I Quit Drinking 4 Years Ago: My Transformation. ~ James Swanwick

Via James Swanwick
on Jun 15, 2014
get elephant's newsletter

More on James’ transformation here: My Transformation: 30 Days of No Alcohol.

Four years ago, I began a simple 30-day challenge. My goal? Don’t touch a single drink.

Seemed easy enough. Now, four years later, I still haven’t touched alcohol. My mates often ask me about my four year lifestyle choice of sobriety (especially since I’m Australian), so I figure I’ll share my story. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Now, I was never a big drinker. I’d enjoy a few quiet beers during the week—most weekends I’d go a little harder and get a good “buzz.” On a handful of occasions over many years, I would say I got “drunk.” It was all good fun. There was no drinking to excess. I never had a drinking problem. But I awoke with a shocking hangover one morning four years ago at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas after a particularly fun night. I walked into an International House of Pancakes for a hangover breakfast. The IHOP menus have photos of the food you can choose—big, bright, bold colors. The sight of those scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes on the menu made me ill. I decided then and there to see if I could go 30 days alcohol-free. It was simply a personal bet with myself to test my self-discipline. I didn’t plan to go more than 30 days. But I eventually would. The first two weeks were hard. I went out with friends and ordered water or Diet Coke and they’d give me a hard time. “You’re not Australian!” they’d say to me. But I got through those two weeks and I was off to the races.

I felt better, slept better and had much more mental clarity.

After 30 days, I’d lost an incredible 13 pounds (or almost six kilograms) of fat around my stomach—just from not drinking. I had more money in the bank, my skin looked considerably better and I actually enjoyed getting out of bed early morning to exercise.

The author a few years before he quit drinking, weighing 218 pounds (98 kilograms) and the author today, alcohol free, at 180 pounds (82 kilograms).  So I said to myself, “Bugger it. I feel great. I’ll just keep going and see how far I can go.” Little did I know just how far I would go. After 60 days, I craved a cold beer. Or a red wine. Or a Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic with a dash of lime. When it was hot outside, I started dreaming, “I would smash an ice cold beer right now!” But I breathed deeply, downed a water and the feeling passed. After three months, I felt terrific. When I told women I wasn’t drinking, far from them thinking I was an alcoholic in recovery, they actually told me they were impressed with my self-discipline. “Beautiful,” I thought. “I can stop drinking and still be fun, entertaining and attractive to women.” Guys were always suspicious of my story, though. They always thought I was a recovering alcoholic who “obviously” had a problem. I just smiled. Between three and six months I was in the zone. I felt energetic and healthy and I actually started to thrive on telling people I had temporarily stopped drinking. But many people—particularly guys—still challenged me. I just laughed, pointed to my head and gave them my stock response, “I’m too strong in my mind!” Some people even tried to secretly slip vodka into my soda. I had to make a point of always sniffing before drinking if they’d ordered for me. The period between six and 12 months was fairly easy, to be honest—and this is where I noticed the most dramatic changes.

I found that my relationships were considerably better—romantic and platonic.

For example, I was constantly thinking about how I could help my friends rather than how they could help me. I was more inclined to help people generally and was more considerate. I was calmer and noticed I made better decisions. My work productivity soared. More opportunities—like an ESPN audition to host SportsCenter—came my way. When it did, I was clear-headed, energetic and seized the opportunity. I ended up getting that gig and hosted SportsCenter for two years. March 12, 2014, is four years to the day since I gave myself that initial 30-day challenge. I’m 20lbs (9kg) lighter today than I was when I started on March 12, 2010. Drinking definitely kept fat around my waist. Quitting drinking eliminated it. I’m not for one moment suggesting you should quit drinking entirely like I did. Obviously, I am an extreme case. But my story clearly shows some of the positive benefits you can get if you do quit. Even just reducing your alcohol consumption by a few drinks a week, I believe only positive things can happen.

~

Relephant:

7 Ways My Life Improved After I Quit Drinking

hangover

Bonus: One more reason to detox.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Apprentice Editor: Bronwyn Petry / Editor: Catherine Monkman

Photo: Josef Grunig, Flickr Creative Commons

This art of Focusing can help with the emotional attachment we have to love, food, drink—anything.

In-depth:

Acupuncture can ease a difficult transition:

About James Swanwick

James Swanwick is a Los Angeles-based Australian-American investor and former ESPN SportsCenter anchor. He is the host of The James Swanwick Show and creator of the 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge. Connect with him onInstagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

Comments

78 Responses to “I Quit Drinking 4 Years Ago: My Transformation. ~ James Swanwick”

1. Zach says:

Wow, interesting that the biggest transformation happened after a few months sober. I might have to start this 30-day challenge myself.

2. Metta Pillar says:

I thought it a good read and yes many times the biggest changes come much later. I don't understand the cruel crack about people being overweight though. It just seemed unnecessary.

3. Stuart says:

I started the "dry January" this year and then like you I just carried on. 6 months and 2 weeks later I too have lost weight and feel much better with life in general. I occasionally miss it but I've found a range of "good" soft drinks that more than make up for it.

4. Adam says:

Good Onya brother. I feel ( at 25) like I’ve gotta take control of my health. That rapid, reckless attitude of youth should start to fall by the waist side because yes! It’s money, it’s feeling shit, it’s wasting time feeling sorry for ones self on a Sunday, that makes me a little be angry at myself. I coulda walked, written, read or cooked. That whole ” he’s a pussy of he doesn’t drink” attitude comes with being a bloke in Aussie society but I can’t be arsed dealing with ” stereotypes” anymore. What I have to work on is retaining confidence without the excess liquid. Drunkeness never got me a nice girl, whilst out ;p

Good article

5. Irene says:

I would describe my own drinking as a bit more problematic and my solution somewhat less drastic. Yet I can relate full heartedly to the results as described in this article. What I did was take a close look at my own patterns to identify my own individual problems with drinking. My problem areas were frequency and drinking alone at home. My plan, to stop drinking at home completely and drink out and about in social situations only after I'd gone at least 5 days without drinking at all. Binge drinking was never a problem so this has worked. I've been at it for a year. On average I drink twice a month now. Anything from one glass of wine to three or maybe two cocktails when I do. Every aspect of my life has improved and I've lost a lot of weight! What's most notable is that instead of seeking out opportunities to drink I find myself going out of my way to avoid them. I keep some alcohol at home for guests but am really not tempted. My decision worked. This is entirely possible.

6. Brenda says:

I have been considering cutting back on my drinks this summer. This is very inspirational. I just can't understand how you could be in Austin and make a life choice like IHOP! Sigh……;)

7. Matt says:

Kudos. One of the few simple pleasures in life I love is a good beer. Having only one (in the right company) has always been the challenge. Have thought and struggled with this idea for a long time.

8. @cooperhill says:

I stopped drinking a little more than 2 years ago. It's one of the best things in my life.

9. Leslie says:

Why on earth, after experiencing and weighing out the numerous, significant benefits would you end your essay by saying, "I’m not for one moment suggesting you should quit drinking entirely like I did. Obviously, I am an extreme case." How are you an extreme case? Why even share your story and outcomes with others? It's a perfectly reasonable and sensible suggestion.

10. LivingArtisan says:

I've had similar results from not drinking for years ; another side effect is that you age slower … less wrinkles, less stress on the body … hard drinkers show it in their face.

11. Alex says:

Nice article – and daaaammmnnnn, an Australian quitting drinking! (lol.) Very interesting about your reaction from men – that somehow, it's manly to drink. That's crazy. I've been considering lately how the substances I (and my loved ones) imbibe affect us not only when we're tipsy/drunk (or stoned, etc.) but the next day., and in general. Just because a body isn't intoxicated doesn't mean that it isn't still affected by recent and/or chronic use. I wonder how I'd be different if I eliminated certain habits, even those I feel pretty moderate with, like drinking. The social scene makes a choice like this difficult; kudos.

12. camden says:

Love this article and love the difference in the photos. I've quit over the years – once for a year, then for 8 months. I believe I'm about ready to say goodbye for good. I see the benefits physically – better sleep, feel great in the am, more energy, more intimate sexual connection with my hubby, more patience, many more. I don't drink a lot but like a glass of wine every month but even that can be too much on my system these days. Way to go, love your life! XO

13. Good for you. Kinda sounds like you have unknowingly been doing AA, without actually doing the program. Not quite sure what being Australian has to do with excessive drinking………..Irish, German, Native American……we can all be heavy hitters! Kudos, mate!

14. karen Katz says:

I also turned away from alcohol (probably for good) a little over 2 years ago. I was one of those middle aged women who had slowly slipped from light social drinking into a heavier, more dependent relationship with the stuff. I do go to AA meetings a few times a month, but still feel a little insincere calling myself an alcoholic, not because I am better than anyone else, but because alcohol was more a symptom than the cause of my crisis. Yet, I must say my life did improve without alcohol. It might be because it also coincided with better eating, yoga practice and finding more helpful spiritual practices, but whatever it is, it is great.

15. Simone says:

I quit drinking nearly four years ago too, and I feel wonderful! Yes it was a struggle at the time, but once I got used to my 'new normal' it was the best decision I ever made, every aspect of my life is better, I don't miss it and I won't be going back. I still meet friends at the pub but I stick to soda water. My social skills have improved enormously, mainly because now I am 'present' not on my way to inebriation. Best decision ever, I'm even an early morning person and I love it!

16. maureenlou says:

Thank you! Inspiring article. I was recently thinking I wanted to challenge myself to 30 days without alcohol, because quite honestly I don't think I've ever gone that long without having a drink. Then I made the excuse that my birthday is coming up and of course I'll want to have a drink, so now is not a good time. Figures, right!? But this post inspired me to give it a go, especially considering the improvement in relationships you suggest. I'm quiet and introverted and feel like I don't open up socially until I have a few drinks, but I think with time I will shine so much more just being myself.

17. @RicciNeer says:

Right? LOL Magnolia Cafe rules!

18. Guest says:

It's not easy but it's worth it. If only to be able to be proud that you set out to be healthier and stubborn. One day at a time works. Just don't drink today. Say and do that everyday and the months will go by before you know it. You will feel like a kid again.

19. Jill says:

Thanks for the encouragement James , I am coming up on 7 months sober and man this summer is tough I am missing my Bombay Saphire gin & tonics with lime… but my life has dramatically improved for the better… now working on losing that extra 20 pounds 😉 thanks for your great blog !!! xox

20. Lee_no_ah says:

I might try this – sounds great!

21. Zenkat7 says:

I am a recovering alcoholic. Quitting drinking was life or death for me. I chose life. I'm at about 103 days. Yes, I count every day, but it truly is "one day at a time".

22. Kristi says:

you are inspiring – thank you for sharing 🙂

23. karen katz says:

I was somewhere between social drinking and alcoholism when I quit drinking over 2 years ago. I definitely feel better, and don't really miss it anymore. My biggest problem is not that I want a drink when I'm sad or stressed, but that when I'm having a great day (like today for example), a beer or a nice glass of wine would be nice. However, I know that it is very easy for me to slide quickly into heavier alcohol consumption. Yoga helps a lot-also the guy I just started dating is not really much of a drinker. 🙂

24. Amy E says:

Good for you! My father was an alcoholic. I watched him struggle with his addiction for several decades. His drinking ruined our family life. The good news: I did not follow in his footsteps. Your story is very inspiring.

25. Kristin says:

How on earth did you conclude that he was "unknowingly doing AA"? MOST people quit or moderate without AA and didn't you here him mentioned that he did not have a drinking problem? Love how AA takes credit for all sobriety, but assumes no liability for those that don't make it. The authors point was that it was pretty simple and because he liked the physical, mental and socio effects of not drinking, he stuck with it. No God, no sponsors, no steps, no meetings.
    AA is a heavy duty religious program with major cult tugs. It is helpful for some, but not many. After years in the AA program, I left which has been the 2nd best decision I ever made apart from quitting drinking. I'm much better off and quite sober- thank you!

26. Steve says:

Awesome stuff mate! I am curious I tried this and lasted about 3 months. One thing I found was that when my closest mates got together, in always involved getting smashed (we are Aussie after all). When I was off the alcohol I actually avoided them, which was awful because I love my friends. Did you you ever do this?

27. Simone says:

Very inspirational. Thank you for sharing your story. I just wish there wasn't such a stigma around an alcoholic who has given up drinking, as opposed to someone who was a regular drinker making these changes. I understand you want people to know your story of why you gave up and not mistake you for god forbid 'an alcoholic', however this attitude perpetuates the shame that lots of people with real problems, who also give up drinking, have. They feel the need to do it an anonymous way, and not admit there was a problem. Alcohol is incredibly addictive and alcoholism is often a hereditary disease. Removing the stigmas around these issues and talking openly and honest will enable society to help young people before it hits major problems. PS. I am an Australian woman who got sober three years ago following alcoholic issues and had very similar reactions from friends that you had.

28. levitron says:

I hear year 5 is the hardest

29. Klaus says:

Dear James, thank you for this story. It is really funny to read about it 'cause I also started to stop drinking around 3 months ago after a very funny evening/night. I can just underline your "I felt better, slept better and had much more mental clarity". This is sooo true. One really sees it "normal" to drink alcohol but it is simply not, we are just used to it. Honestly I don't miss it.

30. gieella says:

You're aabsolutely right about the effects. Thank u for writing this, in sure it will inspire more of us to be healthier and conscious. Have a merry holiday.

31. Kay says:

Your article caught my eye as I also am coming up 4 years of sobriety! Feb 2nd is a very auspicious day for me as that is the day I decided enough was enough.

Unlike yourself, I was a heavy binge drinker, and that would be over a 30year period. I didn’t drink regularly, but when I did, I couldn’t and wouldn’t stop until the grog ran out, and then I would go and hunt for more, the old saying, 1 is too many and 100 not enough.

In hindsight and reflection, I can now see how I used alcohol to “escape” my enormous worries at the time and became quite a habitual addiction, to escape the worries and also giving me “false” dutch courage to speak up or out against anyone and everyone who I had an issue with at the time, a rollercoaster out of control, about to drastically derail!

The decision I made that day, I am now convinced, that it saved my life. It was not that anything drastic happened on my last binge, except for my hangover which lasted a week, and that was the start of me deciding, I couldn’t do this to myself anymore and that I would give it a ‘break’ for a while. Well, yes, it is almost four years, and the positive changes that have happened in my life are due to being sober, and the determination to carry on living alcohol free, are sometimes challenged indeed, especially by others who cant understand how one can go without the ‘social’ drink etc, sometimes I announce, “im allergic” to alcohol and that seems to pacify the insistent people who say, oh cant you just have 1?? It seems, that some people get uncomfortable around me when they know I don’t drink, I guess because it brings up their issues with their drinking habits which is not for me to judge, I understand what its like to “need” the unwind or the social drink scene, and that it is up to the individual to decide for themselves when the time is right for them, if ever!

For me, living sober, is a blessing….because I did, and always will, have a problem with alcohol abuse. There is not one day that goes by that I don’t reflect on how I used to be, and how my life is now. (A lot less chaotic, but still challenging) The gremlin still sits on my shoulder whispering in my ear, “go on, you know you want to get wasted”…but im determined to carry on and try and deal with my mounting responsibilities and pressures within my sober life and not ever, ever again subject myself to the drunken self destruction I used to create….I just do it sober!!

32. Maryanne says:

I too stopped drinking over 2 years ago for me it was something I did after work while cooking dinner, and then another glass with dinner and in the end it was a habit. I do get some funny looks when I say I don't drink but I do feel so much better. No fuzzy head in the morning my memory is so much better and to be honest it certainly is something I don't need in my life. It did cost me a few friends as they think you have to drink to have a good time. Now I sleep so much better and don't feel so sluggish. Best move I have ever made. Will never go back to it again.

33. dedo says:

Great article! I was 29 and decided to stop drinking and see what happened. Sure it was hard at first but everything got better and easier in time.
    That was 25 years ago. Just thought I'd share…being an old timer 🙂

34. Rosie says:

I think you look better, sweeter, and happier in the pic on the left. You look hard and cynical, maybe arrogant now. Just judging by the photos.

35. David Nicholson says:

James its a great story that I can so totally relate to, from drinking on a regular basis with "Friends" to stopping drinking and now many years on it was also the start of a series of great choices. I was reflecting on it recently and am amazed I actually managed to get any work done when I was drinking – often being tired and hung over. The quality of work and my overall enjoyment of life has increased multifold since stopping drinking – I think because I stopped as I felt it was what would be the best support for my body instead of being told not to drink – the endless offers of "just one drink" didn't get the better of me. I can't imagine life today being one where I would be drinking. And it's also then enabled me to look at others areas of my life and make adjustments to those as well.

36. hvmorden says:

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story, James. It is lovely to read that you feel such small but powerful changes as you choose to remove alcohol from your diet. It shows to me that as you accepted yourself and your choice, friends and family accepted that too. i am no longer a drinker – and found I went through the very same process of people not accepting it, me craving a drink every now and then – but actually, as I looked beyond the 'need' to have alcohol – I appreciated the difference I felt in my body, and the way I was with others. I'll take that over a hangover any day 😉

37. YouCanToo says:

I stopped drinking at the age of 61 and 8 years later I have absolutley no desire to start again. It was like a switch had been flicked on- CLICK! just like that from one moment to the next. I was done. So how, you may ask did this happen for me?
    The answer surfaced in the realization that I was not only a victim of the marketing finesse of the alcohol industry , but that I was also a victim of peer pressure and societal expectations. I realized this almost in a flash of light after an experience I had with a woman (now my wife) whom I had met at an art auction and whome I was interested in getting to know better. I  arranged to have a dinner date with her and the night went well enough that she invited my to come to her house the following week, and have dinner with her.
    Acting out of habit, I stopped at a Bottle-O on the way to her house to buy Champagne to celebrate our newfound friendship. When I arrived at her beautiful home, she greeted me at the door but before asking me to come inside,  she looked at the bottle in my hand, and said, "You know what? We don't need alcohol to have great sex together."

I was taken aback at her comment, but managed to sputter something like, "Oh.well, then, where's the trash bin?" She smiled and led me into her kitchen and pointed to the recycling bin. I  stepped up to the kitchen sink, popped the cork off the bottle and poured the bubbly down the drain. Once the last bit of foam dripped out of the bottle, I rinsed it with water and dropped it into the recycling bin and looked her square in the eye and said, "I finally understand why I have been a drinker all my life, and I am no longer one." She took me into her arms, and kissed me and I have not had another drink since that night 8 years ago, nor will I ever have one. I instantly realized that I had been hiding under a cloak all my life and not enjoying my full potential, and that drinking would no longer be a handrail I would have to lean on to enjoy my life to the fullest.

38. Daniella Leona says:

I also quit drinking. It's been a steady, slow process over the past 6 months but now I am completely alcohol free and have zero desire to go back to it. I tried a sip of champagne at Christmas time and it made me ill. I had 99 problems and 98 of them were related to alcohol. Not that I'm problem free now, I just am able to deal with things far more effectively and with a clear mind. I appreciate good wine and gin, but I enjoy my food more without it.

I've seen so many deaths as a result of alcohol, I think it does far more damage than heroin.

Kudos to you for giving up and I wish you continued happiness in your new, sober and clarity filled life.

Daniella

39. Alcohol free parties allow people to express the reality within themselves.

40. Rachel says:

Well done James and thanks for sharing your story. I made the same decision 14 months ago and haven't looked back. Improved lifestyle, better health, new friends and retreats and real conversations. The best thing I did for my psychic database:)

41. lisamarie2015 says:

Very inspiring journey… Makes me wonder if I would feel a major transformation in just 30 days alcohol free. I've been contemplating it, but have not committed.

42. T-Money says:

I woke up with a nasty hangover three months ago today and decided the same exact thing – I challenged myself to go three whole months without drinking. Today, as I celebrate that three month success, the positive changes in my life that have occurred as a result of not drinking have me wondering if I will ever start back up again! When I set out on this challenge, I assumed that I would be celebrating my 3-months of not drinking by having some wine or cocktails, but I have no desire to start back up again! I'm honestly totally shocked (I loved drinking and didn't have the healthiest relationship w/ alcohol) that I feel this way, but SO grateful that I did this for myself! One of the best decisions I've ever made!!

43. Naim says:

I appreciate your approach to this. You created an invitation, thanks for that.

44. Larry West says:

Hands down, the best article and comments from 1st person singular accounts that I’ve ever read. Life is all about application, and about experience. While each contributor shared alcohol in common, each impressed me as being singularly personal and genuine. I got something out of each one of them, which I’ve never experience before on a subject. As a teenager, it was a right of passage to drink alcohol with the gang, and I participated along with everyone else. As a Marine, that behavior only intensified and became habitual, bonding brothers and all that. In college and graduate school, regular drinking was more difficult to keep a clear head, and by then cannabis and other agents were readily available. My research career didn’t soar as planned, my marriage and family took precedence over being a lab rat, and I moved to industry for better pay and opportunities which intensified alcohol consumption exponentially, and became the salve to all my perceived problems, disappointments, and 2nd place finishes. Whenever something went ‘bad’ alcohol always seemed to be in the mix. I could always stop and took ‘holidays’ from such abuse, 6 months, a year, yet always somehow picked it up again, usually at the urging of friends, business associates and in social gatherings. Serious hangovers became painful and debilitating and finally I came to the realization that such behavior was controlling me and not the other way ’round. Along the way I had setbacks and brushes with disaster which nearly cost me my marriage and my life. One could say my behavior was often ‘off the reservation’, but I didn’t care. I never missed work because of drinking, even if I came in with a hangover and still in the bag. I realized my example had been adopted by my sons, with similar if not more dire consequences. My father had been an alcoholic, died at 36. While I’m well past that age now, it took making a conscious effort to survive. I cut back but never really quit entirely. I imbibe occasionally in moderation. I rarely get the urge for a drink, and even lately, while having round 2, I dislike the taste, and have been pouring it down the drain and moving to water. I am one of those who takes 100% responsibility for my own health, and listen closely to my body and make efforts to react positively to the symptoms, (ie: when I’m tired, I rest; when I’m stressed, I meditate; when I’m stiff and irritable, I exercise, etc). I recognize that thoughts are things and equate them with the scientific concept of potential energy. I have come to accept that “belief” is the essential element/critical success factor to application and action; and equate that with kinetic energy. Belief driven thought is the key to one’s behavior, pro or con, good or bad, success or failure, on and on. I suspect before long I will come to believe I no longer need or want to imbibe and will simply quit altogether. Everything seems to function better (organs, metabolism, health, etc) with plenty of tumblers of water each day. So it goes. To conclude, I am grateful to James for having shared his experience and to all those who made comments here, as it somehow triggered me to express the above, which I typically do not do. I feel better for the effort and wish all much Love and Light.

45. saray438 says:

I read this at the perfect time. Thank you so much for sharing.

46. Steve Magruder says:

I should try this approach with potato chips and other bagged snacks, as I don’t drink enough to consider it a bad habit or something that affects me that much. I wonder if my weight would drop if I just gave up the chips.

47. patricia says:

Nice story! Good for you, really. However, I don’t believe in cutting out anything completely out of your life. After all we need to enjoy life while we have it as well. Maybe I think this way since I am living in France with an Italian partner,those nations just need to enjoy life and don’t feel the need to control everything.

48. Bhavna says:

Smart topic insight! It has been composed very useful advices and I appreciate your work.

49. lupster says:

You know nothing about AA. It is not a cult or heavy duty religious, it is like group cognitive therapy where people take responsibility for their lives and find their own sense of a higher power. AA saved my father, open your mind.

50. Lupie says:

I quit drinking two weeks ago and lost 6 lbs. already, feel so much happier. I cannot believe I got into that habit and how easy it is to fall into. It is the most socially acceptable drug. The hardest part is the social aspect but now I am making more friends that also are sober and still fun.

I realized I was destroying my brain, that the habit was becoming and addiction. Being a child of an alcoholic and hating it since I was 6, I could not believe I was "embracing the enemy" and letting it destroy me.

I cannot believe how quickly I feel better.