I Ain’t Got No Home.

Via Joana Smith
on May 18, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzA_0fbeNh4&ob=av3n[/youtube]

Many of the nametags above were personally designed for Whole Foods employees in Houston, TX.

448 views

About Joana Smith

Who I'd like to meet: Superman's Children, eco-warriors, truck drivers, persephone, roller derby queens, nurses, scientists, givers, priests, yogi, storytellers, people who don't know right now, playwrights, philosophers, people who are more visual, people who hop trains, performers, poets, seamstresses, activists, Spider-Man, kids, rangers, Snow White, dj's, massage therapists, people who work with their hands, bunnies, sportsracers, people who work in offices, dancers, baristas, artists, cleaners, climbers, Jeff's sister, Colbert, Skiers, Bikers, skaters, surfers, ani, people who are recovering, trees (and flowers), people who will die soon, gardeners, horses, Jolie-Pitt, soon-to-be mothers, margie's daughter, astronomers, people who are scared, girls who wear black and listen to the Smiths, cuffmakers, lambs, Miranda July, the man in the moon, Bono, people from 'round here, Obama...

Comments

9 Responses to “I Ain’t Got No Home.”

1. Justin says:

I think that the thing with "community" is that all people deserve to be loved. As I've thought through and written about ideas of community among LDS — I've found that most people would like there to be an actual person somewhere they can sit down with and talk back-and-forth to/with and just be heard. They want to feel like other human-beings they associate with hear them and [perhaps] can counsel with them — or at least just get what they’re saying.

People are after a community in which they can be experienced by the other human-beings there too — and I guess you could call such a place a "home" and the members of that community your "kin" — it's all very tribal in nature and stirs me somewhere deep-down in my DNA.

The church-experience I've had appears to be an attempt to force that kind of feeling onto a group of people. Instead of seeing how that sort of feeling flows out from a group of people — as they lateralize and touch hands with the flesh-and-blood human beings around them [instead of trying to connect with the pixels and cuddle with the wires] — following our natural connections, like water flows out from its source.

Re: differences — personally I think of them as puzzle-pieces. The pieces that fit-together are the ones that are complementarily-opposite from each other. It's the different edges that help us become knit together.

I like the (s)word,

Heaven is a Problem"

too — but I've talked with you about that before — so perhaps if I leave it alone, someone else will come and comment on it.

Also, I'm left wondering what the solution to the equation you wrote:

life + time –>

would be…

2. Farah says:

SUPER LIKE!!! Love it so much!!!

3. JoanaSmith says:

JUSTIN!! life + time——-> some really AWESOME fruit!

thanx for playing….

4. thule says:

seeeeeew good! thanks for sharing your life today. 🙂 <3

5. shaydewey says:

Posted to elephant culture facebook page.

6. trapsas1 says:

Joana, as always I am in awe of your beautiful work, it is like nothing else out there! ~Tom Rapsas

7. Justin says:

Ahh — I see.

but if ye will nourish the word
    yea
    nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow
    by your faith
    with great diligence
    and with patience
    looking forward to the fruit thereof
    it shall take root
    and behold
    it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life

and because of your diligence
    and your faith
    and your patience with the word
    in nourishing it
    that it may take root in you
    behold
    by and by
    ye shall pluck the fruit thereof
    which is most precious
    which is sweet above all that is sweet
    and which is white above all that is white
    yea
    and pure above all that is pure
    and ye shall feast upon this fruit
    even until ye are filled
    that ye hunger not
    neither shall ye thirst

then
    my sisters and brothers
    ye shall reap the rewards of your faith
    and your diligence
    and patience
    and long-suffering
    waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you

Awesome in deed…

Also,

thanx for playing….

You're welcome — and thanks for the story.

8. Torsten says:

Your artistic expression of visual and written word is lovely…I'm intrigued with Justin's comment about the church "forcing" a certain community onto a group of people, but my experience leads me to want to replace the word "forcing" with the word "selling." Regardless, I don't have the desire to enter into dialogue here, but it was really nice to meet you (we met at the philosophy department's party).

9. tuttle says:

I don't know your husband — but if he wants you to "get rid of your mess", then he doesn't deserve as creative of a woman as you are. Lvoe.