Are we a Lost Generation? Then let’s Reverse it. {Amazing video, share if so inspired.}

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 6.1
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
67.2k

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

When I was young, I used to frequently complain that our generation didn’t feel a moving ethos, that idealism mixed with arrogance that young people traditionally express when they look at the state of the world they find themselves growing up into.

I got chills watching the below video, even though I knew what would happen. I won’t let you know the trick, just watch it first (11 Million already have on youtube):

Explanation via Jim Ferris, who tipped me off to this:

A palindrome reads the same backwards as forward. This video reads the exact opposite backwards as forward.  Not only does it read the opposite, the meaning is the exact opposite.
This is only a 1 minute, 44 second video and it is brilliant.   Make sure you read as well as listen…forward and backward.

This is a video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old.  The contest was titled “u @ 50”  by  AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause.  So simple and yet so brilliant. Take a minute and watch it.

Via the artist:

I guess I should finally get around to putting something here. I am surprised that it has received so much attention recently.

This video was created for the AARP [email protected] video contest and placed second

It is based on the Argentinian Political Advertisement “The Truth” by RECREAR
Thanks to joezandstra for posting it as a video response. If you would like more info about the video you can find it here

The two songs are
Mind things
Our Lifes, Our Destinies

t r y ^ d
Beauty
both of which are available for free through the creative commons license and on the site http://www.jamendo.com/en/.

Bonus: “This poem reads negatively downward, but positively upward.”

“I’m an unwavering optimist.. almost to the point of being super annoying.. but for those who sometimes struggle to see the bright side.. THIS is very cool.

Read it top to bottom, then bottom to top.
‪#‎BottomToTop‬

“A poem anonymously posted in a London bar is driving everyone crazy with its awesome twist ending.”

Bonus: Want to help the world? Here’s how:

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 1.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 6.1
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
67.2k

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Mar 7, 2012 8:49pm

Glad to see this nice piece confront the peremptory and strategically oppressive "Lost Generation" label, which was crafted in a Madison Ave board room. Just wish, in doing so, it would mention fighting back against our (the US's) willful killing of civilians and waging war for profit, which are much more imminent and disgraceful than any "environmental" issue.

anonymous Dec 26, 2011 9:17pm

Wonderful! I live in Argentina, and I can say that things has happened in a way close to this words, but it is because Lopez Murphy did not won the election for president!!!

anonymous Aug 29, 2011 5:34pm

[…] yet—still—we’ve shown we can reverse it, before. We’re all threatened, […]

anonymous May 13, 2011 1:14pm

message is awesome!

anonymous Apr 18, 2011 1:50pm

[…] […]

anonymous Apr 17, 2011 5:20am

Great video. Powerful concept. The negative comment reflects the hate we have empowered in this country by allowing radical socialists, Marxists, and Communists to grab the WH bully pulpit. Unless this generation recognizes the destructive nihilism of the far left for what it is we have some rough times ahead. Kudos to Ben for his responses, F Bombs and all.

anonymous Jul 18, 2011 8:56am

Unless this generation rises above contrived left/right divisions that keep attentions focused on fear of "others" while in reality serving the cause of privilege and exploitive wealth, we will have barbarically dark times ahead. Kudos to everyone intent on seeing thru the veil…

Ben Ralston Aug 16, 2010 1:54am

Really beautiful video. I also wonder how hard it is to make a palindrome now? I bet it’s tough!

And I also wonder who on Earth won first place, because this, in my opinion, is one of the best videos I’ve ever seen!

Thanks Way 🙂 I”m sharing it on…

anonymous Jul 30, 2010 3:46pm

Wow, Way!
This made me cry into my tea.
Bless you.
xo.

anonymous Jun 21, 2010 8:56pm

Now I want to write a poem or post like those that was cool. I'm going to have to give it a try. I wonder how difficult it would be.

Lasara Allen Jun 8, 2010 6:51pm

Wow, what's up with the hyper negative quotes on this post?

The video brought tears to my eyes, and made my breath catch in my throat. It was beautiful. Thank you, Way, for sharing it.

anonymous Apr 14, 2010 11:41am

[…] } I just saw this posted on Elephant Journal. Less than two minutes and worth the time to watch […]

anonymous Mar 22, 2010 6:27am

unify

anonymous Mar 22, 2010 12:23am

if you feel so strongly, unplug from the NET and get busy being the change you want to see in the world…. palindromes are clever but are merely words at the end of the day.

the internet saps human vitality.

anonymous Mar 19, 2010 2:50am

This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

anonymous Mar 13, 2010 9:12pm

this is saccharine garbage.

anonymous Mar 22, 2010 6:24am

you suck dude. lighten up and stop belittling other peoples struggle to express themselves.

yoiu fucking troll.

get back under your bridge.

anonymous Mar 12, 2010 9:50pm

This is some white people cult shit. You all should be ashame of yourselves.

anonymous Mar 19, 2010 10:53am

ahahahahahahaha exactly! still, this is a cool concept!

anonymous Mar 22, 2010 6:26am

dont be a fucking racist you fool… there is but one family of humans under the sun.

you should have grown out of your petty and divisional world view by now.

unify or die

elephant journal Mar 22, 2010 3:51pm

I agree, Ben, but let's keep it respectful both ways, go easy on F bombs. Love the passion, though.

anonymous Mar 2, 2010 12:45am

who won first in the AARP contest?

anonymous Mar 1, 2010 11:10pm

Nice Amelie soundtrack, Argentina.

Bob Weisenberg Feb 23, 2010 9:44pm

Fascinating. Thanks.

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of Elephant Journal & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat.” Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword’s Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by “Greatist”, Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: “the mindful life” beyond the choir & to all those who didn’t know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, touches on modern relationships from a Buddhist point of view. His dream of 9 years, the Elephant “Ecosystem” will find a way to pay 1,000s of writers a month, helping reverse the tide of low-quality, unpaid writing & reading for free online.