The first snow is met with delight.
We throw on our boots and rush out to open our arms, welcoming the sparkling beauty. Each snowflake is a gift from the fairies—at least that’s what the Tinker Bell movies say.
But every storm after the first snow is met with more and more depression.
We start daydreaming about tropical paradise and dread the gray skies and bitter winds. We get stuck in the winter blues, wishing for it all to be over.
It’s not a fun feeling.
So, how can we beat the winter blues this year?
1. Enjoy a mug of steaming hot chocolate. Maybe add some whipped cream!
2. Fuzzy socks are the best winter-wear ever!
3. Watch Frozen and ask someone if they want to go build a snowman. Better yet, build an Olaf!
4. Hugs are scientifically proven to lift our moods. How many people have you hugged today?
5. Get creative. Paint something, get out the crayons, or start writing.
6. Reread a favorite book.
7. Start a blog. Sharing your experiences and feelings can inspire a community. It is especially helpful this time of year when we feel stuck due to winter weather.
8. There is little a cup of tea can’t fix.
9. Cuddle with your fur-babies! Don’t have any pets? Visit a friend who does or go volunteer at a local shelter.
10. Put on some music and have a dance party in your living room!
Remember that while happiness is a human emotion, so is sadness. It is perfectly normal to not feel super happy all of the time. Forcing ourselves to be happy sets us up for failure. We can accept our feelings for what they are instead of getting stuck in any particular emotion.
Let the feelings flow through you and try to love every moment you have, even cold ones. Love where you are right now.
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Author: Stacy Porter
Editor: Rachel Nussbaum
Photo: Author’s Own