Perfect soup for summer heat: Traditional Russian Raw Okroshka.
Okroshka is a perfect soup that Russians love to eat in the summer when it’s hot. The original recipe is not raw and not vegan but with some creativity I made it raw, vegan, absolutely guilt–free and delicious!
It’s a must try during summer heat.
The main ingredient in this soup is avocado. It should be ripe but not too soft.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 avocado, cut in big cubes
- 3-4 leaves of Chinese cabbage, leaves cut as desired and the core cut in cubes
- 3-4 leaves Iceberg lettuce, cut
- 2-3 medium cucumbers, half cut in cubes, half julienned
- 1-2 handfuls of rukkola, cut if it’s too big
- 2 handfuls of sorrel, cut in small pieces
- small bunch of green onions, cut
- 1 small red onion, cut in small pieces
- Small bunch of dill, cut
“Kvas” (700-800 ml):
- 3 glasses of almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 small radishes
Blend everything until smooth.
Cashew sour cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for a couple of hours)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small lemon, juiced
Place nuts in a food processor.
Add 1/4 cup cold water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice.
Puree for 3-4 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Put prepared vegetables in a big bowl
- Add Kvas· Add black pepper, as desired
- Add sea salt or pink salt, as desired
- Stir everything
- Pour into individual bowls
- Add cashew sour cream as desired
Enjoy amazing summer Russian Raw Okroshka—from Russia with Love!
Like elephant food on Facebook
Assist Ed: Julie Garcia / Ed: Catherine Monkman
[Photo: Saucy Salad on Flickr. ]