St. Patrick’s Day is here and that means green food, green garb and yes, lots and lots of green booze.
While many will partake in the Irish-themed festivities, there are ways to keep from partaking in the day after traditions of feeling ill.
I’ve compiled some of my easy and healthy tips to keep you from being green well into the days following St. Paddy’s Day!
What to do before your green-hued liquor binge:
- St. Paddy’s Day morning, start off with a healthy glass of green juice. If you are lucky enough to have a juicer, you know what to do to make a killer green drink. But if not, the next best thing is to guzzle a green beverage by Odwalla, Naked, Trader Joe’s or Bolthouse Farms. You will get a few of your daily servings of hearty veggies in one glass and boost your immune system for later, less healthy actions!
- Walk or ride your bike to your local Irish pub to save up some calories, gas and the environment, and to help save lives after to much green fun.
- If the bars are not in walking distance, designate a driver! Put your keys away and call a cab. Don’t press your luck!!
- Drinking plenty of water before going out and drinking plain water during the time that you are consuming alcohol. Be sure drink a full glass of water just before going to sleep that night.
- Have a dinner of starchy foods such as pasta or potatoes. Starchy foods slow down the alcohol absorption.
- Drink slowly (nurse your drinks). Less alcohol consumption equals less chance for a hangover.
Some things that can help you the morning after:
- Taking vitamin C will help to breakdown the alcohol faster in your body.
- As soon as you wake in the morning drink another full glass of water.
- Also, taking vitamin B complex capsules you will lessen the time that your hangover will last.
- You can make a hangover tea by crushing five to six thyme leaves and place them in a cup. Fill the cup with water and simmer over low heat for five minutes. Remove the leaves and drink the remaining liquid.
- Placing a cold pack to the forehead will give immediate relief from a headache.
- Consuming alcohol puts toxins into your body. You can help to drain these toxins from your body by taking a hot bath in the morning. When you drain the toxins you will experience less symptoms.
- Eat a banana for breakfast the morning after you have been drinking.
- Try a cup of Milk Thistle Tea with your meal as it will aid in your liver’s ability to process alcohol.
To replace electrolytes and rehydrate, make the following:
Homemade Gatorade Recipe
- 2 quarts filtered water
- 1/2 cup organic orange juice
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Mix all the ingredients together and serve chilled.
Also, have some Ginger Root Tea, bananas and saltines handy for upset tummies.
Here’s wishing you a happy, healthy and lucky St. Patrick’s Day!
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Editor: Renée Picard
Photos: elephant archives
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 77,998 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,940 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 14,868 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,693 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 12,698 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 2,909 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,284 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,020 share What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 294 shares