Elephant Journal Privacy – Ad Serving
Advertising is a core part of Elephant Journal’s business. Our websites, apps, advertising services, products, and services are supported by the ads we and others display. We also provide a variety of online advertising services to other companies that want to place ads on our Services or elsewhere.
Elephant Journal serves display ads, also known as graphical ads, which appear as images, animation, or video. Elephant Journal also serves text ads that appear as text links. Elephant Journal’s advertising platforms provide the means for advertisers, agencies, publishers, and ad networks to manage their advertising business.
- Ads are more effective when they are shown to people who are likely to be interested in the product or service advertised. For this reason, we use the information we collect and receive to help us select which ads to show you.
- We may select these ads based on the content of the page or app on which they appear. For instance, if you are viewing an article about the need for eco yoga apparel, Elephant Journal may show you an ad for a store that sells yoga attire manufactured from all natural or recycled materials. These kinds of ads are sometimes called “contextual ads.”
- Other ads we select may be based on information we have collected or received about activities and interests on websites and apps used on your device and other associated devices. These ads are sometimes called “interest-based ads.” Some interest-based ads are based only on an isolated online activity, such as if you were to go to an online bookstore and view a particular novel. The bookseller might want to show you an ad for that novel because you’re probably more interested in buying it than the average online user. This kind of interest-based advertising is sometimes called “retargeting” or “remarketing.”
- Other interest-based ads are shown based on your online activities over time and across different websites and apps used on your various devices. We may collect information about your online activities in this way in order to make predictions about what products or services might be of interest to you. Based on these predictions, we and other companies may categorize you as belonging to a “segment” of users to which advertisers may be interested in showing ads. For example, if you’ve recently visited a bike shop’s website, you might be grouped in an “Bicycle Intenders” segment, and a bicycle dealer who places ads with us might want us to show ads to the users who are in this segment.
- We also select ads to show you based on other information you provide or that we collect from other sources, such as your gender, age or location, searches you conduct, or what your friends or contacts recommend to you, apps on the device, or based on your other interests.
Data Use To Provide More Relevant Advertising
As explained above, we use the data we collect or receive about you to help us show ads for products or services that you are likely to be interested in and make the advertising we serve more effective.
Elephant Journal may use information you provide or that it receives, including information that on its own could reasonably identify you, to tailor ads when you use our Services or the services of others. Elephant Journal may also analyze your use of our Services, including your engagement with the ads we show you, to improve the effectiveness of our advertising platforms, limit the number of times you see the same ad, and measure the effectiveness of the specific ads we serve.
- Elephant Journal’s systems may analyze all content (including email and messenger communications) to match and serve targeted advertising.
- Elephant Journal may tailor ads based on location.
- Elephant Journal may use information you provide, such as your age or gender, to tailor ads when you are logged in.
- Elephant Journal uses a variety of tools, including, but not limited to, IP Addresses, web beacons, SDKs, cookies, and similar technologies, to support Elephant Journal advertising services. Click each link to learn more.
- Elephant Journal may tailor ads to you based on people you have connected with and their demonstrated or declared interests.
- Elephant Journal may personalize ads to you based upon activities of accounts and devices associated with you.
- We use data that we receive from other sources to help us provide more effective advertising. For example, we may use data that is available from public or commercial sources and combine it with other data we have collected or received about a user or the user’s device for these purposes.
- We do not use, or allow others to use, sensitive financial account number data or other sensitive data (as defined by the self-regulatory programs listed below) to determine eligibility for health insurance, life insurance, or employment. We also do not target ads to users based on sensitive health data, including cancer, mental health-related conditions, and sexually-related areas.
- If a user appears interested in non-sensitive, health-related topics (such as by visiting pages related to such a topic) an ad relevant to those interests may be displayed. We also may display non-sensitive, health-related ads to users who we or our advertisers believe may be an appropriate audience for such topics. For example, a user who is of childbearing age or views several pages related to newborns and parenting might later be shown an ad for diapers. Similarly, a user who lives in an area with high prevalence of diabetes or high blood pressure, or who views content related to diabetes or high blood pressure might later be shown related ads.
- New Zealand: Interactive Advertising Bureau of New Zealand (IAB) – Learn more about its principles.
Questions and Suggestions
If you have questions, suggestions, or complaints, please contact us at:
2031 16th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
Advertising Vendor List
(Updated: May 18’ 2018)