While everyone overthinks in certain situations once in a while, some of us are tormented by a constant barrage of thoughts all the time. Persistent overthinkers keep rethinking conversations, events or situations that have happened or may happen.
When you overthink, your judgments get cloudy, and your stress gets elevated. You spend too much time in the negative. It can become difficult to act. Moreover, this can often lead to issues with mental health and well-being, and it can also affect our cause of action or outcome. So, if we know the ill effects of overthinking, then why do they still torment us? Why can’t we stop them from reoccurring?
It is because we do not know the cause. If we knew the cause, the effects can easily be solved. The mind of human beings is like a radar. The thoughts that constantly arise are there only to caution you. The mind informs you that this may happen or that may happen, that is all. What you have to do is decide whether they are useful enough to be paid heed to or not. If yes, then take the necessary steps, and if not, just note its contents and let the thoughts go, by replacing the thought with something else.
Steps to help alleviate the habit of overthinking.
- Keep your thoughts normal. Meaning it is alright to think up to a certain point, but when these thoughts go over the limit of normality, causing you to worry and feel anxious etc, then stop them from going further. Converse with your mind and assure it that nothing bad is going to happen. Counterbalance your thoughts, by keeping them normal and optimistic. When you remain optimistic, you are naturally influencing a positive outcome.
- See if there is any validation to your thoughts and ascertain if there is any truth in them, or is it something that is only self-invited?
- Keep the focus on problem-solving. When negative or destructive thoughts take over your mind, keep reasoning with the mind in whichever way you can, but do not agree with it at all. Otherwise, you will suffer from harmful emotions like anxiety and worry.
- Don’t think of what can go wrong, rather think about what can go right. In many cases, overthinking is caused by a single emotion of fear. When you focus on all the negative things that might happen, it is easy to become paralysed. Next time you sense that you are starting to spiral in that direction, stop. Visualize all the things that can go right and keep those thoughts present.
- Go for a walk, get some fresh air or do some form of exercise. This will re-energise you and you will gain a fresher perspective on things.
There will be times when you are overloaded with negative thoughts. At that time,
- Pray to God, asking for strength to come out of negativity.
- Recite the prayers for 10 minutes or more. This will help to still your mind and feel a sense of detachment.
- Replace the incessant overthinking by visualizing the image of your Lord in your mind as this will ease the worry.
Akram Vignan is a permanent solution…
Did you know that thoughts that arise and lead to overthinking are because of the opinions we have formed in our past life, which are giving their effects to us in this life? Therefore, do not give them any credence in this life, and just let them go.
Rather than constantly battling negative thoughts and overthinking, which takes away your peace of mind and creates inner restlessness, you could go for a permanent solution by enquiring into Akram Vignan, the most practical spiritual science for today’s age. You will find solutions that explain the science behind the mind, thoughts, etc and will give you permanent results which yield inner peace of mind.