Welcome to the Elephant Journal Privacy Center
Last updated: May 2018
Our Privacy Pledge
We believe you should have tools to control your information. You can find controls to manage or review your account information on the My Account page.
Information Collection and Use – General
We may collect and combine information when you interact with Elephant Journal Services including:
- Information You Provide to Us. We may collect the information that you provide to us, such as:
- When you create an account with an Elephant Journal Service or brand. (Please note, when your use our Services, we may recognize you or your devices even if you are not signed in to our Services.) Elephant Journal may use device IDs, cookies, and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and/or devices with you.
- When you use our Services to communicate with others or post, upload or store content (such as comments, photos, voice inputs, videos, emails, messaging services and attachments).
- Elephant Journal analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing mail. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.
- When you otherwise use our Services, such as title queries, watch history, page views, search queries, view the content we make available or install any Elephant Journal software such as plugins.
- When you sign up for paid Services, use Services that require your financial information or complete transactions with us or our business partners, we may collect your payment and billing information.
- Device Information. We collect information from your devices (computers, mobile phones, tablets, etc.), including information about how you interact with our Services and those of our third-party partners and information that allows us to recognize and associate your activity across devices and Services. This information includes device specific identifiers and information such as IP address, cookie information, mobile device and advertising identifiers, browser version, operating system type and version, mobile network information, device settings, and software data. We may recognize your devices to provide you with personalized experiences and advertising across the devices you use.
- Location Information. We collect location information from a variety of sources. You can learn more about and manage your location permissions on our Locations page and by visiting the location settings tool on your devices.
- Information from Cookies and Other Technologies.
- We collect information when you access content, advertising, sites, interactive widgets, applications, and other products (both on and off of our Services) where Elephant Journal’s data collection technologies (such as web beacons, development tools, cookies and other technologies, etc.) are present. These data collection technologies allow us to understand your activity on and off our Services and to collect and store information when you interact with Services we offer to partners.
- This information also includes the kind of content or ads served, viewed or clicked on; the frequency and duration of your activities; the sites or apps you used before accessing our Services and where you went next; whether you engaged with specific content or ads; and whether you went on to visit an advertiser’s website, downloaded an advertiser’s app, purchased a product or service advertised, or took other actions.
- Information from Others. We collect information about you when we receive it from other users, and third-parties, such as:
- When you connect your account to third-party services or sign in using a third-party partner (like Facebook or Twitter).
- From publicly-available sources.
- From advertisers about your experiences or interactions with their offerings.
- When we obtain information from third-parties or other companies, such as those that use our Services. This may include your activity on other sites and apps as well as information those third-parties provide to you or us.
How We Use This Information
We are able to deliver, personalize, and improve our Services by combining and using the information we have about you (including information we receive on and off our Services) to understand how you use and interact with our Services and the people or things you’re connected to and interested in. We also may use the information we have about you for the following purposes:
- Provide, maintain, improve, and develop relevant features, content, and Services.
- Analyze your content and other information. You can review and control certain types of information tied to your Elephant Journal account by using Privacy Controls.
- Fulfill your requests and when authorized by you.
- Help advertisers and publishers connect to offer relevant advertising in their apps and websites.
- Match and serve targeted advertising (across devices and both on and off of our Services) and provide targeted advertising based on your device activity, inferred interests and location information.
- Contact you with information about your account or with marketing messages.
- Associate your activity across our Services and your different devices as well as associate any accounts you may use across Elephant Journal Services together. We may associate activity and accounts under a single user ID.
- Carry out or support promotions.
- Conduct research and support innovation.
- Create analytics and reports for external parties, including partners, publishers, advertisers, apps, third-parties and the public regarding the use of and trends within our Services and ads, including showing trends to partners regarding general preferences, the effectiveness of ads and information on user experiences. These analytics and reports may include aggregate or pseudonymized information.
- Combine information we have about you with information we obtain from business partners or other companies, such as your activities on other sites and apps.
- Detect and defend against fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful activity.
We provide you with controls to manage your experience with us. You can review or edit your account information or contact [email protected] for more options.
How We Share This Information
- With Your Consent. We will share information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Elephant Journal after you give your consent.
- Within Elephant Journal. Information may also be shared within Elephant Journal, including with other Elephant Journal Services and affiliates. Elephant Journal affiliates may use the information in a manner consistent with their privacy policies.
- With Partners. We may share your information with nonaffiliated companies who are:
- Trusted Partners. We provide user information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Elephant Journal based on our directions and in compliance with appropriate confidentiality measures. Learn more.
- Advertising, Analytics and Business Partners (Limited to Non-Personally Identifiable Information). We may share aggregated or pseudonymous information (including demographic information) with partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps, or other companies. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads performed or report how many people installed an app after seeing a promotion. We do not share information that personally identifies you (personally identifiable information is information like name or email address) with these partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps, or other companies.
- When you use third-party apps, websites or other products integrated with our Services, they may collect information about your activities subject to their own terms and privacy policies.
- For Legal and Other Purposes. We may access, preserve and disclose information to investigate, prevent, or take action in connection with: (i) legal process and legal requests; (ii) enforcement of the Terms; (iii) claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties; (iv) requests for customer service; (v) technical issues; (vi) protecting the rights, property or personal safety of Elephant Journal, its users or the public; (vii) establishing or exercising our legal rights or defending against legal claims; or (viii) as otherwise required by law.
- This may include responding to lawful governmental requests.
How to Manage and Remove Your Data
Contact support to manage or fully delete your data from Elephant Journal by using our support form located at: https://www.elephantjournal.com/elephant-journal-customer-support/.
Once the request is approved and your user data has been removed from our system, all articles, posts, elements, comments and any meta data associated with your user or any of the content associated with your user account will be removed and will no longer be accessible.
New Ownership. If the ownership or control of all or part of Elephant Journal or a specific Services changes as a result of a merger, acquisition or sale of assets, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
Information Security and Data Retention
Elephant Journal has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorized access, use or disclosure of customer information we collect or store.
To learn more about security, including the steps we have taken and steps you can take, please read Security at Elephant Journal.
Protecting Children’s Privacy
Our Services are for a general audience. We do not knowingly collect, use, or share information that could reasonably be used to identify children under age 13 without prior parental consent or consistent with applicable law.
Data Processing and Transfers
Elephant Journal may process information related to individuals in the EU/EEA and may transfer that information from the EU/EEA through various compliance mechanisms, including data processing agreements based on the EU/EEA Standard Contractual Clauses. By using our Services, you consent to us transferring information about you to these countries. For more information, please visit our Data Transfer page.
Other Important Information
Questions & Suggestions
If you have questions, suggestions, or wish to make a complaint, please contact [email protected] or mail us at:
2031 16th Street