“You can hate PETA, but this is f**king bullshit.”

Via Waylon Lewis
on Mar 17, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Does this still go on?

Okay, Alec, you got me. The best video I’ve ever seen on this subject.

With thanks for the heads up to Reddit.

“Break its spirit.”

Alec Baldwin: Boycott Circuses That Use Animals

Actor and animal defender Alec Baldwin describes the sad plight of elephants who are torn from their families and forced to perform grueling tricks in the circus.

About Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of elephant magazine, now elephantjournal.com & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat." Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword's Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by "Greatist", Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: "the mindful life" beyond the choir & to all those who didn't know they gave a care. elephantjournal.com | His first book, Things I would like to do with You, is now available.

Comments

82 Responses to ““You can hate PETA, but this is f**king bullshit.””

1. Guest says:

hm, aren't the people exposing the abuse americans? do you hate them too? or, gee, perhaps this would NEVER happen in other countries – I bet the poachers in africa treat their elephants better. think before you make stupid statements.

2. Racquelle says:

FAIL "The independent Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force alleged that the Trump sons had killed an elephant, endangered leopard, a buffalo, a crocodile and other “big game” animals on a 2011 trip arranged by a South African Safari firm not registered in Zimbabwe." What 'local custom' were they participating in? The were on a guided hunt arranged by a South African safari firm; they paid big bucks to kill certain animals. Zimbabwe Conservation officials have disputed that fact that meet was given to 'local villages' and are in fact investigating them as, 'There are no villages in the northwestern Matetsi district of Zimbabwe where they hunted.'

3. Racquelle says:

Thank you Rose; I'm Canadian and I did not know that, such good news. That is across the board, all provinces?
    I agree with Colleen, Ringling should be charged with animal abuse and stripped of the right to use all animals…

4. Jess says:

PETA sucks. This particular point is a good one, but other than that, they're the animal version of the KKK.

5. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Hell yeah, Alec. Hell yeah.

6. eva says:

What a lack of consciousness! I hope everyone sees this video, and I'll certainly never go to a circus that uses animals!

7. Jonathan David Kane says:

Hi Waylon. A friend posted this link on my wall. Thank you for sharing this very important issue. Please see the film How I Became an Elephant. It deals with this issue and the international trade of elephants in Asia. Very informative. http://howibecameanelephant.com/

8. GreenThumb says:

Here are some FACTS for you. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03

9. Dee says:

Remember also the torture of TN. walking horses and how they are trained for that unnatural gait.

10. Heather says:

Thank, thank you for posting this…That is why Dasara and many of the other festivals in India are also problematic. However, from what I understand the trainers who travel long distances and sleep in unfavorable conditions are also suffering. Not that this makes up for it at all……I have a problem with attending these festivals which are traditional and cultural but still have unwarranted animal cruelty connected to them.

11. ann says:

not to mention the fact that PETA misses the "humane" stuff when it comes to actual humans…i've been vegan for 15 years and vegetarian for 20, and it's not because i don't like bacon. but PETA's incessant use of women's bodies as tools makes me sick. you don't teach love for animals by hating your own species, in my humble opinion. and as if the 'rather go naked' ads weren't enough, they've managed to add battered women to their repertoire: http://www.care2.com/causes/petas-new-ad-campaign…. but i think the bottom line is that they alienate people. and you can't bring people to your side if you make like this is an us vs. them issue. but this video was excellent, as have been many i've seen that they've made. nothing is all bad or all good, and i don't hate PETA – just wish they did business a bit differently.

12. NO I can boycott what they sell and hope their heart expands and they join the fight to stop abuse.

13. Tracy says:

It's ironic that I've always been the activist, but my laid-back hubby is the one who had to tell me about this as I had no idea! I vividly remember my trip to the circus as a little girl, but I'm proud to say that I've never gone since, nor have our children and they know why. We don't go to Sea World anymore either. I'll keep spreading the word and hope that others will boycott for these reasons as well.

14. Justamused says:

Have you ever seen the training that these "people" go through their entire lives, from their birth to their crippled death, to "perform in Cirque De Soliel? PBS had a special on about the Chinese circus. Brutal training!!!! Watch it and maybe you'll be enlitghened.

15. […] congratulations to Alec Baldwin from the Yogi Muse. May you both find happiness as you embark on your journey down a long and […]

16. Joni Elle says:

You know, stopping them from this abuse is the issue. wishing cancer and death to people is NOT! I understand this hurts our humanity, and all the poor defenseless animals who endure these conditions because so many look the other way in this world…. and make money instead of doing something else that really would make people happy like building homes for the struggling and the homeless, and taking proper care of all animals like rescuing them, creating a habitat for them to get strong and charging fees to contribute to the health and maintenance of all of these special creatures…. but let's not get to their level… not ever…. I have cancer and I don't know why… I wouldn't hurt a fly. And I don't like these people for what is going on, yet I wouldn't wish this on them, jail would be better, yes? For these are crimes! Sorry. Peace xo

17. Aes says:

Causes like these can be helped without supporting PETA. Anyone who has done proper research would likely lose favor of the organization. They spend the majority of their funding on advertising, and only a vast minority on any proactive action taken to help animals, and are also affiliated with a few domestic terrorist organizations, and are known to kill healthy, adoptable pets who are unlucky enough to end up in their custody. At the end of the day they are an animal rights organization, their ultimate goal is for animals to have the same rights as people and live freely among our societies. Pets wouldn't be allowed, neither would eating meat. It's a radical, extremist view riddled with duplicity. Animal rights and animal welfare are two different causes, peta draws some attention to animal welfare, but unlike animal welfare shelters and organizations, does little to actually ensure proper care is given to all animals in need. This is why they oppose no-kill shelters, support banning and mass-killing of dogs based on breed, and kill most animals who end up in their care. PETA is just as dangerous as this Circus to the welfare of animals, if not more.

18. karol says:

enlighten yourself, Cirque du Soleil hires mostly professional gymnasts and athletes…
    please learn the difference between chinese acrobats and cirque du soleil crew

19. margaret says:

Boycott the circus. Absolutely. But do not advocate violence upon the trainers in return. It is not the way to peace. The anger you feel toward them will not persuade them to stop. Anger is so easy to fall into, so tempting, but it won't get the message across. A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man. There must be a way to educate these people.

Thank you, Alec Baldwin, for being the voice of this message. We need more celebrities to endorse under recognized causes. That is how the message seems to get out. Thanks.

20. @omaxjo says:

The guy does Citibank commercials. Anybody? Anybody? Anybody think that a great portion of his protest is artifice?

21. MAURA says:

I AM ABSOLUTELY NEVER GOING TO THE CIRCUS

22. Brigitte says:

Powerful. Beyond words. I spent some time with elephants while I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Elephants are incredibly emotional and quite brilliant. I also witnessed the mother/baby bond first hand… it's truly magnificent and unbreakable.
    Elephants feel, love and laugh just like we do.

Thank you for sharing this. Heartbreaking, yet so important.

23. Stacie says:

Thank you EJ for posting this. I just shared it on http://www.facebook.com/sunlightyoga and on twitter: @sunlightyoga

24. Mary says:

I had no idea that this cruel training went on. I am sickened by it.

25. Denn says:

Any of you guys own cats, that is pretty tragic too.

26. 258cinnamongirl says:

Very eye-opening. I've heard that the circus life is a difficult one, yet people chose it. Animals, however, do not have a choice, and it is an infinitely more horrible existence. They have started giving elephant rides at a flea market I pass by. It broke my heart to see kids riding those poor magnificent creatures. There are so many other forms of entertainment that do not include animal cruelty. Help spread the word…

27. Jaydonone says:

I was so happy that the Hobbit was finally a movie…then I heard about all of the poor animals that they neglected and I refuse to ever watch it as long as I live. I read that book on a Greyhound going to Florida 42 years ago. The bood will be all I'll ever have to do with The Hobbit.

28. Heather Grimes says:

I feel like I'm going to vomit.

29. Clara says:

Not all circuses abuse their animals or tear babies from their mothers…you can't lump them all together like that. That's ignorance, plain and simple. Some do and that's shitty. They should be shut down, fined and never allowed to work with animals again. Jailed even. But stereotyping all of them as being that way is very close-minded. Not sure why we're listening to a Baldwin about this anyway.

30. Rebecca says:

I couldn't watch the entire video, it is heart breaking. I remember seeing the Shrine Circus as a child and they used elephants to perform. I cannot imagine ever supporting such an enterprise but even more so now after seeing this video. Thank you Alec and Peta.

31. JANETT VALE says:

This is sickening. How to stop the torture of these animals? I do not go to circuses but many still do go. We must all spread the word.