*Dear elephant reader: if you’re single & looking for mindful dating or conscious love, try out our lovely partner, MeetMindful.
Do you know that when we are worrying about your problems, we are actually doing a “Worry Meditation”?
We sometimes look at people on the subway talking to themselves and think, “That dude is crazy!” However, if others could hear what is usually going on in our own heads, they might call the guys in the white coats and send us to the padded room at the insane asylum for evaluation.
But enough focusing on the craziness of our everyday mind. Let’s not focus on “Worrying Meditation.” Most people are already experts at that type of meditation.
How about creating more love, healing, and joy in your life? Or, another way to say this is, how about opening up to the incredible love that is inside your heart right now?
When will this love come back to us? At some future date when we meet the right person? When all of our special conditions (relationship, job, money, etc.) are perfectly met?
No. The Love is here right now.
For those of you who have been wanting to meditate but haven’t been able to start, or feel it is too boring or difficult, this is a meditation I came up with recently, and it is just for you. It’s easy to do and you feel good right away. Not only will you feel happy during and after doing this meditation, but you will heal yourself of physical health problems using this fun and simple meditation.
Here’s Ron’s “Love Meditation”:
1. First, put yourself in a quiet environment where you can totally relax, preferably indoors. You will understand why in a minute.
2. You should be lying down in your bed or in a comfortable chair (like a recliner in your living room). There is no need to get a meditation cushion and get all austere and zen on us. Too serious.
3. Don’t forget to switch your cell phone off or into “do not disturb” mode.
4. If you like, put on some quiet and relaxing music, like the kind a massage therapist would play.
5. Now lie down or lie back and pay attention to your breathing. Breathe naturally.
6. Close your eyes.
7. Now here we go with that actual meditation. Picture someone (or an animal) you love. Your dog. Your boyfriend. Your best friend who just called you and asked how you’re doing. Your kid. Your grandmother who you laughs at all your jokes. If you have a connection with a particular spiritual figure, like a saint, or the Buddha, Jesus, or the Dalai Lama, you may picture this person.
8. Feel the incredible love you have for this person (or pet). Sit with that love. You will find that as you sit with it, it grows.
9. Congratulations, you are now in touch with your heart, which can also be called the Love Manufacturing Machine (LMM). Let your heart continue to produce that feeling of love and feel how this feeling of love is an energy, like light or an electromagnetic signal, or even some kind of special vapor that is coming out of your heart. Let this vapor fill the room. If the vapor or energy has a color, see it filling up the room you are in. (I want you to feel that you have completely filled the room with this heart energy, which is why it is better to do this in a room. However, if you are outdoors, you can imagine filling the whole sky with your love!)
10. Now relax and soak in the Love Vapor you have created. Let it nourish your heart. Let it nourish each of your organs. If you are having a problem with a specific part of your body, like your back or your digestion (your intestines or stomach), let the energy bathe that part. Let every cell of your body bathe in the Love Energy you have created.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10, creating and filling up with room with your Love Energy, and then soaking it in.
12. If you realize that you have fallen asleep, that is great! Your body needed it and as an extra bonus, your sleep will have also been affected by the nourishing Heart Energy you have created.
13. Do the process as long as you like. It could be for five minutes or for an hour. You’re the boss.
14. Do this every day and watch as more love, seemingly out of nowhere, comes into your life. You are bringing more love into your world.
After doing this, anywhere from once to a few weeks, if you feel moved, let me know how it went. I would love to hear about your experience.
Wishing everyone a day (and a life) full of Love.
Author: Ron Elkayam
Editor: Emily Bartran
Photo: Hartwig HKD/Flickr