Summer is here, and sometimes a day in the sun without sufficient protection leads to sunburn.
Try these natural remedies to cool and soothe your red and unhappy skin.
- 1. Aloe vera gel is probably the best natural option for cooling and hydrating damaged skin. It is considered to be an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial too. Aloe is available in pharmacies, drug aisles in stores, and at natural food and health stores. Fresher products are believed to work better. And the clear gel of an aloe plant works even better.
- Apply it liberally several times a day to treat over-exposed skin. It provides quick relief by making the skin feel cold. Aloe also works to speed the healing of small wounds.
- 2. Cold water and compresses help remove heat from inflamed skin. Take a cold shower or bath, or place cold-water compresses over burnt areas. Some ingredients you might consider adding to a compress are: witch hazel, an astringent that seems to have a long-lasting anti-inflammatory relief, or vinegar (white or cider) another astringent that helps to relieve pain (use a 50-50 mixture with water for a compress). Some people add baking soda to a cold bath, or a cup of vinegar.
NOTE: Always pat burnt skin dry instead of rubbing it. And use skin moisturizers on damaged areas.
- 3. Raid your fridge and cupboards. A quick internet search revealed a host of home cures, including:
- –Rosehip Seed Oil (antioxidant and rehydrating oil)
- –Green Tea (Apply it to your burns, drink it, and put the tea bags on hot eyelids.)
- –Honey (an antibacterial wound healer)
- –Fat-Free Milk
- 4. Stay hydrated. Keep your body functioning well by drinking even more water to replenish your dehydrated body and skin—and eat healthy.
Richard Kujawski is Managing Editor for LivingGreenMag, an online publication that informs and educates readers on a range of environmental and lifestyle issues, and highlights various non-profit causes. Visit www.LivingGreenMag.com.
Editor: Hayley Samuelson.
Like elephant Health & Wellness on Facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 254 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 86,198 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 11,162 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 15,024 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,693 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 3,309 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 13,080 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,231 share If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,304 shares This is what Happened when I Started taking French Baths. 1,804 share