We often carry the weight of the world on our shoulders.
This weight can be many things.
Sometimes it’s fear that holds us back from stepping forward—into new beginnings.
Half of the time, it’s our what-ifs, could-haves and should-haves that restrain us from what could be. Regret causes us to dwell on the past in a way that makes forward-looking, future intentions seem scary as hell.
We can start to lose ourselves by getting caught up in the past—our feelings, our sense of belonging, our being—all-inclusive.
I’ve recently been going through a series of transitions—moving between apartments, changing jobs and leaving relationships—each time it brings up a swell of emotions associated with stepping out into the great unknown.
My fear of the unknown is vast, wide, and some days, too much to conquer.
But when I am standing on the precipice of change, my time-tested remedy to remind myself that this is all part of being human is to sit outside and watch the sunrise—nature’s way of wiping the slate clean and beginning again.
New beginnings signify transformation and an opportunity to shed the old patterns and ways of being that hold us back from serving our life’s purpose.
What would it be like to step forward and not look back on the things that have quite literally been restraining me?
It simply begs the question, “What is it like to begin again?”
If you’ve been looking for a restart button and a chance to wipe the slate clean, this might be your chance.
Words of wisdom—a springboard for transformation as you step into new beginnings.
1. “I decided that the single most subversive, revolutionary thing I could do was to show up for my life and not be ashamed.” ~ Anne Lamott
2. “Drink from the well of yourself and begin again.” ~ Charles Bukowski
3. “Loving ourselves through the process of owning our story is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.” ~ Brené Brown
4. “Something is going to come out of this. Something new. This can end you up in a whole new place—a better place, a much more open place.” ~ Pema Chodron
5. “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ~ Joseph Campbell
6. “Some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.” ~ Gilda Radner
7. “Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.” ~ Desmond Tutu
8. “I know this transformation is painful, but you’re not falling apart; you’re just falling into something different, with a new capacity to be beautiful.” ~ William C. Hannan
To new beginnings!
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” ~ Les Misérables
Author: Caitlin Oriel
Editor: Ashleigh Hitchcock