The Little Prince is making waves on the internet this week by releasing another trailer for its upcoming film.
It looks adorable and makes me even more excited for this upcoming movie.
I am thrilled that this story is being brought to a new generation of children who may not have been exposed to the book. The book tells a remarkable a tale full of wisdom, metaphysics and fantasy that is incredible for both children and adults alike. In such a brilliant small novella, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry explores what we see with our heart versus our eyes.
Here are some of my absolute favorite quotes to get you excited to pick up your copy (it is one of the most translated books and sells around 2 million copies per year) or see the movie later this year:
1. “People have forgotten this truth, the fox said. But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed. You’re responsible for your rose.”
2. “You—you alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night…You—only you—will have stars that can laugh.”
3. “What makes the desert beautiful, said the little prince, is that somewhere it hides a well…”
4. “People where you live, the little prince said, grow five thousand roses in one garden… yet they don’t find what they’re looking for…They don’t find it, I answered. And yet what they’re looking for could be found in a single rose, or a little water…Of course, I answered. And the little prince added, But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart.”
5. “You see, one loves the sunset when one is so sad.”
6.”You’re beautiful, but you’re empty. No one could die for you. Of course, an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than all of you together, since she’s the one I’ve watered. Since she’s the one I put under glass, since she’s the one I sheltered behind the screen. Since she’s the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except the two or three butterflies). Since she’s the one I listened to when she complained, or when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she’s my rose.”
7. “Where are the people? resumed the little prince at last. It’s a little lonely in the desert…It is lonely when you’re among people, too, said the snake.”
8. “In those days, I didn’t understand anything. I should have judged her according to her actions, not her words. She perfumed my planet and lit up my life. I should never have run away! I ought to have realized the tenderness underlying her silly pretensions. Flowers are so contadictory! But I was too young to know how to love her.”
9. “I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasn’t much improved my opinion of them.”
10. (And quite possibly my favorite) “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
This book is amazingly magical and seamlessly marries whimsy and profound kindness. I am not a cartoon person but I can not wait to see it brought to life. My only reservation is that is in competition with my imagination which has created a rich landscape for it to thrive.
Author: Katie Schellenberg
Editor: Renee Jahnke