Determine Your Ayurvedic Constitution. ~ Brian Leaf

Views 10
Shares 5.2
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
23.9k

Six quick questions that could change your health.

When I was in school for a degree in Ayurveda in the 1990s, I read a lot of ayurveda books. And I saw many questionnaires designed to help people determine their ayurvedic dosha or constitution. It seemed to me that every questionnaire was obsessed with things like the size and frequency of a person’s poops. While this is actually very useful information in ayurveda, I’ve found that the following six questions are even more effective both in nailing down a person’s vikrti (current constitution) and in determining recommendations for diet, exercise, and lifestyle to reduce stress, improve vitality, and achieve balance.

To determine your vikrti, or current ayurvedic constitution, answer the following six questions:

1. Under stress, I become __________.

A. scattered and anxious

B. focused and angry

C. stuck

2. When I’m hungry, I get __________.

A. scattered and anxious

B. angry

C. depressed

3. I hate to feel _________.

A. too cold

B. too hot

C. too wet and cold

4. My biggest psychological struggles involve __________.

A. anxiety

B. being judgmental, irritation, anger

C. feeling stuck

5. When I have digestive problems, they involve ___________.

A. intestinal gas and bloating

B. heartburn

C. slow digestion,   feeling stuck

6. When I get sick, I feel ___________.

A. Worried, fried, constipated.

B. Fevers, skin rashes, diarrhea.

C. Congested, stagnant, blocked up.

Now count the number of As, Bs, and C’s in your answers.

Mostly A’s indicate vata, mostly B’s pitta, and mostly C’s kapha. This is your vikrti or current ayurvedic constitution.

Vata is the energy of air; pitta is the energy of fire; and kapha is the energy or water and earth.

So a person with a constitution dominant in the vata dosha will often have airy qualities (creative, quick, possibly anxious and flatulent); a person with a constitution dominant in pitta will often have fiery qualities (intense, focused, possibly critical); and a person with a constitution dominant in kapha will often have earthy qualities (steadfast, grounded, possibly stuck).

In the next part of this article, we’ll discuss recommendations for each constitution. Stay tuned!

Brian Leaf is the author of Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi, coming to bookstores in September, 2012. You can follow his adventures and misadventures on facebook.

Prepared by Aminda Courtwright/Editor: Tanya L. Markul

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 5.2
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
23.9k

Read The Best Articles of November
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

elephant journal

Elephant Journal is grassroots media. Dedicated to “bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society, we’re about anything that helps us to live a good life that’s also good for others, and our planet. >>>

Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>>

Elephant’s been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter’s Shorty Awards for #green content…twice. >>>

Get involved:
> Get our curated online magazine, free e-newsletter.
> Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook.
> Write: send article or query.
> Advertise.
> Become an Elephant:

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Nov 29, 2013 7:41am

Thanks a lot! very informative!

anonymous Nov 28, 2013 1:18pm

Well apparently I’m a tri dosha because I got 2 of each. Most of the other tests I’ve taken has been even on pitta and vata, so this is interesting.

anonymous Nov 17, 2013 7:31pm

What if I have 3 A's and 3 C's?

anonymous Nov 17, 2013 6:05am

Love this! Thanks!

anonymous Aug 17, 2012 2:01pm

[…] practitioner to help you. If you cannot find one and you would like to have a general idea, you could take few Ayurvedic tests online. I can honestly tell you that you should take several of them and average the results out but keep […]

anonymous Jun 22, 2012 1:38am

[…] Determine Your Ayurvedic Constitution. ~ Brian Leaf (elephantjournal.com) […]

anonymous May 10, 2012 8:10pm

[…] science of Ayurveda, of which I am a student, separates people into three basic body types, Vata, Pitta and Kapha. While everyone has a bit of all three, most people have one type that is dominant. While I am not […]

anonymous Apr 28, 2012 9:39am

So what if you have 2 of each?

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 9:06pm

Vikruti=imbalance Prakruti=constitution

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 7:17am

Yes, vikruti (or vikrti) is the current constitution, the way a person is out of balance from their natural or birth constitution, called prakruti (or prakrti). The vikrti helps show us what needs to be balanced to achieve optimal wellbeing.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 8:51pm

"Expedient and convenient", that's become the American mantra for life. It is not the core of a Yogic life or Ayurvedic principles. Questionnaires are good tickling gimmicks for amateurs, but not sufficiently comprehensive for meaningful application or transformation. Ayurveda is a deeper study of mind, body, chemistry, physiology, psychology, and a person's total makeup. Good yoga and Ayurveda practices align spirit, actions, meditation, soul, peace, and harmony. These books and questionnaires must be seen as small markers or entertainment stops on a journey that's powered by self and affixes good karma in life. They cannot possibly encapsulate the wisdom attained by lifetimes of yogis and repackage in snippets. Read to be inspired to do more on your own. Take the questionnaire, but be mindful of what it is. Your life is worthy of more than "expedient and convenient" discourses. Honor yourself and seek your own light.

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 7:12am

Thanks, Rajeev. A bit intense, I'd say, but very well put.

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 2:58pm

Thank you, Brian. I, too, have devised a simplified, more relevant to our modern world questionnaire, so I was curious to see yours. Curious to see what we each see in the science and in each other. In you, I see greatness, and a compassionate heart. Namaste!

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 5:10pm

Thank you very much, Laura. Can you post your survey as well? I'd love to see it.

anonymous Apr 22, 2012 9:12am

[…] my previous column Determine Your Ayurvedic Constitution, I gave you six questions to determine your vikrti or current […]

anonymous Apr 19, 2012 8:22am

Affirmed another test i took! 🙂

anonymous Apr 26, 2012 5:11pm

Cool. Which survey?

anonymous Apr 27, 2012 5:44am

I dont remember the name of it, but i had taken it a few months ago as part of my yoga teacher training. 🙂

anonymous Apr 19, 2012 7:44am

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new Elephant Food Homepage.

Also posted to Elephant Food on Facebook and Twitter.

Lorin Arnold
Blogger at The VeganAsana
Please "like" Elephant Food on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

anonymous Apr 19, 2012 8:02am

Thanks, Lorin! Love the new page!

anonymous Apr 19, 2012 7:42am

Posted to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor