My daughters and I went to see the new Cinderella on opening night.
When I was a little girl, I loved reading and watching Cinderella, so I was very excited to experience the film with my girls.
I knew within the opening scene, I was obligated to take notes for all of you. Although I’m single, 35 years old, the product of a divorced mother and father, and a divorce and several failed relationships of my own, I remain a believer in love.
This film stoked my fire of faith to burn that much brighter.
Cinderella is not just a romantic love story/fantasy, it’s a love story about the resilience of the human spirit, and the journey from love, to loss, to love, to loss, to love again. My daughters learned some valuable lessons from the film, some of which I’d like to share with you, so you can feel as uplifted as we did when we left—believing in love and magic, just a little more.
Here are 25 quotes and life lessons I gathered in that hour and twenty minutes:
1. Cinderella saw the world, “not how it is, but how it could be.” Maybe if we all saw the world as Cinderella did, the world would be a more peaceful place. Her hope and faith fueled her optimism. If we were all a little more optimistic, think of how it could be…
2. “I believe in everything,” said Cinderella’s mother. “Well then, I believe in everything,” said Cinderella. Speaking of fuel, parents’ beliefs fuel their children’s beliefs. If you are a parent, make sure your beliefs are loving and kind.
3. “Sorrow can come to any kingdom no matter how happy.” Pain is inevitable, and will visit everyone at some point in our lives, despite how joyous and content we are. Also, it is important to remember, that no matter how painful it may be right now, joy will come. Joy will come, just wait…
4. “Pain turned to memory.” Pain is inevitable, and so is healing. Pain always fades with time.
5. “Have courage and be kind.” Rules to live by.
6. “Magic, believe in magic.” Another rule to live by.
7. It’s better to be alone, than be surrounded by poor company. When Cinderella was banished to the attic, (at first) she felt free. No one could bother her or boss her around. She found freedom in solitude; freedom from the negativity of her step mother and step sisters.
8. She had few friends, but the ones she had, “she treated with an open heart and an open hand.” Give. Give. Give.
9. Everything happens for a reason, even the bad things. The bad things that happen to us, always seem to lead to good things in the end. “If the step sisters hadn’t been cruel, she would never have met the prince.”
10. “Just because it’s done, doesn’t mean it should be done.” Exactly.
11. “It was her spirit, her goodness,” the prince said, as he described Cinderella, to his father. Our spirit outshines our outsides, always. No matter how much or how little we have, our spirit is the richest and most undeniable part of us.
12. “What is a bowl of milk? Nothing, but kindness is everything, “ said her fairy godmother. Our actions are everything. Make them kind actions, and we will change the world.
13. The arrival of the fairy godmother reminded me that real life angels do appear when we start to forget or disbelieve in the magic. They come around to restore our faith in all the forces working together in our benefit, that we just can’t see.
14. As the clock struck midnight, it was a reminder—we can only be someone else for so long. We can only pretend until time is up, and time always reveals who we really are. This is what Cinderella is all about.
15. Cinderella is not just a romantic love story, it is a tale about honor—honoring others and honoring ourselves by accepting who we are, stripped down to nothing but our kindness and our courage—our spirit.
16. “Even though she was sad, her spirit was not broken.” The spirit can’t break, it can’t.
17. “We need not look outside our borders for strength and guidance. Everything we need is right before us.” Always.
18. “Marry for love, not advantage.” Always.
19. There is a beautiful significance to the glass slipper—there’s only one, you. No one, no matter how hard they might try, can take your place or fill your shoes. You belong to you. Period.
20. “Kindness is free, love is free.” To which Cinderella’s stepmother replied, “No! It isn’t!” To which, my daughter, Ruby leaned over and (whispered in my ear) proclaimed, “Yes it is! Yes it is!”
21. “No!” Cinderella finally says no to her stepmother, not out of defiance, but out of courage. Saying no takes courage.
22. Love will find you no matter where you are. She was locked in an attic, in the middle of the forest, but he found her. He found her.
23. “To be seen as we truly are, is the biggest risk we will ever take. Will we be enough as we really are?” And one day, the question will come, you will be asked, “Who are you?” And if you’re brave enough, you will answer, “I have nothing. I am nothing, but who I am.” And you will ask the person, who asks you who you are, “Will you take me as I am?” And one day, the answer will be, “Of course, I will. But only if you will take me as I am.” Hand in hand, he or she will ask you one final question, “Shall we?” And you will reply, “Yes, we shall.” Yet, before you turn and walk toward the future, there’s one last thing you must do…
24. “I forgive you.” Forgiveness sets us free and lets love all the way in. You must forgive all of the pain and sorrow that brought you to this moment; that brought you to love again.
25. Although I’ve quoted it already, just in case you’ve forgotten—remember to be courageous and always be kind.
Author: Rebecca Lammersen
Editor: Renée Picard
Image: via the author
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 54,956 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,492 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,347 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 4,745 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,018 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 2,180 shares