“But mommy, why can’t I fly my kite today?”
“Because they don’t want you to have happy memories, dear!” mom looks up at camera, a single tear rolling down her cheek. Fade to black with the sound of hundreds of children crying.
Is this what you want for your future, America?
Breaking, via Alternet:
“Conservative Think-tanks Launch Campaign to Turn Americans Against Wind Energy: Documents show for the first time that local anti-wind groups are co-ordinating and working with national fossil-fuel funded advocacy groups to wreck the wind industry.“
10 Main Reasons Wind Power Sucks:
1. Only downside to wind power is it doesn’t work if there’s no wind.
2. That and sometimes birds get killed.
3. Oh! And the big downside is that it’s inexpensive and may lower your energy bill, that’s a very negative downside.
4. Don’t forget the two biggest drawbacks: No operation waste and
5. unlimited energy supply as long as winds exist. (Our wind is running out! We need to find new energy sources! Drill baby drill!)
6. Wind Spills. Think of all the messed-up hairstyles and knocked-over umbrellas! Won’t somebody please think of the umbrellas?!?
7. Don’t forget to mention it’s slowing down the rotation of the earth!
8. Given the same kind of subsidies Big Oil gets (Exxon made record profits last year, We the People still gave Big Oil $10 Billion), wind would be a viable “arrow” in America’s domestic job-creating, clean, renewable energy independence “quiver.” And that’s not to mention “the massive f*cking negative externalitiescaused by mining and burning coal,” which if taken into account make wind far more attractive. Another note on subsidies: “Imagine nuclear power having to compete with other energy sources without gigantic government research, subsidies and investment. Things don’t come out of nothing.”
9. As for accidents (fatalities), when compared to digging coal, and drilling for oil, how do the numbers compare?
Energy Source Death Rate (deaths per TWh) Coal – world average 161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity) Coal – China 278 Coal – USA 15 Oil 36 (36% of world energy) Natural Gas 4 (21% of world energy) Biofuel/Biomass 12 Peat 12 Solar (rooftop) 0.44 (less than 0.1% of world energy) Wind 0.15 (less than 1% of world energy) Hydro 0.10 (europe death rate, 2.2% of world energy) Hydro - world including Banqiao) 1.4 (about 2500 TWh/yr and 171,000 Banqiao dead) Nuclear 0.04 (5.9% of world energy)
10. Personally, the biggest downside to wind power is the assassins the oil companies send after you.
Suggests for why Windpower just won’t cut it come via Reddit, mostly. Click over there for a robust, fact-based/funny argument re the merits of wind power.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 77,998 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 11,016 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 14,868 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,693 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 12,698 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 2,909 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,284 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,020 share What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 299 shares