Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?

Via Ben Ralston
on Nov 25, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Editor’s note: given the controversial and personal nature of this post, it seems necessary to remind readers that we do not and can not endorse views or opinions of our many writers as representative of elephant as a whole. Generally, we do not support “advertorial” (which this article has been accused of being—whether or not it is in in the eye of each reader)—but in any case given the valuable discussion below, that has managed to be mostly respectful and helpful, I thank Ben for putting himself out there. Comments that are critical or positive are equally welcome; personal or disrespectful comments will be deleted. ~ Waylon Lewis, ed.

Profound healing.

Last night I gave a presentation near Ljubljana.

Nataša came.

I barely recognized her, but as soon as she said her name I knew which Nataša it was.

I’d met her 18 months ago, just the once. She came to me for a single healing session. The email she sent me afterwards has been on my website as a testimonial ever since.

She’d been suffering from depression and (to put it mildly) ‘dark thoughts’ for most of her life.

Despite seeking help from multiple doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and healers, nothing and no one had been able to help her.

When she came to me she had also been having serious problems with her thyroid and was due surgery to have it removed. That was actually the catalyst that led her to me.

The result of that single session:

total transformation

No more depression, and no need for surgery – normal thyroid function.

The email she sent me after the session said this:

“My son never wanted to cuddle me before… now he’s constantly cuddling up next to me, and the light in his eyes when he looks at me says it all.

Thank you.”

18 months later her thyroid is still fine, and she is still free of depression.

One. Single. Session.

Sometimes people accuse me of narcissistic self-promotion, self-aggrandizement, and writing that reads like advertising.

I get that, really I do. Everywhere we look people are trying to sell us something.

And as the son of an advertising executive I’m particularly sensitive to it – the very, very last thing I want to do is come across like that, believe me!

But the thing is, it’s just not about me.

It’s about this wonderful, miraculous therapy: profound healing that actually works (on the causal level), permanently.

Your essence is pure, perfect consciousness. As such you are divine. Yoga calls this Satchitananda (pure being, consciousness, and bliss).

This is why it is easy and fast to heal almost anything. We are meant to be healthy and happy. It is our birthright. And whatever is blocking our experience of that perfection is easy to let go of, because it’s not really who we are.

In love,

Ben

For another (short video) demonstration of what is possible in just one session, see my blog Grounded Spirituality, here.

Please share this information as widely as you can. Help to change the world outside, one person at a time,  from within.

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

Comments

125 Responses to “Depression & thyroid function transformed. But what about 18 months later?”

1. Ben_Ralston says:

Nice comment Alli, but actually I do have a choice. I don't have to defend myself, as you'll see from many of the most negative and reactionary comments above – I choose just to ignore them, because they're not worthy of my time.

I chose to enter into a debate with Julian, and to an extent Mike, but when it became clear that they were only interested in branding everything I said as 'magical thinking', (whilst simultaneously accusing me of not listening to them!!) then I also chose to opt out of that one too. And I let them have the last word, which seemed to be important to them.

There is so much ego at play here. And often the people who call themselves 'yogis', and who work in the world of healing, are the most egotistical. It's a dangerous trap – you stand in front of people and are immediately in a position of power. Dangerous because, it's not your power. It's the power of the person standing in front of you, and you are stealing it from them.

My work is about the opposite though: empowering others. I don't see other people as vulnerable, I see them as pure potential. And I see my work as simply allowing that potential to burst forth, by releasing the subconscious blockages caused by trauma. It's a very beautiful, fulfilling, and enlightening work, and that's my only motivation really. And that's part of what's alive inside of me.

Thanks for asking interesting questions 😉

2. Philly says:

I'm glad you explained all that because I always thought EJ has some of the worse writing out there. Glad you are not deluded that this is journalism.

3. Barb says:

Not fear Pricilla. but rather skeptical of claims that can't be backed up. Just calling Ben on his dope.

4. Peter says:

Fake therapies like RPT crop up every couple of years until they are closed down by lack of business when people realize what a bunch of BS is involved or forced to by authorities. What is bad is that it preys on people who are in danger and distracts them from getting proven treatment. I wonder how long before we get a Scientologist infomercial such as this

5. Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you Tamara.

6. Not a "groupie" of either…just wanted to add to/revise my comment and it wouldn't let me edit since it had been commented on. I write for elephant, and often love what Ben Ralston has to say.

7. yogijulian says:

the next level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOoqP6zCYI stop and think.

8. […] ago I and several other EJ contributors were concerned about an article in which it seemed like Ben Ralston was claiming to be able to cure serious medical conditions (in this case a severe long term thyroid imbalance and depression) with a therapy he has learned […]

9. Ben_Ralston says:

No, you stop and think:

that video has nothing whatsoever to do with what I do. Nothing. RPT has and requires no religious affiliation, it is not spiritual healing, it is not energy healing, it has nothing to do with belief work, or Theta brainwaves, or past lives.

By leaving that video on my post, and insinuating that there IS a connection, you are hoping to achieve what exactly Julian?

You say above that my work is irresponsible and 'unethical'. I am not the one spreading false propaganda about a method I know nothing about whilst simultaneously attempting to sabotage another fellow writers work!

Really, I am shocked and saddened by your behavior in this. You call yourself a Yogi and a Yoga teacher, but clearly you do not embody even the first 2 precepts Satya and Ahimsa. I could tell you a thing or two about responsibility, and ethics, and lineage, and respect, but I won't waste my time (and unlike you, when I say it, I mean it).

10. Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Kate,
    I understand your and other people's perspective that you would like more information about the technique. But the truth is I was just very excited to be able to share some very solid evidence with people that the results of this technique are not only powerful, but lasting.
    And I was actually wanting so share my joy at having seen this woman again, and knowing that my work had achieved something that for me is miraculous. So I figures to keep it short and sweet, and if people want to know details, they're there in other places and other pages.
    I've also been accused of using superlative, hyperbolic language – like the word 'miraculous'. But truth is, I don't think it's hyperbolic. What else can you call the above story? It's wonderful to me, and that's why I want to share it. I think the client would agree with that word – so would her husband, who said he feels like he has a 'new wife', and so would her children, who now enjoy hugging her. So, I guess, would Tamara Kerner, who had a similar experience of healing and mentioned it in a comment above.
    As to the mindless personal attacks – i don't think they've been going back and forth. Just one way.

11. I get that Ben…and because I am familiar with your writing & have gotten to "know" you a bit, my initial reaction was that you were genuinely excited and wanted as many people as possible to benefit from something you have seen help many people. I guess because this isn't just a site on RPT and alt health, it would have been nice to have more background for anyone who was reading about this for the first time.

All the best,
    Kate

12. While I have never had treatments with Ben, I have been treating my Hashimoto's Thyroid (with nodules) with a combination of western (synthroid replacement) and holistic treatments: acupuncture, Reiki, nutritional therapy. I can tell you that while the synthroid has kept the thyroid at an even, balanced level (versus the hypo state I was in before), I've seen even more dramatic improvement since having alternative healing and changing my diet (cutting out gluten completely). I also know of several women who have completely turned around their thyroid dysfunction (nodules and all) by 100% holistic methods (predominantly diet). The thyroid dysfunction (and nodules) come as a result of our bodies being out of balance. With alternative healing therapies we can often put our bodies back into balance. Of course some therapies work better for some than others, which is why we all have to find the right balance for ourselves. As I've said I'm using a combination of western medicine and alternative healing, but my goal is to get my thyroid fully back into balance holistically so that I can wean myself off of the synthroid- as many of my friends have done, I can do this with the oversight of my western doctor who will test my blood and thyroid levels all along the way. The proof is in the pudding.

13. Becky says:

Barb, can you verify Ben's claims can't be backed up?

14. Yogatchr says:

Claims of emotional healing are one thing. You crossed the line when you got to the thyroid part though. This is dangerous and possibly even fraudulent. http://www.fda.gov/ucm/groups/fdagov-public/@fdag

I am not trying to say you are not a nice guy with lots of enthusiasm, I am saying there is a tremendous responsibility for burden of proof when it comes to healing claims and you really should proceed with the utmost caution for your own good and those you want to serve.

15. Mavin says:

That's exactly what I was thinking. If his thinking wasn't so twisted, defensive and evasive, I would at least grant him the placebo effect as this is well-documented in the literature. After reading his comments, I have to doubt the truth of his claims.

16. Ben_Ralston says:

2 things Chiara:
    Re: information about there on RPT – this makes no sense to me. I on my blog, and Simon Rose on the main RPT blog, have practically given away almost all of the whole technique. Technically, you could just study those blog posts and figure out the practice. So to say that you can't find out about it simply makes no sense to me. Have you read the RPT blog?

And about controlled experiments and so on.
    Several of our RPT practitioners are academics (we
    have a professor of biology, a PhD in biology/sociology etc) and we have
    talked to them about doing the necessary research, and basically it's a
    question of funding. So when we have the $1 million or so necessary to
    conduct epigenetic tests etc, we'll get back to you. Meanwhile, we are so
    busy actually helping real people every day, that academic questions like
    this are of no real meaning to us.

17. chiara_ghiron says:

Hi Ben
    I found the blog now, as well as trying to read more about Peak States. I guess 1) I need to get used to the fact that I will not find much of this stuff on the peer-reviewed journals I am used to from habits inmy previous life; 2) I will really need to spend a lot more time satisfying my damning jnani nature…. but I enjoy this. I was just hoping that you would give people like me, Kate, Jade, etc some reference material *not* based on your or the RPT websites, if you know what I mean!!
    But it is OK, as I said I am interested in learning more and I will dig my own info until I am satisfied.
    Thanks again
    chiara

18. Ben_Ralston says:

Thank you Carla. And yes, perception is very, very interesting isn't it?!

19. Ben_Ralston says:

RPT is recognized by various certifying bodies, for instance it's recognized for
    continuing education points; it's recognized by insurers in UK, Australia
    and elsewhere so that it is an insured therapy (by those that matter to us). However, in
    fairness, it is not recognized by the FDA or
    academia.

To be a 'recognized' non-drug
    based therapy in the United States the therapy needs to have gone through
    extensive study by a University where empirical data is collected and then
    the results are published for review and probably further study. Once
    empirical data presents that a therapy is effective then it 'recognized'.

Several of our RPT practitioners are academics (we have a professor of biology, a PhD in biology/sociology etc) and we have talked to them about doing the necessary research, and basically it's a question of funding. So when we have the $1 million or so necessary to conduct epigenetic tests etc, we'll get back to you. Meanwhile, we are so busy actually helping real people every day, that academic questions like this are of no real meaning to us.

20. william says:

I wonder did you mean "epistemic/epistemological" not "epigenetic"?
    That aside, I find the extent of the exchange very amusing, with each "side" in a strange state of both recognizing and failing to recognize the "crusades" that are being engaged in: you pushing your therapy and its fantastic claims and then pushing against those pushing against you, and those pushing against you with their anti-magical thinking crusade (I don't have enough ironic quotes for that phrase :)) offering nothing more than "I think you're wrong" and cries of "charlatan" (even in one case while keeping their own teaching behind a pay wall), and yet because of the fantastical claims their doubt is to my view (living in our world full of pills and promises), well grounded. Amusing all around.
    Perhaps instead of talking about the meaninglessness of academia (not quite your words, but that is how some will interpret them), put feelers out for funding, or perhaps start a fund for research, and encourage contributions.

21. Sarah Oakley says:

Friend Julian, a few words for you to consider from a fellow yogi. "Love thy neighbour as thyself".
    Consider that you may have created "your story" about Ben, and that this "story", this projection has frightened you and has seperated you from him. We are one and if we lack kindness to others we are hurting ourselves.
    Namaste.

22. michelle says:

Wow, Ben. I just watched your video interview about RPT. I find you refreshing because you are matter of fact and straightforward about who you are; you don't try to come across as some spectacular person with special powers and for the cool price of this many Euros you can acheive enlightenment. You are approachable and respectful; you come from a place on the same level as all of us as spiritual beings contributing to the same consciousness. Your healing is simply a sharing to help those actualize what we are all deserving of. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to attack you based on your enthusiasm for seeing someone experience healing because it seems to me they are experiencing some self limiting thinking. You haven't taken credit for curing someone of their thyroid disease; you are merely pointing out that miraculously enough this person did experience a complete turn around in their health. I believe in miracles and if others would be open to this possibility they might see some miracles too. I would love to meet you and your wife one day, I hope to attend one of your retreats in the future! Cheers, M

23. Ben_Ralston says:

Thanks Michelle, that's a lovely, compassionate comment, and I hope to meet you to one day!
    With love