Every city has its thing that, once you’ve visited or lived there, you can knowingly comment on with a little eye roll.
New Yorkers are a little pushy. Midwesterners are a little doughy. People from L.A. are a little vain. Boulderites are a little naïve—too happy—in a bubble.
For those of you who have never been to our sweet little town of Boulder, it is a strange island of happy, content people who appreciate the sunshine and outdoors, love dogs and Subarus and have a comfortable amount of money.
Because of this invariable Garden of Eden setting, the locals have the space to delve into the subtleties of life, love and relationships. As a new Boulder resident, I’ve started to notice that I’ve already taken on some of this local personality. And here we go!
My top ten favorite Boulder things I’ve said so far:
1. “No, I can’t. My heart chakra is blocked.” —on a date, only mildly joking.
2. “My favorite counterbalance for sore wrists is to rock climb.” —teaching a yoga class.
3. “Who did your dreads?” —at Whole Foods.
See also: “Do you have nutritional yeast?” and “Those charcoal pills made my poop weird,” and “I wish I didn’t teach yoga so I could afford this.”
4. “Mom, she just said that she sings to and performs Reiki on those herbs.” —at the Farmer’s Market.
5. (while crying) “Thank you for—sob—the cookies.” —at Boulder Baked, after finding out I wasn’t able to run the Chicago Marathon.
6. “It’s pronounced kahm-boo-cha.” —on a first and only date.
7. “Do you think that dog knows he’s gluten-free?” —at lululemon athletica.
8. ‘The people here just have more substance, you know? Like they’re just more substantial.” —to a friend in Chicago.
9. “I am so glad I didn’t have my harp in the basement when it flooded,” —after the 100-year flood/invasion of the poop-water.
10. “Hey, after we slackline but before we go into the next yoga class, want to grab some locally-grown food from that truck? We can hula hoop while we’re in line.” —at Hanuman Festival.
Like elephant Boulder on Facebook.
Ed: Cat Beekmans
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 244 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 84,198 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 11,122 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 15,024 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,693 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 3,227 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 13,080 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,304 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,214 share This is what Happened when I Started taking French Baths. 1,776 share