

Monsanto has also formed a partnership with a drug company called Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc.to create biopesticides. Alnylam also has advanced drugs for treatment of liver cancers and tumors. Monsanto produces the food that gives causes illness then partners up with the companies that cure it.

DSC_7404

Last week, I emptied out my kitchen cabinets. I was shocked to see how many things in my cabinets were Genetically Modified.

We may feel powerless against the big corporations that run our government. But, we can take control of what we bring into our homes.

Here are a few things to do that will keep you and your family safer. Bring this list of GMO products when you are shopping and share it with everyone you can.  Stop supporting the companies that put profits ahead of the consumer’s well being.

Buy Organic

Certified organics are not allowed to contain any GMO. Fruits and vegetables have a number code on them organic always starts with the number nine.

Keep GMOs out of your home garden. There are lots of places online that you can order organic seeds and ask at your local nursery where they got their seeds.

Don’t be fooled by the deceiving catch phrases: whole grain, all natural, select harvest and real fruit.

Avoid:

Soy Lecithin is considered GMO, and sweeteners like aspartame, NutraSweet and Equal are derived from GM microorganisms. These ingredients are found in over 6000 products.

Eat less meat and make sure dairy products are free from antibiotics.

Never Buy:

Life Saver

Lipton

Loma Lindia

Marie Callender’s

Mazola

Minute Maid

Morningstar Farms (unless organic line)

Ms. Butterworths

Rice-Roni

Ritz

Rosetto Frozen Pasta

Simply Home

Skippy

Smart Ones

Smucker’s: unless labeled “Simply 100% Fruit”

Snack Wells

Uncle Ben’s

Unilever

V8

Voila

Wheat Thins

Baby foods: Beech-nut, Enfamil, Good start, Nestle, Similac, Isomil

Bonus: Non-GMO Shopping Guide.
Read more: Why don’t we like GMOs?
And more: 5 Myths about Genetically Engineered Foods. {Infographic}

And a bonus app for your phone called Buycott.

Like elephant food on Facebook.

Ed: Kate Bartolotta

About Marylee Fairbanks

Marylee Fairbanks is a columnist for Gaiam, elephant journal, My Life Yoga, and Bliss.com, Her essays explore Motherhood and yoga, but mainly focus on her experiences with her young son and the many ways he helps her grow. She is a registered yoga teacher and founder of Chakras Yoga and The 24 Things. She teaches Chakras Balancing workshops and yoga classes. Prior to having her son, she performed in Broadway musicals across the country. Marylee lives in Massachusetts with her husband, son, and dogs. Find her on her website and follow her on twitter.

Comments

151 Responses to “Butter, Salt & a Side of Poison: How to Protect your Family from Monsanto & Genetically Modified Foods. ~ Marylee Fairbanks”

1. chakras yoga says:

Dear “You forgot facts”,
    Please allow me to respond to your thoughtful and extensive comment. I am grateful for the opportunity to respond to the additional factors you raised.
    I do not go into great detail of the history of the “Monsanto Protection Act.” or the House and Senates arm-twisting to get it passed because this is not an article about that.
    I wrote an article about GMO foods in this country and how we might avoid them. To delve into the reasons behind the signing of such a horrible bill would be an article in itself.
    Perhaps, you can write this since you seem to have an extensive knowledge on the subject. I am sure Elephant Journal would be happy to publish your point of view.
    As far as GMO foods feeding the poor of the world, you need to do your research. GMO foods are banned in almost every country except the United States and Canada, so they would not go far as an “economic resource for the world”.
    For a complete list please see this website http://www.organicconsumers.org/gefood/countriesw
    Yes, I do hold President Obama accountable for his signing of the “Monsanto Protection Act.” Not because of his hair, eye, or skin color. Not because of his gender, religious background, or sexual preference, or political party, but because he is the President and leader and ultimately he is responsible for what he signs into legislation in this country.
    It doesn’t matter what bullying, bribery, or bureaucracy forced his hand.
    When I voted for President Obama. (Twice) I did it because I thought he might be the one to make real change in this country. I thought he might put the American citizens before big business. In this case, I was wrong.
    By the way, you detracted from your informed argument by bringing race into this discussion.
    I trust that you know the quote “We do not see the world as it is, we see the world as we are”. It has been attributed to the Talmud, Buddha, and Anais Nin.

2. chakras yoga says:

Dear “You forgot facts”,
    It doesn’t matter what bullying, bribery, or bureaucracy forced his hand.

3. chakras yoga says:

go meleroy… go

4. Rita says:

Go Marylee! I voted for Obama (twice) too and am totally disgusted by his betrayal of the liberal and foreign policy positions he espoused but quickly abandoned once re-elected. And I too hold him responsible for signing this Monsanto protection legislation. Moreover, his connections to Monsanto and GMO proponents goes much further than simply signing off on the legislation. For a great blog article on this subject, see Jon Rappoport's article: "How Did Barack Obama Become Monsanto's Man in Washington?" You can access this at: http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/how-
    Glad you are in there getting the word out on GMO's. xo, Rita

5. chakras yoga says:

Thank you Rita for writing and sharing the articles. All we can do is get people thinking about it and making small changes.

6. Steve says:

Great idea Mike. That's why labeling is so important. FYI- I noticed Coca Cola was on the list of don't buy items, and I'm assuming it's because of the high fructose corn syrup. Most of soft drink products are tainted with it, however the imported Coke bottled in Mexico does not contain HFCS but is actually made with real cane sugar. It is the "real thing". I also read somewhere that it is considered "kosher", maybe someone could verify that. The Mexican Coke tastes a whole lot better too, not as sweet, foamier and richer.

7. chakras yoga says:

DMC.. I will try to do that but I sort of feel like people need to take responsibility for what goes into their own homes. I can provide a list of what is contaminated but the thought of going out into Whole Foods and doig a compare contrast with prices and ingredients is a lot to do. Maybe I can start a list contributed by others as well as myself offering alternatives. that might work.

8. Paul says:

While I also think your fears are preposterous and unfounded and driven by environmental fear mongers who are every bit as hungry for your donation dollars as any corporation, your assertion that popcorn is genetically modified is patently FALSE, FALSE, FALSE. Please look it up, do just the MINIMUM of research before you go scaring the crap out of people. This essentially throws all of your credibility out the window. Did you know there's not only pop corn, but SWEET corn (also not gmo) and FEED corn (that is GMO) used for animal feed and oils? Get educated, please.

9. chakras yoga says:

Paul
    Please allow me to answer both your points.
    I think I understand from your comment that you believe GMO foods are perfectly safe and that “environmental fear mongers” are spreading false information.
    Please see this article written by a former GMO scientist who was on payroll in Canada for research GMO foods. He has “changed his position” that GMO foods are safe. He writes a letter and asks people to share it. He writes in no uncertain terms that GMO foods are not safe to eat and are hazardous to the environment.

Point two: You believe that NO popcorn is GMO. I have done quite a bit of reading on this subject and here is what I found.
    Orville is owned by ConAgra. They are among the most heavily into Genetically Modified Foods.
    Yes, there is debate as to whether or not popcorn is GMO. If your argument is correct that no popcorn is GM then Orville must use other ingredients such as oils that are GM because they have admitted using biotech ingredients in their popcorn.
    Here is an email FROM CONAGRA regarding Orville Redenbacher popcorn. Perhaps, after reading the words that they wrote you will change your mind.

*****
    Thank you for your email concerning our Orville Redenbacher's White Kernels.

If you prefer to purchase products that do not contain biotech ingredients, we can recommend organic products. Per the USDA's certification requirements for organic products, organic ingredients cannot be derived from biotech (genetically modified) seeds.
    Some of our products contain ingredients that were produced from crops produced using biotechnology. All of these ingredients are approved by the USDA and the FDA, and we stand by the safety and integrity of our ingredients.*
    The products that most likely contain biotech ingredients would be those that contain corn and soybean. Biotechnology modified versions of these crops have been approved for use and are common in the food supply. Because they are fundamentally the same as crops developed through traditional breeding, they are difficult to segregate and trace. Even if they were traceable, our formulas and suppliers change from time to time, so we couldn't say definitively if biotech ingredients are included in a specific product. We stand by the safety and integrity of our ingredients.
    Our labeling practices follow all government regulations. The FDA requires labeling when a food's nutritional content is significantly changed or if the food could cause an allergic reaction in some people. But when an approved biotech food is virtually the same as its traditional form and its nutritional content is not changed significantly, the FDA does not require special labeling. This is the case with all of our products.

10. chakras yoga says:

Paul

Please allow me to answer both your points.

Please see this article written by a former GMO scientist who was on payroll in Canada and researched GMO foods. He has “changed his position” that GMO foods are safe. If you are aware of credible scientist who argue your point please share it here. I think you make some careless attributions. But, if there is merit to your point of view I would value seeing the data that supports it.

Here is the letter from Thierry Vrainand. He asks people to share it. He writes in no uncertain terms that GMO foods are not safe to eat and are hazardous to the environment.

Here is an email FROM CONAGRA regarding Orville Redenbacher popcorn. Perhaps, after reading the words that they wrote you will help me to reconcile what you believe to be true, with what they have admitted.

**********
    Thank you for your email concerning our Orville Redenbacher's White Kernels.

11. chakras yoga says:

Educated enough for you paul?

12. chakras yoga says:

Aisha
    Here is an email FROM CONAGRA stating that the Orville popcorn is GMO
    **********
    Thank you for your email concerning our Orville Redenbacher's White Kernels.

13. paul says:

There is no debate. THERE IS NO GMO POPCORN. Despite what you believe this technology cannot be used without approval from the government.

The oils they use for microwave popcorn, if they are corn or soybean oil, are likely GMO since more than 90% of corn and soybeans grown in the country are to GMO varieties. But there is no GMO popcorn, period, end of story.

As a responsible food company responding to consumer concerns and regulation (and possible litigation), OF COURSE they are not going to give you any assurance in writing or otherwise that at the end of the process, the whole package is GMO free. That would be irresponsible. I think their response is appropriate. I also don't think GMOs are poisoning anyone. Just because a technology works and everyone is making a measure of profit on it (including FARMERS, or most especially FARMERS because they use less in the way of inputs and the crops are less prone to stress related yield loss) doesn't necessarily make it evil or poisonous. I've read many of the stories food activists site as well as reviews of these studies. I'm not impressed.

I would suggest you do a couple of things in addition to poring over the internet and talking to others who parrot your position … go out and actually TOUR some farms in the midwest using this technology. TALK to farmers about the benefits of biotechnology. Or, horror of horrors, actually VISIT Monsanto (as I have on a couple of occasions) and talk to the real HUMAN BEINGS that are working on these technologies, some of the best and brightest young people (NOT ROBOTS or HUMANOIDS!) who believe they are making the world a better place.

I am not bought and paid for by anybody, I am just sick and tired of the ridiculous overstatement of risk and fear mongering in the environmental community. I was on that side years ago when we were cleaning up the environment and doing good work. Now it's just a big scare game for dollars. If you dig into all the research I am sure you've read, you'll find bias every bit as onerous on the environmental side as anything ever put out by Monsanto or any other business. The extremes have hijacked the movement. It's sickening.

You and I will never see eye to eye on this, but your side cannot be allowed to say what you say without challenge.

14. chakras yoga says:

I do not mind the challenge at all. You can believe what you like and eat what you like. And I am sure you know more than a scientist who actually worked with GMO poison and now denounces it.
    Good luck to you

15. paul says:

Just your inappropriate use of the word "poison" shows you're lost to the rhetoric and oblivious to real science. It's all scare, no substance. This kind of nonsense ensures food insecure nations who believe the scientists you revere will continue to refuse to consider biotechnology as a viable science, and starve. Well, at least they won't die of "GMO poisoning," so you can feel good about that.

OK, I'm going to stop harshing your blog now. For the record, I recycle, I think local food during the 6 months a year is available in my area is great, and I support our market's growing organic section. There are some terrific things happening driven by grassroots efforts. But the anti-GMO thing is a bunch of bull, and these beliefs are not, in my humble opinion, mutually exclusive.

Good luck to you as well.

16. chakras yoga says:

I highly doubt that Austria, France Germany, Luxembourg, Portugal, Greece, Spain, UK, Switzerland, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Algeria, Brazil, Paraguay, China, japan, Shri Lanka, and more have BANNED GMO crops and import based on "rhetoric" and faulty science.

Context is everything. It would help me and other readers to understand, to place a premium or a discount on what you are saying by understanding who you work for. Some have speculated that you work for the industry. Please confirm or disconfirm.

It's interesting because when you put the truth out to someone and they have such a visceral and angered reaction it is usually because on some level, they recognize it as a truth they do not wish to face.

17. chakras yoga says:

18. peskay says:

I always have to wonder about store brands, too. It's the cheapest food available, and there is probably a reason.

19. paul says:

Here's a pretty balanced article about the real state of GMO crops in the EU … it's from 2012 but still pretty relevant. Anti-GMO attitude over there is far from unanimous.

I am in the media covering US agriculture and have for 15 years. Frankly, the advent of GMOs and their proliferation here over the past decade has taken billions upon billions of dollars in pesticide application out of the market, and as a consequence, reduced advertising overall in that sector by a large measure. The reduction in pesticide use is real, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Even with resistance developing in some areas, we're still going to be using less. If anyone has an axe to grind, it's me.

But I spent a lot of time with American farmers one on one. I've been to Monsanto and seen the technology, viewed the research. I've dug in with USDA extension people, talked to both sides. I feel like those opposed to GMOS are the ones who are unwilling to humanize the opposition and at least acknowledge opposing research. I'm wasting my time, right?

I live in a relatively liberal community. I have discussions about this all the time with friends and neighbors. I think it's important we all talk to each other.

I will apologize for getting angry, that does not serve my purpose, and as of yet you've not addressed anything I have said except my anger, which has convinced you I am a pitiable corporate parrot trying to bring down the movement. Do you not think that individuals and groups working for the 'cause' are not motivated by money, which is generated by perpetuating the cause? Or is all they do beyond reproach? I've seen Food Inc., read Silent Spring, The Fate of the Earth, etc. Have you read Environment Inc., the multi-part expose done by the Sacramento Bee in the late 1990s?

Such as it is, this has been an instructive discussion. Thanks for the space.

20. paul says:

Couple more links: This one in your own backyard! http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/publication/2

I'm sure you've seen Mark Lynas' mea culpa as well, and perhaps already dug up some dirt on him … but just in case you missed it:

Finally, a link to the original Environment Inc. series:

OK, enough from the atheist at the revival. Carry on …

21. paul says:

OK, so the head of a corporation that makes about $400 million a year championing organic is not suspect in her intentions when she writes a book championing …. organic? There's a lot of accusations on this site of science for personal and professional gain lobbed against agricultural businesses in the US … Rodale needs to wear it too.

22. chakras yoga says:

Thanks Paul
    I will look at these links over the weekend..
    Thanks for the back and forth

23. Barbie says:

Eat what you like but I think you are out of your mind. There is nothing "healthier" about organic food, it costs more and it spoils faster. Nutritionally, your body processes it exactly the same. All this hyperbole makes it impossible to eat anything packaged ever. Unless you are growing ALL your food in your back yard ( and good luck with that) have fun eliminating all processed food from your diet. You are all fools. I will outlive you all! Seriously. And save my money doing it.

24. chakras yoga says:

sometimes its better not to bother

25. kevin says:

grow your own veggie/fruit/herb garden. dont buy anything be smart.

26. I don't believe you are right when you say, "Certified organics are not allowed to contain any GMO."

Look at a number of organic products and you will see canola and/or soybean oil. Both of those are GMO.

27. chakras yoga says:

I hope that certified organic is organic and not GMO!
    I think it can contain canola and soybean and still be organic..

28. vivianne escolar says:

Keep it simple. Don't buy anything in a package……or too far from the ground. The more packaging, the more processed. And don't believe in packages that announce natural….how can it be natural in a package? Buy fresh, cook fresh and stay away from microwaves…..

29. chakras yoga says:

We have gotten so far away from that in our lives.. Think its time to slow down and refocus on nurturing

30. vivianne escolar says:

Keep it simple. Don't buy anything in a package……or too far from the ground. The more packaging, the more processed…. How can it be natural, if its in a package? Buy fresh, cook fresh……and throw away the microwave.

31. swampwaffle says:

Wow Marylee, I hope you continue to dig a little deeper on these topics. Please don't use Genetic Roulette as an information source. Stick with real science. Read the peer-reviewed work, or listen to scientists (like me) that know the real data.

Think about it. If you have to go back to an obscure journal in 2009 to find a flimsy piece of evidence, it may not be so hot. Bt can't hurt you. It's been used in organic cultivation for years and is well understood biochemically. I'm happy to explain if you'd like… contact me by email, or read Sleuth4Health.wordpress.com. July Kay does a nice job.

The thing empowering Monsanto the most is fear. it creates high barriers for other companies and academic scientists to compete in that space.

Plus, be careful to not confuse correlation and causation. Smith does this, so does Robyn O'Brien and pretty much everyone else with an axe to grind against technology.

Keep thinking and writing, but don't let bad information and fear drive your decisions. Science is really solid that there has never been one case of harm attributable to GM foods. Not one.

32. swampwaffle says:

Oh, and there is no "Monsanto Protection Act". That was made up to convince you of the conspiracy, and you fell for it.

The legislation simply puts the USDA in a position to make decisions on transgenic crops, based on evidence, not an activist judge's decision. To stop tens of thousands of farmers from producing because of bad data would be awful for the consumer and farmer.

The legislation (that does not mention Monsanto once) charges the USDA to seek immediate scientific validation of claims. Think about it. Does the USDA, Monsanto, or anyone else want something dangerous to be consumed? Not at all! That company dies if ONE PERSON becomes ill and it can be traced to a transgene. It is in 70% of food, and no direct or epidemiological tie to any illness or death.

90% of acreage is transgenic for corn, cotton, canola and soy. Can you imagine what would happen to farmers everywhere if a judge, not a scientist, blocked food production from transgenic crops? This puts the decisions in the hands of panels of scientists (like me) that never want to see people hurt. This is great legislation.

33. Ameliegnom says:

in Europe, Monsanto wants to prevent that we continue to grow old varieties of seeds and also small gardeners should be banned to do this. The EU Commission is bought by Monsanto and same companys.
    They want a law a ban.
    We have collected signatures across Europe, sent a protest notes to the EU Commission and our politicians.
    We will not let that happen! We do not want Monsanto in our government and in our fields

34. Ameliegnom says:

you really believe that? we are very well informed of what Monsanto is doing. Which crimes Monsanto commits in the 3rd World also in USA and else. Monsanto poisons the world

35. chakras yoga says:

Ameliegnom. There are many people who I think may have some connection to Monsanto that use the same argument.."That there is no proof"
    There is proof. There is a reason it is banned pretty much ALL over the world and not in America. There are ties and connections to the government and what ever deal they make with these money hungry companies.
    Swampwaffle can believe what he likes and condescend to those who differ from him but I wonder if he is eating these foods himself? I wonder if he would mix a milk for his newborn knowing it is GM.
    Thank you for reading and please share the list, spread the word because it is shocking how many people are uninformed about the subject.

36. swampwaffle says:

Chakras, I'm with you on the government collusion. I don't like this with oil, media, communications, computers or food. Its a bad thing. I'm also sad you find me condescending, I don't mean for it to come off that way.

I'm an academic, public scientist that has been studying this field for 25 years. I'm relatively an expert in the science end and will debate your all stars Smith and Seralini in two weeks. I know the science.

The technology is not 'banned all over the world". It is used in huge acreage in Brazil, Argentina, China, India and others. Places like Romania saw huge benefits until they joined the EU in 2007, then they went from exporters of soy and potato to importers. Where it is banned it is due to politics, fear and misinformation. Not science.

I eat the foods, no problem. I understand the idea about feeding to babies– that's vivid imagery that someone has used to frighten you. I get that.

But keep in mind that there are millions of babies in the world that will die because of a lack of nutritious food. I think about those babies too. To me, we have to develop more technologies, and develop more biotech solutions that can reach them. GM has never harmed or killed one person. The block of the technology and the fear mongering has indirectly killed millions. Time will show this, and it is blood on the hands of the anti-scientific zealots that put their beliefs over the expertise of scientists.

37. Chelsea says:

You wanted a list of NON-GMO brands here u go:
    Nature’s Path Organic
    Late July organic snacks
    New chapter organics
    Earthbound Farm Organic
    Mary’s gone crackers
    OrganicVille

38. chakras yoga says:

great list thanks chelsea! also 365 is an organic brand too.. there are lots out there to choose from

39. paul says:

Nice reply. Don't forget that EU countries happily import GMO corn and soy from the US to feed their animals.

40. Mike Wrigley says:

Um, you dear sir are incorrect- the Senate is DEMOCRAT MAJORITY RULED. Do some research before replying. Also, please keep your racist remarks to yourself as well. No one is blaming the "Black Guy". People are worried about their health. Doesn't matter if the man in charge is red, black, white or in between. And the Government trying to "avoid a shutdown" is a complete fear mongering move. I have an idea, how about rather than send BILLIONS to our enemies oversees (Muslim Brotherhood) we use those funds to fix our own house here in the U.S. Pretty simple solution and avoids the all scary "Government shutdown."

41. Rich says:

I'm posting this as a guest since I just saw this article, and wanted to make sure that just going to a specific store isn't enough. Trader Joe's is a good store and mostly stocks safe products, but they do sell things with modified ingredients. Check the label on their own brand chili to see what I mean. Don't just go to a store that somebody has told you is safe – check every label of every single thing that you buy

42. Rich says:

Please don't say things like 'blame the black guy'.. nowhere was this mentioned until you brought it up. It is possible to disagree with a person on their moral decisions without considering their race

43. VLizzle says:

I agree Rich. It takes me a large amount of time to grocery shop, because I DO check EVERY single label of products that I buy. It has gotten to the point where I shop with a small notebook and take notes so that I get a better sense of what companies use GMO's, etc. I grow what I can when I can. I belong to a local CSA and I shop at Farmers' Markets whenever possible. I do find Trader Joe's to be a good store, but I too have found a few of their products to be questionable.

44. VLizzle says:

thanks for the link – I have to say that my major "shame-on-you" snack is popcorn and now I am on a mission to find a product that is GMO free and safe to consume.

45. Pest says:

How are people who are almost the entire day at work or school/university and live in apartments, supposed to eat healthier by growing their own vegetables and cooking their own food? Cooking and baking contains lots of time, which I don't have, and local food is on a long run very expensive. Any suggestions how I still can have healthy food everyday?

46. MyThree says:

Blame the black guy?? Why bring race into this? That' ridiculous! How ignorant a comment from 'You forgot facts' – sorry, you forgot to take the chip off your shoulder…
    First of all, you are right about the famine and these crops, but we do need to make the right choices for our families. There are too many diseases and food allergies seeping into our culture because of these chemicals seeping into our foods! Small changes, gradual switches, organic when you can, that's the way to go. Keep the info coming, appreciate the updates!

47. Becca says:

Hi,
    Just wanted to say that your diligent efforts to educate people about GM foods is admirable, and it makes me in the simplest of terms really really happy that there is at least some sort of voice of reason on here. I saw this link posted on my facebook, one of my "friends" making sure we knew what products to avoid that included GM foods.

I remember from one of my lectures, that the Bt gene inserted into some crops to make them pest resistant is the same one that can be applied as a spray. If the latter method is used, the crop can be classified as organic. So, I pose a question to all of you who are so apprehensive of GMOs. What difference does it make to you that the pest resistance comes from a spray versus from the plant itself, when extensive research has been done on the safety of the genetically engineered crop?

Also, while I understand the generally distrust of large corporations, can't one separate the benefits of GMOs themselves from the evil corporation stuff? What about the golden rice project, which has created a type of rice with very high levels of beta carotene, aimed at countries with high levels of malnutrition? Sure, one could dismiss such a project as being a way for corporations to improve the image of GMOs, but does that matter when ultimately, it's helping people? But I digress.

Natural isn't always better. A good example would be thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Up until recently, we treated many forms of hypothyroidism with hormones from dessicated animal thyroid glands, which created undesirable health conditions. The synthetically formed hormone doesn't create these problems.

48. chakras yoga says:

Hi Becca

I agree that there are some forms of GMO that might be helpful but the stuff that we are finding in the grocery stores is NOT helpful. We are destroying the environment, the media is not talking about it because they are bought out by the big advertisers, and we are not getting the truth behind what is in our foods. Asking to know what ingredients are it the cake mix i buy for my son is not too much to ask. People need to be free to make informed choices. Until that time I will not buy any of it. The fact is they GMOs do cause health problems. They do kill the bees. They do harm our environment and the large corporations put money before our rights.

49. biblechick says:

Yes Jen! We have a whole foods, Earth Fare and lots and lots of farmers markets here in the Chattanooga area that are committed to selling non-GMO foods. It's even better still if you can grow it yourself, but if you can't you can it, flash freeze it. I'm learning to do this myself now and cooking things from scratch instead of using prepackaged products even non-GMO. I live in a duplex so not much space for a garden but a friend is using large pots and kitty litter buckets to grow her garden due to space limitations.

50. I fix your facts says:

The Senate is controlled by the Democrats, the Republicans control the House of Representatives, your screen name is ironic considering you couldn't get your facts straight. But that doesn't matter, it's two branches of the same big government party, pitting the American People against each other on social and economical issues to create a smoke screen for the bigger agenda. And Obama can be blamed, the President has the responsibility to veto bills that are harmful to the American People. The only way America will be saved is through the embrace of libertarian ideals and the electing of leaders who believe in those ideals.