Super fresh and summery, this simple marinated salad can be paired with grilled salmon or tossed with quinoa or layered over a bed of arugula.
The key is slicing the vegetables very, very, very thinly and using an exceptionally delicious olive oil.
Shaved Fennel & Zucchini Salad
- 1 medium-large zucchini, sliced into paper thin coins (a mandolin is really helpful)
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and shaved paper-thin (again, the mandolin is key)
- 2/3 cup loosely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fine grain sea salt
- 1 to 2 cups of cooked quinoa 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Crumbled feta cheese
Combine the zucchini, fennel and dill in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside and marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to an hour.
Wait until serving to add toppings or additions such as quinoa and arugula (or you will have a very soggy situation).
Author: Tahirih Linz
Associate Editor: Kendra Hackett / Editor: Renée Picard