This is my absolute favorite way to eat fried rice. For anyone else out there who is a lover of spicy food, this one is for you!
For a dinner for about four people, this is what you’ll need:
- About 3 cups of cooked leftover rice of any kind
- 4 eggs (or one per person)
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 small bunch of scallions, sliced finely
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, minced finely
- 6 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 4 jalapeno chilis, sliced (and seeds removed if you want to reduce the heat)
- 2 cups of fresh sweet Thai basil
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 tbsp of gluten free soy sauce (tamari)
- 4 tbsp of sesame oil
Start by heating the sesame oil in the pan. Then add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant. Add in the sliced jalapenos and the sliced scallions and heat them for just about one minute. Then add in the cooked rice and stir around in the oil and spices. Add the soy sauce and stir again. Rip up the Thai basil roughly and stir it in to the mix, it will wilt from the heat of the rice. Make sure it is all warmed through, and then remove from the burner and cover. In a separate pan, fry the eggs. When you’re ready to serve, just fill a bowl with the rice with one of the fried eggs on top along with a few slices of the fresh cucumber.
There you have it, a fried rice dish with amazing flavor! Totally gluten free and vegetarian. And a great way to use leftover rice.
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editor: Travis May
Photo: Wikimedia Commons