Louis CK: “Girls” vs. “Women.”

Via Kate Bartolotta
on Feb 19, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Do you generally use the word “girl” or “woman” to describe an adult female?

Is the distinction important to you? I know the feminist consensus is something like “everyone over age 12 should be referred to as a woman.” I tend to say girl most of the time if I’m talking about myself or close friends. I was 12 a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Still, sometimes I feel like “woman” just sounds so mature and serious. Lady…hmmm. Maybe. Depends on whether it’s used as “She’s such a lady,” or “Listen here, lady!” Chick. Babe. Dame. Broad. Lots-of-other-nice-and-not-so-nice-words. I turn 36 next month. I think it’s time to graduate to “woman.”

Especially after listening to Louis CK on the subject:

{NSFW language}

Relephant and super-fun:

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is a wellness cheerleader, yogini storyteller, and self-care maven. She also writes for Huffington Post, Yoga International, Mantra Yoga+ Health, a beauty full mind, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. Kate's books are now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com. She is passionate about helping people fall in love with their lives. You can connect with Kate on Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

11 Responses to “Louis CK: “Girls” vs. “Women.””

1. Andréa Balt says:

Thanks for making my morning, Kate.

I'm a girl who sometimes gets too tired of being a woman and wishes to be a girl again but not if this means she can't be a woman the next second. What I am sure about is that I would totally (you know) Luis CK for making me laugh so hard.

(Happy early b-day! Please don't fully update to Woman. Stay a girl a little longer.)

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new elephant culture homepage.

Andréa Balt, editor elephant culture.
    "Like" elephant culture on Facebook.
    Follow @MindfulCulture on Twitter.

2. Andréa Balt says:

Ok, I tried to comment but it looks like the Vs are abducting all my words. Not fair.

It said something like… thanks for making my morning… blahblah… I would "monologue" Luis CK any time… I'm a girl… no, I'm a woman…blah… I love Kate… oh look, a cat…

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new elephant culture homepage.

Andréa Balt, editor elephant culture.
    "Like" elephant culture on Facebook.
    Follow @MindfulCulture on Twitter.

3. Andréa Balt says:

Oh and happy early b-day. You're still too young to graduate.

4. Thanks, love! I enjoy being a girl…with womanly moments when I want them.

5. wheredthatcomefrom says:

this was sadly offensive.. i was not expecting it to be so.. awful. I expected much more intelligence from a post from you, kate haha

6. Oh! Sorry you felt that way…I thought it was funny. But, included the NSFW disclaimer about the language, obviously.

7. wheredthatcomefrom says:

not so much the swearing.. just the way he talks about girls and women.. i was hoping for the funny, maybe even some truth, without the insulting manor in which regards both. 😉 haha

8. […] that’s all in the past, right? We are grown women living in the 21st century—free to choose what we want, whenever we want […]

9. inkkedlunae says:

I'd like a transcript. This is not accessible for everyone as I am Deaf, and no, the YouTube captioning isn't up to standards. It's basically nonsense.

10. susiebunnykins says:

Utter rubbish, The distinction between girls and women coming from a mans perspective is quite frankly offensive. As a woman you should never allow a man to define your parameters. This man is not funny, he's being sexist and condescending. I'm surprised you can't tell the difference.

11. EJ Reader says:

Most ironic comment I've seen in awhile.

He is funny, just not to you. He was standing on a stage, doing what he does for a living, making people laugh. He wasn't preaching to a crowd, talking about all the wrong things guys do to women, or trying to change the minds of mankind. He was telling observational jokes.

The irony comes from someone else telling others what to do. So, in your opinion, women should allow other women to define "your parameters?" Isn't this the exact opposite of the never ending outrage with health magazines, models, and hollywood industry of what women should be or look like? I say, you be you. Define yourself. Also, leave comedy to the professionals.

Finally, my favorite line. "This man is not funny, he's being sexist and condescending. I'm surprised you can't tell the difference." I dunno, condescend much yourself?

Kate was trying to share something she found insightful and/or funny. Instead, you wanted her to censor herself to what, your standards? How could she possibly do that? Perhaps a better approach might be to support her desire to explore outside the realm of the usual EJ articles and see what works. Sure, feedback is always helpful and you could let her know it might not be along the lines that you're used to. That would be understandable. But to tear someone down is just plain ol' rude, unnecessary, and unproductive.

All the best.