*Eleditor’s note: Astrology isn’t a religion. We’re not sure it’s a science, either. It’s magic, maybe. But, as with feng shui, say, things affect things. So as long as we don’t go blaming our problems on the stars, as long as we assume responsibility for our own actions…well, hell, a little auspicious coincidence and applicable wisdom can’t hurt. And so, with that grain of salt…enjoy!
Jyoti means light in Sanskrit and nothing brings the light quite like the ancient system of Vedic astrology.
Jyotish Astrology is unlike any other cosmic system available. Its depth, accuracy and spiritual guidance are unparalleled.
Here are my top six reasons why Jyotish will change your life forever (and why it far surpasses what Western or Tropical Astrology can offer you!)
1. It’s a Complete Map of your Karma. Your natal chart is a complete and intricate map of your birth karma. Yep, everything that you packed into your bag for this lifetime is in your Jyotish chart! It is your karmic map. It shows you what you’re here to work on and even why you are here to do the work. There’s really no need to wonder!
2. Jyotish is Extremely Thorough. Nothing compares to the depth and brilliance of Jyotish Astrology. Western astrology can’t hold up to the profound layers of this ancient system of wisdom and insight. We use nakshatras (lunar constellations) to refine the meaning and expression of the chart. The dashas (planetary cycles) share the messages and themes of your current life. Dozens of vargas (divisional charts) can explain the intimate details of every part of your life- from spouse to dharma, to spiritual development and inherent weaknesses of the soul. And this is just scratching the surface!
The details offered through Jyotish, in order to explain your life, are only limited by your ability to study, perceive and explore the ancient Vedic texts. Anything you want to know is hidden within its contents.
3. Suffering is Optional. With a complete map of your karmas, discovering your biggest obstacles and challenges is easy and straight-forward. The suffering that most people endure is really and truly an option. The more you explore the wisdom of your own karmic map, the more you can awaken to the intricate layers that share your strengths and weaknesses. Discover your biggest challenges, then use this as a key for overcoming them. That’s why you’re alive in the first place! Jyotish just speeds up the process.
4. Timing is Everything. Much of our suffering is due to inaction or taking action at the wrong time. If we don’t know when to take action, we will miss important opportunities and precious resources that can help us on our journey. If we take action when there is not support or alignment from Nature and the cosmos, we waste our valuable energy and may even quit taking appropriate action in the future. The wisdom of Jyotish is actually the wisdom of nature. It shares right timing for powerful support and alignment with natural law.
5. Discover your Life Purpose. Sadly, so many people on the planet will never truly awaken their life purpose. Nor will they feel totally fulfilled and ecstatic about their work and what they offer to the world. I believe this is one of the biggest tragedies of the modern age. It’s also easily overcome by studying the Jyotish chart. There’s no need to struggle and wonder what your life purpose is. All these dharmic details are shared within your karmic map.
6. Only Jyotish Can Bring Awakening. In fact, this was the original intention of Jyotish. The ancient Jyotishis originally used the Jyotish chart to help people become enlightened, awakened and fully realized. The Jyotish chart is in fact the biggest resource for individualized self-discovery and self-awakening- if used as such. The Jyotish chart can even share what pathways and tools are best for you to use. It can also share if you’ll be able to receive the wisdom you need for awakening and how moksha will come. Jyotish is the only resource available that can offer this!
Ancient Wisdom Knows Best!
The Jyotish texts are among the many recognized Vedic texts, which are part of the Angas, or Six Limbs of the Vedas. The Jyotish texts incorporate both astronomy and astrology, and are connected to the eyes, our ability to see; Jyotish is considered to be the “eye of the Vedas” quite literally. The purpose of the Jyotish texts is to awaken one to their cosmic, divine existence, to truly teach the reality of “as is the macrocosm, so is the microcosm.”
The recognized grandfather of Jyotish is considered to be Parashara. He was truly a sage, an enlightened being by all accounts, who lived around 2 to 3,000 B.C.E. according to Indian historians. It was Parashara who wrote the Jyotish texts originally, into what is known today as the Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra. This has been a guiding resource for Jyotishis (students of Jyotish) for millenniums and is a foundational understanding of Jyotish, the principles, practices and cosmic intelligence that guides our human existence—whether we choose to recognize this phenomenon as reality or not.
The ancient tradition of Eastern astrology, or the sidereal system, has a profound lineage of masters, of seers, that is linked to it; this is unparalleled in the modern, Western astrology realms (also known as Tropical astrology). Though ancient Vedic astrologers were well aware of the difference between the fixed zodiac (sidereal or nirayana chakra in Sanskrit), versus the moveable zodiac (tropical or sayana chakra in Sanskrit), they chose to use the sidereal zodiac for reasons of accuracy.
Western astrology, the way it is used today is quite new, and it cannot be linked to ancient roots like that of the sidereal system. I believe this to be the most important distinction between the tropical and sidereal approaches to astrology. I’m a traditionalist in many regards. I want a lineage connected to my knowledge and resources. Lineage is important for me in order to trust the knowledge that I’m receiving. The wisdom and guidance of the ancient Jyotish system provides this for me.
Essentially, Eastern astrology, the sidereal approach to studying the cosmic self, is based on the fixed reality of life, that which is unchanging. The ancient Jyotishis knew that using a fixed zodiac was ideal as this mirrors the essence of our non-changing self, the Atman, or soul. This non-changing expression of reality, of our cosmic existence, is expressed eloquently in the Mahavakyas and can be stated quite simply as tat tvam asi, or thou art that.
In contrast, the Western approach to astrology, or Tropical approach, is based on the moveable, changing reality of life which is expressed through that fact that these charts are based on the unfixed zodiac. This is a decidedly poignant distinction that I feel truly accentuates the many differences, philosophically and otherwise, between Eastern and Western approaches. As with predominant Westerncentric ideals, there is an obsession with all aspects of life that are not lasting, that are fleeting illusions. The East knows better.
I use Jyotish as a resource for self discovery and awakening. Unfortunately, this is not the intention of most Jyotishis these days. I’m truly passionate about making sure that the wisdom of Jyotish is maintained through sattva, purity. As my guru Maharishi once said, “Always speak the sweet truth.” I believe strongly that Jyotish has the power to uplift and heal, or destroy and destruct. How we use this wisdom is very important because it is extremely powerful!
Why Study Jyotish?!
I see the challenges expressed in the chart as our biggest opportunities for self-development and self-growth. Unlike most jyotishis who just tell you what they see in your chart, then give you very few tools for lasting change or healing, I support my students and clients to make changes on the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual body levels. I see the karmic map as a way to transform and heal our biggest blockages. But we must use the wisdom of the chart to take effective action!
My work blends ancient Vedic wisdom with cutting edge, modern tools of self development. I offer embodiment and somatic resources, as well as Expressive Art Therapy modalities, to help re-pattern neuropathways and increase life force energy. I use the Emotional Freedom Technique (E.F.T.) to re-pattern and transform behavioral conditioning, lineage karmas and early childhood imprints. Additionally I use ancient Vedic resources for deep, lasting effects.
My passion lies not only in helping my clients and students overcome their biggest karmic blockages, but also in helping them awaken through studying their own charts. Nothing compares to the gifts of your own insights. Studying your own Jyotish chart is truly the best way to awaken and enlighten your self. As you study your karmic map and peel back the layers, your inner wisdom deepens. Here you can start listening to the brilliant messages within and unlocking the precious gifts of your being.
I’m passionate about supporting your awakening process!
Need some extra guidance and clarity? I am now booking for October. Schedule a session with me.
Plan your week in tune with nature. Never miss a planetary update. Sign up for my weekly newsletter.
Author: Saraswati J.
Editor: Ashleigh Hitchcock
Photo: courtesy of the author, wikipedia