Sexist Meat Market.

Via Melanie Klein
on Jul 15, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Pamela Anderson’s Newest Ad Campaign for PETA.

Ah, PETA is at it again.

Here is their latest installment in a series of sexist, degrading ads featuring an objectified, nearly nude woman.

This time long-time animal rights activist, Pamela Anderson,  is “carved” up like any other hunk of meat.

PETA utilizes images of nude or near nude women as a “catchy” way to raise awareness about animal cruelty, factory farming and the benefits of a vegetarian diet.

In PETA’s ongoing efforts to raise consciousness about these important issues, including the exploitation of animals, they in turn continue to exploit women.

Read more here:

Pamela Anderson’s new ad: Sexist or Sexy?

The Sexual Politics of No Meat.

I’d love to hear feedback from the “enlightened” and “conscious” community Ele serves.

An earlier version of this post appeared at Feminist Fatale.

About Melanie Klein

Melanie Klein, M.A., is a writer, speaker and professor of Sociology and Women's Studies at Santa Monica College. She is a contributing author in 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics and Practice and is featured in Conversations with Modern Yogis. She is the co-editor of Yoga and Body Image: 25 Personal Stories About Beauty, Bravery + Loving Your Body, and co-founder of the Yoga and Body Image Coalition.

Comments

64 Responses to “Sexist Meat Market.”

1. Colin Wiseman says:

Maybe because PETA are trying to make a point, while American apparel are objectifying skinny almost underage women to sell overly expensive, pretty plain n crap pieces of clothes?

I have to say I also don't find this ad a problem. They have taken two world wide iconic images – the sexy bikini clad female and the butcher's cut poster – in the hope that the ordinary male of the world will first notice the girl, to get them to start reading the poster. If they read the poster beyond looking at the blonde hair and big boobs, they might pick up on the real message.

So yes it could be classed as wrong, using a scantily clad women, but please remember if they don't use something controversial, and stick with something that will not offend anyone, the poster will not be noticed.

Q. Who will notice a picture of a woman fully dressed sitting next to a pig with a speech bubble that say "you don't need to eat this pig. Have a carrot instead…"

A. No one.

2. Rebecca says:

I'm not offended by this ad in any way, except perhaps the understanding that a man would probably not be willing to pose in the same way. Pam Anderson is old news, and PETA's tactics are a bit on the ridiculous side, as they've always been. They raise "awareness" by inciting discord, just like this conversation. It's what being a fanatic is all about.

3. Alan Haffa says:

I don't eat meat for ethical reasons but even I find PETA over the top sometimes. In this case, they use a woman who has made a career by commercializing her body as a sexual object and use her/it as a way to raise awareness about vegetarianism? It makes no sense and stunts like this give those of us who support animal rights and who are vegetarians a bad reputation with mainstream America.

4. wendy brown says:

a sexist thought that may come to mind is, 'good enough to eat', in looking at pamela displayed in a 'delicious' manner.
    what is sets her apart from the victimization of the meat industry?
    this ad is spoof-like.
    ~wendy

5. […] Anderson, PETA evangelist, just brought her animal-loving, meat market message to Israel. Click here for […]

6. Vicki Smart says:

As a vegan and a woman I dont see the problem? seriously? If Pam wishes to spread the word and stand up for what she believes in who gives a crap if she is in a bikini or not? It brings the issue to public attention and that isnt a bad thing.

Do I feel offended? No. What offends me is the wave of bulls*it which floods PETA's way as they try and do what they do best which is be a voice for animals worldwide. If it makes you uncomfortable then look away, but the creatures at the centre of this dont get a choice to look or not look.

There are bigger issues afoot people, get out of your own asses. and Ben I totally agree that most people who baulk may in fact be projecting. Just saying.

7. Katherine says:

Who cares… sex sells… so what. They're working the system as it currently exists to get their point across. You'll only be offended if you choose to be. I choose not to.

8. isushman says:

I'm curious to know what those who criticize PETA think about the recent phenomena of the "slutwalk". This seems to be a much more controversial issue – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk – I think in both cases, it's a question of "Do the ends justify the means?"

9. […] For More: PETA sexist. […]

10. manda says:

At the end of the day WE ARE ALL ANIMALS! You don’t see any one petitioning a lion to go eat grass & trees instead of zebra. I’m all for ethical treatment of animals, but I think to rule out eating them all together just isn’t viable for everyone. There are people with medical conditions who NEED to eat meat as their body simply doesn’t absorb enough from the non-meat sources & they are unable to take supplements as they are allergic to or have an intolerance to ingredients in the supplements. I tried vegetarian when I was about 12, I’m lucky if I lasted a month. Some people are just wired to eat meat. I eat a LOT less meat than I used to, but I still eat meat. Just because I stop doesn’t mean they’re going to kill one less cow/sheep/etc. per week/month/year. That meat will still be available & may just turn into senseless waste. If its already been chopped up Im going to consume it at some point, however I’m going to eat that meat with respect & know that some poor animal has died for me to eat that tasty piece of meat. I’m getting nutrition & sustenance from its flesh & I will enjoy eating it because how can I respect it if I don’t enjoy it. I’ve eaten steak that I swear tasted like it was raised on hugs & love. You can truly taste a well treated life when you eat meat. If you want to make a positive change eat free range as often as you can & respect the fact that that slab of flesh you’re about to devour was not so long ago a living breathing creature. I’ve often thought about going vegetarian, but I just don’t think I can live as a complete vegetarian. I do limit the meat I eat. I understand that this may upset or offend some people & I apologise if it does, it’s really not my intention. I just thought I’d try to get across some points, I’ve probably hidden them in amongst a large amount of babble, but my point remains that we are all part of the animal kingdom, some are just better animals than others!

11. @maymay1980 says:

I never thought of these two groups like this but you're absolutely correct! Women are treated and viewed like animals. PETA is just proving this point.

12. @maymay1980 says:

My thoughts exactly Rachel! It seems like the ones that don't understand the objectification of women in this ad needs to do some research and read more about how feminism is not about women's rights; it's about human rights. Equal rights for all.

Frederick Douglass once said that he'd rather be a black man than a white woman. Almost 120 years after his death, I know that most men would feel the same way. Even the ones that happen to like and sleep with other men.

13. noble hobbit says:

wow. interesting how many elephant readers are upset with this add, and yet the majority of comments left for the playboy yoga video are wildly in support of it. so if Pamela had posed in downward dog, would this have been spiritual and not offensive..?