As summer draws to an end, I find myself wanting to indulge in as many salads as possible!
I’ve been testing out my green thumb lately with a new little balcony garden, and so I was inspired to make a healthy, mayo-free version of an Asian slaw using some fresh picked jalapeños and cilantro straight from the source.
This salad lasts about three days if you keep it cool in the refrigerator and is an awesome side to fish or a delicious veggie burger. The ginger and fiber rich cabbage help you to feel more satiated and full while the lime and jalapeño add a fresh, spicy kick to keep your taste buds interested.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- lime zest
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBS low sodium soy sauce ( I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- optional: slightly unripe mango, green papaya
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and mango/green papaya and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, jalapeños, and honey; slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
Like elephant food on facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 2,287 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 9,780 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 12,404 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 21,472 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 3,233 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 222 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 3,808 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,137 shares A Cure for our Single Status. 514 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 91 shares