I Drank Warm Honey Lemon Water Every Morning for a Year (Here’s What Happened).

Via Crystal Davis
on Feb 19, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Honey Lemon Article photo

Until a few years ago, honey and lemon drinks were something I bought in a packet from the chemist when in the death-throes of a full blown flu.

Naturally, those little packets didn’t help much, so I was skeptical when I started this whole crazy challenge.

Of course, drinking real lemon juice and proper honey in warm water is a totally different experience, and with all the hype around it I embarked on a 12 month quest to see if it really was as miraculous as the trend says.

I am pleased to report I am thoroughly converted, and here is why.

1. I have not had a cold, flu or gastro illness in the entire year.

Literally. On reflection, this actually blows my mind. All of my life I’ve been a serial tonsillitis-getter, and always seemed to pick up whatever was going around. With a large family, including lots of little ones, there is always someone around who has the latest bug. I am happy to report I no longer catch them, even when it rips through the rest of the gang.

Confession: there were days I skipped totally, and though I have felt very early signs of sickness sometimes (too many sneezes in a day, run down, extra tired, suspicious tummy rumblings) nothing at all has materialised. Sure I’ve had tired days and a few headaches, but nothing to write home about.

As soon as I got back on the regime these stopped happening, and I now absolutely swear by honey/lemon—to the point I‘ve become prematurely old-aged and carry them both in my bag when I stay at friend’s places or hotels. (Should I be worried I’m also proud of this?)

2. I no longer need coffee and have become a {gasp} morning person.

The zing I get from lemon and honey first thing in the morning has become something I crave, and doesn’t leave me with headaches or the dreaded caffeine comedown. I also have more energy for longer and am quicker to smile in the a.m.

It used to take me at least an hour to open my second eye and stop grunting at people like a cavewoman, but I’m now annoying the people that love me in new and wonderful ways like throwing deep philosophical questions at them as I bound into the kitchen. I’ll need to find a new challenge soon though if I am to keep them on their toes.

3. The people around me are becoming more healthy—the biggest reward.

So this has taken the longest: to convince my family that honey and lemon can help them prevent some of their man-flu incidents.

But after playing nurse and administering my magic potion to them when they are at their most desperate, they can finally see its benefits. “Whoa! That helped straight away!” never gets old and reminds me to keep going every morning so I don’t suffer the indignities of needing to be three feet from a toilet at all times, or running through a box of tissues an hour.

It’s such a lovely feeling to know that I can help my loved ones feel more well through something so simple and available. I have become some kind of one-trick uber-nurse, and that’s awesome.

My Recipe:

I generally use the juice of half a fresh lemon, and a decent teaspoon of organic, raw unheated honey in a standard mug with freshly boiled water that has cooled a little (but still hot enough to melt the honey). I then add a splash of cold so I can drink immediately in one go to rehydrate me as soon as I wake.

However, it does depend on the lemon and the honey, some lemons are juicier or more sour and some honeys more sweet, so experimenting is important! Also half a lemon may be too intense to start, my family uses a quarter.

Why does it work? Well, according to websites thehealthsite.com and Underground Health, there are at least nine major benefits to drinking warm honey lemon water every morning. But I’ll list my favourites here:

Keeps you regular and protects from UTIs

Because this mixture when taken first thing in the morning stimulates the digestive system, as well as hydrating the colon and more, honey lemon water keeps constipation at bay. It also acts as a diuretic, cleansing the urinary tract and ensuring no urinary tract infections. I can certainly verify this one!

Improves digestion

Every part of this drink aids in the digestive process; lemons assist your liver in producing more bile so you can break down complex foods better and use the good stuff from your meals. Honey is antibacterial which protects you from any infections you might have. It also helps with the production of mucus in the stomach, helping to flush out toxins. For this reason, it also assists with healthy weight balance.

Makes you glow with health and beauty

Lemon has many benefits for skin, but it also helps purify the blood as well as aiding in the production of new blood cells that act as cleaning agents. The water and honey create a restorative, antibacterial and collagen boosting powerhouse for your skin too.

So there you have it, my verdict is overwhelming positive and I highly, thoroughly recommend it. Plus it’s freakin’ delicious.

Disclaimer: I have become incredibly fussy about which honey and which lemons I use, and can see that makes all the difference. I am blessed to live in the pristine Tasmania, Australia where I source raw, unheated honey and organic lemons from the trees of my neighbours. When I am desperate and resort to supermarket lemons and honey, the result is not the same (it just tastes like fake sugary lemony yumminess).

Proper honey and healthily grown lemons are the key.

As well as a big handbag to carry them everywhere.

~

Relephant mindful market product:

Highland Bees Honey $8

highland_bees_honey.jpg

Relephant:

The 2 Week Lemon Water Challenge.

Cold & Flu Ginger Turmeric Tonic.

~

Bonus: the right kind of honey.

Another way to take care of yourself: plant your own garden for fresh, cheap nutrients:

~

Author: Crystal Davis

Editor: Travis May

Photo: Pixab, courtesy of author

A mindful tip for a morning to determine our day:

3,429,624 views

About Crystal Davis

Crystal Davis teaches entrepreneurs how to travel the world and make a positive global impact. Running her business from 14 countries in the past five years, she is a Guinness World Record holder, writer of articles viewed by millions, & lives by the words "impress yourself first." Enjoy her free trainings or follow her on Instagram and Facebook.

Comments

193 Responses to “I Drank Warm Honey Lemon Water Every Morning for a Year (Here’s What Happened).”

1. KK says:

Don’t overly complicate the situation here. Get some lemon concentrate and squeeze tube honey (any sort). Big glass, put a squirt of lemon in, a squirt of honey in, add cold water, then add some hot water to balance the temp and you’re done. The rest is fluff. Keep it simple, even without the expensive ‘non sweetened’ this or ‘organic’ that ingredients, you’ll already be doing 90% better than having not implemented this at all. Piece

2. @montedenby says:

So, I have to ask… Why did you stop with the lemon honey after 3 months? You might have actually quit smoking. It sounds like it was working for you.

3. Pallavi says:

Adding turmeric or ginger root to this mixture is fantastic for colds and coughs. I am not suggesting doing this everyday though! Not sure what it will do to the immune system.
    – Ayurvedic fan

4. Joe says:

Hi only one question for me do you drink the water all in one shot or do you sip it with time

5. kreacherspeaks says:

What about poor ole me allergic to honey?

6. Sherea says:

have you ever tried it using a high grade essential oil for the lemon? doTerra has a lemon oil that is safe to ingest and i use in water throughout the day – just a few drops does the trick and has the concentrated benefits of a whole lemon or more.

7. Eleanor says:

I have to take synthroid first thing in the morning with water, a half hour to an hour before anything else. How would this affect it?

8. Coral says:

Teeth. What about teeth?

9. Elba Garino says:

mix 2 H's and an O in a glass.

10. mallory says:

What do you mean by unheated honey? I buy unpaterized local organic honey. Do you mean unheated during the process or whe you are making the drink. Is there honey In stores “unheated honey”

Can’t wait to start this!
    Mallory

11. StevenCee says:

If the “right kind of lemons & honey” are required to get the real benefits, or otherwise it’s only like sugary lemonade, then how exactly did the author find this to be of such great benefit, before she got more picky about the ingredients. It sounds contradictory, no?

I tried this regimen, daily, for at least a couple months, organic honey, at least half a lemon, and honestly didn’t feel any benefits whatsoever. Now, maybe, as with some other holistic remedies I’ve tried, if you are already healthy, and holistic (not had a cold or flu for so many years, I can’t remember), you just don’t feel dramatic effects, so that could be why…

But I do wonder how all the great effects she speaks of, were felt, if not using the pickier ingredients she now uses, and says are required…

12. terrry schueling says:

After having 2 heart value surgeries and a lung surgeries, I have been suffering with fluid retention. My kidney specialist has cut me down to 800cc of fluid/daily. I'm
    tired of being miserable and full of fluid. He puts me on strong diuretics and then that washes all the sodium and potassium out of my body. Then he prescribes costly
    meds to raise sodium levels and takes me off the diuretics, then we start all over…vicious cycle. So I searched the internet and saw the top 10 natural diuretics, warm
    lemon water was on just about every list. Do you or any others know the effect of lemon/honey drink on sodium or potassium levels. FYI. I spent 61days in the
    hospital trying to get fluid off my body in 2014.. After doctors trying everything, they put me in ICU and took off 30 lbs of fluid in 24 hr with a dialysis machine. Risky, I
    don't want to there again. Hospitalized at 200lbs, left hospital at 150, and have managed to maintain a weight of 130. About a month ago, things started going south, and I
    am gaining fluid again. Scared of being back in the hospital! Looking for a natural way to stay healthy.

13. Karen G says:

Essential oils should not be used for this purpose. EO's are not meant to be ingested. Do some research on it.

14. Jess says:

Drinking cold water actually makes your body heat it up to use the water making it very good to work your metabolism. helps with dieting. Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:
    The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
    Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
    It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
    There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
    So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.
    But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories! how stuff works website

15. Natalie Holmes says:

Great article. I have also been doing this for a while. It has been life changing.
    It has also become some what of a ritual for me. I stand in the kitchen as I drink my warm delicious mixture and I silently pray, repeat a mantra, or simply thank the universe for everything I have been given.
    Love it!

16. anayat niazi says:

how many glass water good for health

17. Jewel says:

There is a profoundly offensive ad popping up on your depicting oral sex! Hello? Are you aware of this? The title of the pop up link says something about "the Cure for Foreplay." I want to vomit. Do something about it.

18. elephantjournal says:

Hi, we're sorry about that. A few others have brought it to our attention and we're trying to not have it come up anymore. We're definitely working on it. We apologize.

19. Jivan says:

H2O

20. Bob says:

One good test for temp level for nutrients in fruits etc. If you can tolerate the temp on your inner arm. Even though it makes your skin red a little. That is quite warm. Abiut 108 d C .. your tissues and also nutrients in fruits can cope with hot temp . Esp as its only for 30 seconds to liquify the honey. Then add a little cold to drink it straight fown. I leave my drink hot and sip it over 5 / 8 minutes . Boiling water is too hot at . 112 d. C let it cool for a minute ir two.

21. Joannes says:

More than 1 lemon per week destroys your enamel.

22. Nick says:

Hi everyone,

silly question but do you follow any rules with regards to what you intake after the lemon water? I've been doing this a long time but I've never been clear how long to leave it before I drink any more water or eat any food – currently I leave it at least 30mins but I'd like to get water in quicker if I could, I just don't want to take away from the benefits of the lemon water!

23. Allison says:

I am allergic to honey. Are there still benefits of just the lemon water or an alternative to honey?

24. Lara says:

I do this every morning too – i have 2 glasses of warm lemon juice. Results are amazing. Skin better feel better and have not being sick for the past year. I go for a run every morning and come back and make this drink.

25. dupagegarden says:

I use a glass straw. I purchased if from Glassdharma.com. I don't work for them I just love their glass straws. They do break if you're not careful. I highly recommend the straw cleaner they sell along with the straw.

26. Are the positive effects a result of the virtues of lemon and honey or of a very positive placebo effect?

27. Chuck says:

Two parts hydrogen one part oxygen.

28. Tazeen says:

I have been hearing different versions of this hot honey lemon water. I started with the same. Then someone said if it’s not pure honey it may cause acidity and tummy trouble. So I stopped adding honey. And just today my nutritionist said lemon does nothing, have plain warm water!

I have arthritis. Can just lemon water aggravate it? What if I can’t find pure honey?

Thanks 🙂

29. gennie says:

this is not great for people with reflex problems as it burns and upsets your tummy

30. Annie says:

I've been doing this for the last 4 months, as suggested by my grandma. Before this, i was catching every sickness going around and constantly being sick every week! I'm proud to say I do this every morning when i wake up and haven't had flu like symptoms since! I've the early symptoms but they usually go away quickly! I convince everyone around me to do it too, i've had them get to me telling me how much it works! i can't stress enough how amazing this natural remedy is!

31. Mary says:

Just wondering, do you do this before breakfast or after? Do you even eat breakfast when you do this does food change what the lemon and honey water to to the body?

Thanks

Mary

32. Kimberli says:

Would this be as effective if I substituted the lemon with lime??

Thx.

Kimberli

33. Shamil says:

If you add lemon and honey More cinnamon and ginger, then the value of this drink will increase many times! (sorry for my English)

34. Elaine Wilbur says:

It is alright to squeeze the lemons before time and put the juice the refrigerator?

35. JBlue says:

Hi.
    I read your article elsewhere, so I decided to google your name. Did you know that your article is also posted here: http://diyzone.tips/i-drank-warm-honey-lemon-wate

Good article, I enjoyed reading it.

36. Sunrider says:

Water too hot kills the vitamin C from lemon, so I would first dissolve honey in warm water, then add colder water (so that it would be mildly warm) and only in the end lemon juice.

By the way, It is also posted on truth-code.com. You are credited, though, and the original post (this one) linked.

37. Mike says:

Yesterday morning, I decided to try this out instead of my usual cup of coffee. I was having minor reflux issues afterwards, which burned my throat for the second half of the day. 15 hours later, I’m laying here with my first sore throat in about a year. I’ll stick with the coffee for now, thanks!

38. rlct says:

Doesn't this ruin your teeth? My dentist told me not to drink hot water with lemon!!

39. Viola says:

I am also curious as to how it affected your teeth. Did you use a straw? Did you wait 30 minutes before brushing your teeth? Prolonged exposure of Citric acid can be extremely damaging to the tooth enamel.

40. Fano says:

I just want to try to lose weight.wil it help?

41. daisy merollin says:

Hi.. i take my thyroid medication first thing in the morning. so il have to drink a whole glass of water with it and have to wait for atleast half an hour to drink or eat anything. is it ok to drink honey lime after that or can it be taken with the thyroid medication?

42. pat says:

I have heard a lot about lemon honey water I have a lot of trouble with my bowls will this help

43. Daniel says:

Just because someone (the dentist) says something, doesn’t mean it’s true. Almost like how they also say oil pulling is bad for your teeth.. No, it’s bad for their business