Yogi is free like a happy tree!

Via Brooks Hall
on Dec 5, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

I like to think of myself as a tree.

As a tree I am connected to the essential elements of existence. Through the roots I connect down deep into the earth, and through leaves I take in the sun’s energy. I flourish as a tree. As a tree I turn inward to experience my internal flow. Water and nutrients come up through me (I feel this), and sunrays descend and bless me. I feel warmth coming in. Internal sensations are important to me as a tree. There’s not much movement to distract me from deeply perceiving myself. People may come and hang around for a while, but then they’ll be gone. And birds may raise their young and enjoy my branches, but they, too move on… I know that what truly sustains me is my relationship with the basics: earth, sun, rain, air, and spirit—or whatever sense of myself I have.

This is why it’s good to develop a sense of ones self. Otherwise we are always measuring ourselves by our current friends, and others around us.

Going inward might offer the perspective of the tree. A person might see the impermanent nature of relationships with individuals, and see the value of our beautiful earth, sun, water, air, and have a fuller sense of the intangible yet knowable essence of “I”.

* yogi ponderings compliments of Yogic Muse *

587 views

About Brooks Hall

Brooks Hall is a Yogic Muse from Chicago, Illinois. In this capacity she teaches Yoga, writes about Yoga, and generally enjoys it. You can find her at: brookshall.blogspot.com.

Comments

9 Responses to “Yogi is free like a happy tree!”

1. Michelle says:

Great visualization and metaphor. Trees are the best! I often wish I was a tree. Thank you for sharing this. Namaste, Michelle

2. Yogi Mat says:

Hmmm – I suspect that here lies uncovered a reminder of the incorrigible trait of the self, the hitherto underestimated will to sidestep our potential for greater understanding, and it is this: with the ease of the imagination we ignore the obvious alternative to the tree, namely – what is it like to practice as a human being. This first requires the "good" which as stated is "to develop a sense of ones self" (relatively). The next step would be to deconstruct the very imaginings of the tree, and the imaginings of those imaginings which is the self. The self – itself is then the absolute imaginer, the imagined and the imaginary.

3. Brooks Hall says:

Yogi Mat: I don’t know about you, but I practice as a human being every day! And aside from mind-blowing experiences of wonder, awe and bliss-to-boot, I live in a relative world. To me, it’s valuable to find a center in myself in this world—using imagination and metaphor can be helpful in this regard. It’s also okay to make your inquiry more abstract; it sounds like you prefer that.

There are just so many places to bite a cookie! It sounds like you see that I chose to bite differently than you might have on a given day. I’m not convinced of the “incorrigible trait” (as you wrote). I think that there’s a time and place for everything. Your perspective is fine, too.

4. HI, Brooks. I love tree pose, too. But mine doesn't look like yours.

I guess it's time for me to get back to class and relearn the proper form!

Bob W.

5. Brooks_Hall says:

I think it's okay to be your own tree, Bob…

6. Brooks_Hall says:

Thanks, Michelle!

7. I'm a pretty good mimic. I'll just copy your impeccable form in the picture above!

Bob W.

8. Brooks Hall says:

I think you’re being funny, Bob, but this post isn’t about teaching “tree pose”…

9. I know, Brooks. I just couldn't help myself. I loved your blog and it's message.