How Meditation Makes your Food Taste Better.

get elephant's newsletter

Have you found yourself staring at the store shelves, or inside the refrigerator having no idea what to make for dinner?

Or standing in the messy kitchen, frustrated and glaring at the skillet with burned chicken?

Cooking can be pretty stressful!

One of my favorite tricks is to incorporate easy meditation routines into every meal preparation.

Why don’t you introduce this wonderful concept of focused attention into your cooking? After all, cooking is considered to be art by many. If you watch any cooking shows on TV, you can notice the chefs hyper focusing and being momentarily quiet during moments of chopping or measuring.

Meal preparation is a process of combining ingredients that would ultimately end up becoming fuel for your body’s cells. You should put positive energy into the dishes you prepare. So not only will the meal taste great, the whole process will become your way of showing respect to yourself and those whom you are cooking for.

Meditation during cooking will help you:

– To be present and centered. This means you will not skip a step in a recipe, or cut yourself.

– Get rid of any potential anxiety some have about trying new things. Some ingredients or cooking methods can be intimidating!

– Bring overall feeling of joy not only to the preparation of food, but to the consumption as well.

So how exactly can you incorporate meditation into your cooking?

1. Before starting, take a deep breath and think for a minute about where all the food came from; which farm were the vegetables grown on, what kind of people tended to the poultry, and so on. I always try to think about the energy the greens pulled from the sun and what minerals from the soil. Were there beautiful butterflies exercising their colorful wings over the blooming flowers? Were the rain clouds generous with hydrating the plants?

2. Now that you have painted this beautiful image in your mind, send gratitude to all those people who have helped the food you are about to cook on it’s journey—from those who grew it, to the truck drivers, to the cashier.

3. The next step is preparing ingredients for the dance they will perform in the sauté pan, on the grill or inside the oven. Think of this process as getting your food ready for its coming out ball—do the shoes fit (are the roots cleansed off), does the jewelry work (what kind of seasonings will you use), and so on. Use your imagination!

4. Once the cooking is done, it’s time to create an appealing presentation on the plate. This is the moment for your food to come out and shine! Express your love to the plate, blow it a kiss, and send it some positive energy. Food, after all is the main source of fuel for our body—we do want to feel completely satisfied after a nourishing meal.

5. When the time comes to enjoy the beautifully and mindfully prepared dish, take your time. Savor each bite. Breathe. Allow the food to travel slowly through the digestive system. Think of the cells of your body receiving the nutrients necessary for it’s optimal performance.

Bon appetite!

Relephant Read:

Nourishing the Body as an Art Form. {A Meditation}

Author: Natalia Levey

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Pixabay

is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

About Natalia Levey

Natalia Levey is a professional chef, certified health coach and a member of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants. She works with individuals and groups to help them reach their optimum health, obtain more energy and improve their relationship with food. Natalia is the founder of Healthy Intent and an editor of Healthy Intent magazine. She adores dogs, science, organization and sports. Check out Healthy Intent on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

37 Responses to “How Meditation Makes your Food Taste Better.”

1. @AshaisNow says:

eating can be such an opportunity to own the present moment. this was beautiful. thank you!

2. healthyauthor says:

Thank you, Asha. What do you apply in your cooking practice?

3. Angie says:

yes! such a great reminder and great article.

4. Nice- and so true. I think that being fully present in what you're doing, and meditating on it, helps us be incredibly mindful of what we're doing. And it helps us to enjoy every minute to its fullest. Iv'e found that when I'm not as mindful, eating is not nearly as nice, or as interesting, and I just eat out of habit.
    I think there's something to this!

5. Great article!

6. DeLynn says:

Imagine using this technique to prepare all your meals. Not only would you enjoy your food but you would digest all the nutrients……Love it Thanks

7. Elina says:

Great article. Thanks very much for this great info, I found it very useful.

8. Stacey says:

I've always made a point to send gratitude and love to the animals that are used in my cooking, its my way of honouring their spirit, the way Native American Indians do. I honestly believe that sending love into everything you cook makes food taste so much better, and everyone I know loves my cooking! Thanks for the wonderful article.

9. nataliya says:

Very interesting…

10. Elaine says:

I will give this a go, nice article with good ideas. Thanks for sharing!

11. Kirsten says:

This is so true. It reminds me of the book “Like Water for Chocolate”. We definitely put our own energy & love into our food. I see this often , especially when I’m baking. My cakes are so much better when I’m calm, centred & enjoying it! Thanks for writing this!

• healthyauthor says:

Kirsten, yum – what cakes are your specialty? I learned to bake at the culinary school, but haven't been baking much lately – moving more towards raw desserts.

12. What a fantastic article. My business covers the Wellbeing industry so I have shared on my page for my customers/clients to see. It’s opened my eyes as to how you can incorporate the both. Thank you x

13. Sherry says:

Interesting post. Being mindful and centred during food preparation makes such good sense. I try to be mindful and in the moment when I’m prepping vegetables but thought about the ‘whole’ process before. Thank you.

14. Marguerite says:

so true -especially preparing vegetables for me can be a meditative experience

15. The food we eat can be a source of healing for our body. It's not just what we eat but HOW we eat that helps fuel and nourish our bodies so that their natural healing mechanisms can kick into high gear. Thank you for this reminder Natalia!

16. So beautiful. These thoughts come to my mind when I prepare food. I appreciate the efforts others and mother nature invested so we get our food.

17. Nourishing our bodies and souls! Love your take on this! I'll never sit down to a meal the same way again! Thank you for your words of wisdom!

18. Susan McGuire, CHC says:

What a great reminder – and beautifully written. Thanks Natalia!

19. stephaniegermaine says:

I love this! Thanks for sharing. I know my meditation practice has certainly altered how I eat, so I find your article very affirming!