In what will be a repeating theme in this space, we are going to explore the emerging realm of “beats with devotion.”
Alongside the enormous growth in the popularity of yoga asana, there is a concurrent musical movement. This sonic evolution generally incorporates sanskrit mantra and/or conscious lyrics over a foundation of danceable beats featuring the very best of world music traditions.
For the past 15 years or so, the primary innovator of this movement has been DJ Cheb i Sabbah. Leading the charge in his wake are artists like DJ Drez and Earthrise Soundsystem (consisting of DJ Derek Beres and multi-instrumentalist Duke Mushroom). Also featured below are the trio of DJ’s known collectively as Desert Dwellers, and the funkiest conscious hip-hop around from Srikala and Luminahdi.
Let’s have some FON!
The original—DJ Cheb i Sabbah—doin’ it live:
“Saints of Marrakesh”
Here are the Kirtaniyas featuring MC Yogi with DJ Drez. Tell me this doesn’t look like fun…
“Metaphysical Fitness” — Earthrise Soundsystem + Srikala + Luminahdi
“Enseralen Gojo” from the album Bole 2 Harlem, a spectacular album rich with diverse rhythms and influences, presented by Duke Mushroom:
And here, almost 2 full hours of Desert Dwellers live from Symbiosis 2012:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76xwfEdf5ME
Bonus: Wanderlust Tahoe offers and absurd level of fun. Here’s a glimpse of the High Camp Pool Party:
We’re still just getting started.
Check back soon for another episode of FON!
- WeFunk: innovative funk/hip-hop/soul radio show streaming from Montreal
- Pretty Lights: popular DJ with thriving, donation-based record label
- Polish Ambassador: 12 hrs of freely downloadable dance music (also donation-based; please support artists!)
- Soundcloud: Duh. Search for anything. Find everything.
- TerraSonic: our weekly magic carpet ride around the world of music. (Via KGNU Community Radio)
Like elephant culture on Facebook.
Ed: Bryonie Wise