The craving for a warm bowl of pho can hit at any time or any place.
Pho takes about four or five hours to make if you do it the right way. And in all of my obstinacy, I will not go buy a bowl of pho to go from our local Vietnamese joint. So I decided to stop pho-cking around and create a faux pho…
I started reading about pho and its origins, and it truly is one of the most political foods I have ever heard of. It was popularized by Vietnamese refugees after the Vietnam War, and traditional pho vendors even wear special felt hats.
It’s listed as one of the world’s most delicious foods,and millions of American dollars per year are generated by pho sales.
What the pho?!
Anyway, here is the recipe:
Jenna and Brandon’s Easy Faux Pho
Daikon radish, tamari sauce, sea salt, mung bean sprouts, Beef flavored Better Than Bullion, Beef Sirloin, Basil or Cilantro, Butter, Lime, Cinnamon stick, Anise stars (4), Cloves (4), Rice noodles, fish sauce, red Thai chili peppers, an onion, a big piece of ginger, cloves of garlic (2), mushrooms (whatever kind you want…we used shitake).
1. Cook the noodles as per the directions on the back. Divide them among the bowls you are going to put the soup in.
2. Slice the onion thinly. Chop the daikon, garlic, and mushrooms. Cut the ginger into big slices.
3. Put some butter in the big pot you are going to cook the broth in.
4. Put the onion, ginger, and garlic, and mushrooms in the pot and cook until golden, stirring frequently.
5. Add the anise, cloves, 1/3 cup of fish sauce, and cinnamon stick. Immediately add 8 cups of water and broth paste.
6. Make 8 cups of broth with the Better Than Bullion. I just put the bullion paste in to taste. Bring the broth to a boil, and then turn heat down and let simmer for 20 minutes.
7. While the broth is simmering, cook the beef sirloin in strips with a little bit of sea salt, butter and some tamari.
8. Divide the beef strips up among the bowls.
9. Strain the broth, then divide it up among the bowls.
10. Put some basil, lime juice, mung sprouts, and fresh Thai chilies on top of each bowl.
Like elephant food on Facebook.
Ed: Bryonie Wise
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 54,956 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,492 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,347 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 4,745 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,018 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 2,180 shares