Here are some of the staggering statistics about water foregrounded at the Bid to Save the Earth auction:
- * The ocean is earth’s largest habitat. 72% of earth is covered by water.
- * 2.5 billion people lack access to proper sanitation.
- * An American’s 5 minute shower uses more water than a person in a developing country uses in 1 day.
- * The human body shares a similar percentage of water and ratio to salt as the ocean.
- * 50 percent of the oxygen we breathe comes from the earth’s oceans.
- * Only .007 percent of water is available for consumption.
- * 70 million sharks are killed per year, mainly for their fins.
- * Over one billion people depend on ocean fish for daily protein.
Ongoing donations of $10 by texting GREEN to 80888 offer another way to support these 4 NGOs in a Bid To Save the Earth.
As 2012 Earth Day approaches on April 22, the Bid to Save the Earth initiative serves as a reminder to create our own bids to pledge and support a vibrant blue and green planet.
Photos by Clemens Kois.
~ Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 4,334 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,068 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 11,352 shares How Each Zodiac Sign Prefers to Celebrate Valentine’s Day. 24 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 2,103 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 210 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,794 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 2,106 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 1,758 share How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 176 shares