The Equinox Yoga Video, narrated by Briohny Smyth.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 0.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
13.4k

In the Studio: Briohny Smyth.

She’s no mere “model.” She’s a teacher.

“No matter the length of your practice, try to close with savasana or seated meditation. You might use this time to set an intention for the rest of your day, recite a mantra, or even affirmations that inspire you.

Ultimately…searching…for a quiet mind.”

Now, the world’s biggest yoga video is a learning opportunity.

The Equinox instructor (and internet sensation) narrates her personal body-bending, back-opening flow.

q.equinox.com/articles/2012/02/in-the-studio-briohny-smyth

The original: 2.5 million views in one month. And, counting:

Bonus handstand help via Briohny:

The parody, by our new friend Stusser (complete with tattoo):

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 0.0
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
13.4k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of Elephant Journal & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat.” Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword’s Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by “Greatist”, Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: “the mindful life” beyond the choir & to all those who didn’t know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, touches on modern relationships from a Buddhist point of view. His dream of 9 years, the Elephant “Ecosystem” will find a way to pay 1,000s of writers a month, helping reverse the tide of low-quality, unpaid writing & reading for free online.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Nov 4, 2012 4:57pm

[…] get me wrong, I liked the idea of it—the way those who made time for the practice became long and lean. Or, how the yogis I came into contact with had a peacefulness about […]

anonymous Jul 11, 2012 11:42pm

[…] Briohny herself sent us heads up on this video of her other half, Dice Iida-Klein, doing yoga with a paddleboard, and the ocean, in place of a yoga mat, and the steady earth. […]

anonymous Mar 21, 2012 4:04pm

[…] Equinox video that was brought to my attention by an article in The Elephant Journal article here.     As stated in the article, “…the world’s biggest yoga video is a […]

anonymous Mar 1, 2012 6:13pm

[…] Let’s face it, it’s hard to celebrate others for being comfortable in their own skin, like Briohny Smyth (in her underwear-clad video that went viral) or Kathryn Budig (in her nude toesox ads), when […]

anonymous Mar 1, 2012 8:39am

[…] is still quite a bit of backlash from Equinox’s viral video of Briohny Smith’s beautiful yoga practice. With that said, how are we supposed to spread the love of yoga to new […]

anonymous Feb 25, 2012 11:59pm

[…] > The Second, new video, which we broke when it was at 30 views, or so: […]

anonymous Feb 18, 2012 1:36am

Ok, now thats just undermining people's intellegence, and the AD didn't piss me off the 1st time, but that did! u got paid to sell sex. "And now I open my legs and stimulate my clitoris to ensure proper lubrication of the cavity", still sex, lol!

anonymous Feb 18, 2012 1:08am

beautiful and impressive strength and stretching. yoga this is not. saying "reconnect with my breath" and "yoga is about X" sounds good but doesn't make it yoga. as for showing off in her underwear, all young women should if they can. the perfect body doesn't last, even if we assiduously practice yoga 🙂 so visual proof later is lovely to have. she's a gymnast; very fun to watch.

anonymous Jan 13, 2013 7:58pm

I'm curious to learn why u feel this is 'not' yoga – but merely gymnastics. What's the difference (as it relates to Briohny's video)? It's clear she is a certified yoga teacher – so she knows yoga. The postures are clearly yoga postures. Her mind, body & breath are very connected as she gracefully flows from one pose to the next. She ends her routine in meditation. It looks like yoga to me. What am i mising? Please enlighten me. Thank U.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 8:03pm

why wearing lingerie. ……again

anonymous Feb 17, 2012 11:25pm

Seems like a sporta bra. The idea is morning yoga, methinks. But you're saying "why sexy"? Doesn't seem overtly sexual to me, and most of my pals feel same way. But each to her own!

anonymous Feb 18, 2012 5:59am

hmmmm guess you think I just don't" GET" it right…it's "morning yoga" and a "sports bra"………..paleeezzzzzzz

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 3:58pm

Great exercise routine, but for a morning routine I recommend joint mobility exercises (pavanmuktasana) followed by 6 rounds surya namaskara, or similar, combined with many chair pose to forward folding movements, to bring fluidity and mobility to the lower back and legs, which will be very stiff and inflexible in the morning. After about half and hour of warming the body, if you are not already sore, then you will be ready for handstands. But you should know this from experience of waking up at 6 a.m. (or earlier).

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 5:00pm

Thanks, Jason! You should write a blog about morning yoga for ele, if so inspired, would be great to share. write at elephantjournal.com if you're interested. ~ Waylon.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 8:25am

Whatever. Equinox? No doubt she is gorgeous and uber fit, but to me it seemed like an acrobatic routine. Don't get me wrong, acrobats are amazing. I like acrobats.The parody was far more authentic, in my opinion.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 10:20am

You better believe it!

But aesthetic snobbery prohibits the two of them doing an Acro routine together …

Nuff said.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 11:51am

Actually, they're buddies.

anonymous Jan 13, 2013 8:03pm

What was missing from Briohny's routine that makes it 'not' yoga – but acrobatics? How could her routine be 'more' authentic from your perspective? Thank U.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 7:42am

She's so stunning and inspiring. "The original: 2.5 million views in one month. And, counting"…I'm sure that nearly a million of those were me.

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 7:14am

Beautiful model im going to try to incorporate the headstand and more back bends in my routine now thanks for the inspiration!

anonymous Feb 16, 2012 3:01am

Amazing!!

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

anonymous Feb 15, 2012 11:45pm

I want to hear the narration from the sleeping guy.

Kate Bartolotta Feb 15, 2012 11:16pm

I agree–what a phenomenally strong, amazing yogini!

anonymous Feb 15, 2012 11:07pm

She's so unbelievable, it's amazing!

anonymous Feb 18, 2012 3:06pm

&&& to the "why wearing lingerie…again" comment – they shot three different videos in the same day but chose the most popular video of arm balances to put on the Equinox website. This is just another of the three videos.