Just back from Man of Steel. A few observations.
For the video, click here.
1. Century Theatre pretty much ruined half the movie by having the ads and movie way too loud. Wasn’t just me–at least half our row and everyone we talked to on way out was as deaf as if we’d just spent the night in a club on Landsdowne.
2. Speaking of ads, there shouldn’t be ads. Previews are awesome. Ads are for TVs. I’m paying $10.75 or whatever to get in.
3. Cavill was an awesome Superman. Except he needed his red underwear and curly hair thing. But he was awesome. Look forward to the sequel.
4. Lois Lane was a bit…homely. Good actress, though. But…also, not bitchy enough. Lois is well known for being dominant, headstrong, funny, brilliant. This one was…nice.
5. Gorgeous film. Very Terrence Malick. A little more space, slowing down at moments, getting to know the nobility and sadness of Superman woulda be nice.
6. At the end there was way too much human loss of life. I feel like we’re inured to 9/11 x 1000 scenes. I don’t enjoy seeing skyscrapers fall or the Capitol explode (in preview for White House Down) or mass destruction of NYC in every other effing movie. Less is more–we feel the loss of life of one or two just as much as the CGI loss of 1,000s. Epic is epic only when it’s not overused, just as in a musical score. Edit: as mentioned in comments, Superman (and Batman) always managed not to kill. That was part of their moral leadership and fundamental character. And, as with the new, moral-lite Star Trek movies, that spirit of heroism is being lost.
7. Kids these days: my seat got kicked for half the effing movie, until I grabbed the punk behind me and flew off with him, dropping him into the dead quiet of black, cold, lifeless Space.
8. Overall, awesome.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 65,598 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,768 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 14,270 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,576 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 10,790 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,262 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 2,031 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 249 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 829 shares