“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
It is said that happiness is fleeting, ephemeral. Joy, supposedly, is a deep inner state of being, of contentment, peace and more stuff like that. And then there is bliss. Who can describe bliss? Is any enlightened being willing to give it a shot?
I stick to happiness. How can we expect to get anywhere near joy, let alone bliss, if we are not even capable of finding and accepting happiness?
I have a list of five simple things that make me happy. Small steps to joy.
1. Observing my lover sleeping peacefully; he’s probably dreaming of catching the biggest fish of his life
2. Flowing through the Primary Series and making it to the ever so gratifying Savasana
3. Knowing I’ll be eating a raw herring with chopped raw onions upon my return to the Netherlands (a traditional Dutch delicacy, it’s good, really!)
4. Finding a colourful critter crawling at the bottom of the reef
5. Taking the two Duckies to a new place, framing them in another silly picture
Perhaps we should all have a list of little things that make us happy instead of attempting thousand miles in one step.
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!
Editor: Rachel Nussbaum
Photo: Fotopedia / Manuel Cazzaniga and courtesy of author
Read 1 comment and reply