For those who are a bit hazy about what happens during Mercury retrograde, here’s what you need to know:
The world seems to go haywire with miscommunications of all types during this period—which happens again from November 16 to December 6, 2018.
It’s a time when we can encounter unusual problems traveling and lots of delays. It’s also not a good time to make commitments or sign contracts.
In astrology, the planet Mercury rules our intelligence, mind, memory, and all types of communication ranging from talking to texting and writing. It also affects our self-expression and communication style. In a more public sense, it rules commerce, computers, telephones, transportation, and air travel.
When this unique event happens—usually three to four times a year—communication of all types goes bonkers! Suddenly, normal communication becomes unreliable, filled with misinformation where important data is missing or misunderstood. The passage of information from one person to the other seems to be unintentionally cloudy or confused in some way. During the retrograde period, a person’s intellectual, communication, and mental processes are less acute and become prone to mistakes.
In past Mercury retrograde articles, I’ve written about the many problems we may encounter. However, there is a positive side to Mercury retrograde that we may experience over the next three weeks.
Here are some amazingly good things that can happen to us during Mercury retrograde:
- Hearing from People in our Past. You could hear from an old friend or contact who you wrote to months ago and never heard back from. Don’t be surprised if you’re contacted by an “old flame,” wanting to say hello and see how you are. I had an ex-fiancé I hadn’t heard from in years call me in the middle of Mercury retrograde to see if I was still single and available.
- Discovering Problems we Can Finally Fix. Have you ever heard a “water drip,” but couldn’t find where it was coming from? Well, you will during Mercury retrograde. It is a great time to solve a mystery, and to discover a solution to a problem you’ve had. If your car or computer has a problem, it may show up during the retrograde, which gives you the opportunity to fix it, once and for all (even if you make the actual repair when Mercury is direct).
- Hearing from Employers or Old Clients. If you’ve been looking for a job and have been waiting for a response from a particular employer, you may hear back from them during these three weeks. If you are in sales, expect to get a call from a client who refused to do business with you—yet now, he’s interested.
- Finding Lost Items. This is a great time to search for personal items you lost a long time ago. Things you lost months or even years ago will finally turn up. This is when you pull up the cushion on your old couch and discover a treasure trove of lost earrings or the phone number of someone you really wanted to ask out on a date. I’ve had clients find objects such as a set of keys they misplaced or a valuable ring they were sure was stolen.
- Finishing Old Projects. This is a great time to finish any projects that you started before Mercury went retrograde, as you won’t experience the problems that can come from starting new projects now. Instead, you will enjoy completing them, whether it’s a home remodeling project or finishing planting your garden.
- Learning the Truth. Remember: while Mercury is retrograde, there are usually things that you don’t know. However, it’s great news to know that it is only temporary, because when Mercury goes direct you’ll find out the truth. You may find that the “too good to be true” real estate deal was, in fact, “too good to be true.” Or that suit you thought was too expensive for your budget just went on a 50 percent clearance sale; or that romance you were excited about wasn’t what you thought it was. (Beware: cheating spouses.)
- Laughing More. Listen to the news. You’ll read about crazy mistakes that will make you smile or chuckle. During one Mercury retrograde, it was reported that the police guarding Wembley Stadium, where Olympic football matches were being played, revealed that they had lost a set of keys to the venue. This prompted an investigation into the lost keys by Scotland Yard. (Sounds a bit like the Keystone Cops!)
My hope is that you enjoy all the good things that can happen during this Mercury retrograde!