Life as Art & Life is Art.

Via Laurie Seymour
on Mar 12, 2016
get elephant's newsletter

Starry eyes

Do you consider yourself an artist?

Or are you like me and always claim non-artist status?

“I can’t draw anything more than a stick figure,” is the dialogue that often plays in my head.

My story was that I simply wasn’t creative. I didn’t sing or play an instrument. I couldn’t paint. A singing, furniture building client of mine once told me that it was something he didn’t respect about me.

Ouch.

Here’s the truth I’ve since discovered:

We are all artists. We create our life, don’t we?

Intentionally creating is the essence of being an artist.

Maybe you haven’t ever thought about the fact that we actively create our life. Each choice of direction, every nuance of thought is part of us creating.

Life is designed to be a true creative process. It is our canvas, our stage. We get to create the script and to choose the colors.

Not only is life a creative process, it has been designed to work. Think about it. Our breath has intelligence, which knows how to keep us alive without our control or guidance. We don’t need to direct the flow of blood, nor the oxygen that nourishes our cells.

And yet, even without our direct control, life still works. It’s the foundation upon which we craft our art.

Of course, there are all sorts of ways that we can interrupt the flow of life. We can eat poorly, clutter our thoughts with concern, judgment or limitation or make choices that are not reflective of our values and talents. We can go along with things without awareness.

Or we can decide to claim our status as artists, crafting our work of art.

Life Works!

Growing up, I didn’t know that life was supposed to work. My parents and teachers never taught me anything about it. They didn’t seem to have any idea that life could work. I was six years old when my father died and my mother was left with four young children.

I learned really early that life was all about struggle.

Even my later psychotherapy training was focused on what didn’t work, not on what was possible.

Somewhere in me, I knew there was so much more to life. When all of the “answers” I encountered outside of me didn’t build lasting change, I learned to go inside. This became the impetus for my own inner journey.

I discovered how to get quiet so that I could feel myself. I began to meditate regularly. I became skilled in the art of inner research. Inner research is a personal process of self-reflection and exploration of how life can work.

It required discipline and patience to learn how to work with my thoughts so that my inner relationship could grow and become sustaining.

A Work in Progress

When our life is aligned, we are continually in a state of creating.  Nothing is done by rote—not our choices nor our actions.

We choose our thoughts. We decide with awareness where to place our attention.

We become the artist. Our life is our creation. Creativity fuels our life force. Our beliefs, thoughts and actions become the elements for our artistic expression. Our creation is ever-changing, a continual work-in-progress.

Life has tests. If I find myself caught in an old pattern, I look to see what there is to be learned from it. It may be something designed to show me how I have changed! The emotional charge of the old pattern may have dissolved long ago and the pattern is just a habit. I can release it.

I get to choose a new palette.

Curiosity: We are not the Cat

I’ve stumbled often on the rocky road of judgment. The smoother path is to be curious about life. I take time to reflect on my life’s situations. Reflection helps me to shape my next steps and to make choices that align my actions with my inner direction.

Becoming curious, I open to what could be possible, even if I am convinced that it’s impossible.

Today is a perfect opportunity for inner research.

Whatever we place our attention on begins to move into form. Our life is our creation. We get to decide how we want the picture to look.

Shake up certainty—that action alone creates space for new possibilities. It builds an energetic resonance that draws forth something that is still resting in the unknown and hasn’t yet manifested.

By claiming my life as my creative expression, I have learned to reflect on what is working for me, to acknowledge what I receive and to celebrate my changes.

Instead of needing to be right or worrying about whether I was wrong, I know that my only source of true direction comes from inside. Inner research and meditation have taken me from self-doubt and self-judgment to the freedom of self-discovery and creative manifestation.

This shift is anchored within me. It is my inner compass.

Our life is our art. Art is ever-changing. The more we approach life as our creation, the more opportunity we have for growth and expansion.

I decided to discover what is possible. After all, this is my remarkable life.

What are you creating? I’d love to hear from you!

~

Author: Laurie Seymour

Editor: Caitlin Oriel

Image: Pixabay

About Laurie Seymour

Bestselling author, Illuminator and Master Teacher, Laurie Seymour, M.A., founded The Baca Journey to teach leaders and emerging leaders how to reliably connect with their own inner wisdom. She shows them how to sustain their inner connection, creating a path of self-mastery. As Turaya Grand Master, Laurie teaches Turaya Touch and Turaya Meditation around the world. Visit her website or find her on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Comments

38 Responses to “Life as Art & Life is Art.”

1. Sarah says:

What a great article. Very insightful.

2. Marianne says:

Laurie, thank you for creating such a beautiful and true piece! I agree with you with all of my heart. Life is a creation…and you are an artist. I can feel it exuding from your every word. I uphold you on your journey… from one artist to another. This is a beautiful offering for the world, from your heart: the portal to the Divine creator. Thank you for your beauty and creativity.

3. Jeffrey Hill says:

Life as Art & Life is Art……

4. laurie303 says:

Thank you, Sarah!

5. laurie303 says:

I appreciate your kind words, Marianne. Our creative life journey is a magnificent process!

6. laurie303 says:

It is indeed, Jeffrey.

7. Gavin S says:

What an excellent, insightful article! Very helpful, thank you.

8. solomonhealing says:

Wonderful, Laurie, thank you.

I have lived my working life as an artist, not visual art, but music, acting, and writing. In my younger life, I knew I was an artist, but this was my work. I believed life happened to me, not by me, and sometimes felt I was a victim. And yet still I created my life, by my subconscious drive, my desires, my passion, my decisions. However, it was not until I was in my 50s that I realized, fully, that this was the case: that I was always creating my life. Now this gives me pride and peace, that I have been true to my path, whether things went well all the time or not!

9. Quinn Eurich says:

Hi Laurie,

I found your article very thought provoking . . . life as art. I have to think about that for a while, and perhaps modify my definition as to what is art. Definitely agree about the whole inner journey and curiosity as both have brought me where I am today.

Good article – thank you for sharing.

10. laurie303 says:

You are welcome, Gavin! I'm glad that it was helpful.

11. laurie303 says:

The act and the art of creating, whether it be a wonderful meal, a song, a painting, a gathering of friends, or a business…all is creating. When we are true to our path, there is grace!

12. John says:

Great article. I sang and performed a bit in high school, and also played some music, and still didn't think of myself as an artist! I really like this perspective that we are all artists, and are creating our own lives, whether consciously or not. I am focused now on doing it more and more consciously. Thanks for the reminder.

13. Roy Cohen says:

I love the relationship of art and life, and the inclusion of art within my life. I happily accept that my life is made up of acts of creation, that opportunities come and go, but our acceptance or rejection of them affects us at the very core of our being. Going inside, and finding what is working and what is not is also an ongoing task that I eagerly accept. This is joyous work.

14. laurie303 says:

I'm so happy that it is thought provoking for you, Quinn. Thank you!

15. laurie303 says:

You are most welcome, John! Love that you are creating more consciously now.

16. Carolyn says:

Great article. I loved that you tied in curiosity with creativity — it would be very hard to live a creative life without curiosity! And, I am one of those people who never thought of myself as creative in the classic sense of the word and yet I know life itself is incredibly creative! Thank you for putting this altogether in such a beautiful way.

17. laurie303 says:

It sounds like you are an artist in your soul, Roy, truly acknowledging your creation. Thank you!

18. laurie303 says:

Thanks so much, Carolyn. I'm sure you live life as fully creative as you are curious!

19. Ellen says:

Thank you for this beautiful framing of life as a creative process. I, too, spent much of my life thinking I was not creative because I don't paint, write, sculpt, or draw. I think I starting accepting my creativity when I began cooking, and then later when I took up gardening and decorating my home. Only in recent years have I started experiencing the choices I make each day, about everything, as a creative process. Your words help me see that even more clearly.

20. This is a brilliant article that speaks to the creative in me! "Shake up certainty—that action alone creates space for new possibilities." This is something I enjoy doing as I have found stagnation is toxic to the soul. It's fun to explore with new colorful pathways and types of media in life to create a masterpiece that I'm proud to display and share with others.

21. laurie303 says:

So glad you enjoyed it, Ellen. I, too, made the creative connection with cooking and decorating. That became part of my overall process of seeing my life as creative.

22. laurie303 says:

Oh yes, Sabrina! Stagnation is surely toxic to our being. Every one of us is creative. Surely we can discover the masterpiece that is us!

23. Carol Hampson says:

Thanks Laurie for sharing your wisdom and journey in a way that invites a spirit of enthusiasm for others who want to create meaning and purpose in their lives.

24. What a rich piece! So much of it resonates deeply with me. Curiosity and inner research and conscious choice in what we craft….. I Love it! And the reminder that life does indeed work when we align with it and that we are all artists sculpting our reality and weaving our world together… inspiring!

25. laurie303 says:

You are welcome, Carol! Thanks for stopping by.

26. laurie303 says:

I celebrate what each of us are creating as our life, Gitanjali!

27. magicalblessingshealingcenter says:

Lovely Lauire, for so long I would play that stick figure idea in my head. Then one day I tried a wine and paint moment and had the best time and unleashed a beautiful side that was hiding. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and helping others align to their beauty.

28. Reba Linker says:

I love this post. Yes, we are all artists, creating our masterpiece: our lives! Beautiful post, Laurie!

29. laurie303 says:

Thank you, Reba!

30. Pamela says:

Laurie, Thank you for articulating our creative journey in such a beautiful way. I've often heard people say that they're not creative. Life is our canvas. We were created, therefore we are creative beings. Embracing curiosity and possibility opens the door to creating wonderful life art!

31. Lea Tran says:

Loved reading that "our breath has intelligence, which knows how to keep us alive without our control or guidance." Just like the creative genius in us has intelligence. We don't need to resist or control it – just let it come out with no judgement.

32. laurie303 says:

I have plans to try one of those. My daughter just did one and had such fun. Even do, I am happily creating my artistic life!

33. Josee says:

Great blog. I love your definition of inner research: a personal process of self-reflection and exploration of how life can work. Listening to your inner gps most definitely will help you reach the life you're meant to create one step at a time.

34. laurie303 says:

I appreciate your kind words, Pamela. "We are created, therefore we are creative beings." I couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing.

35. laurie303 says:

We get to be creative partners with our inner creative genius, Lea!

36. laurie303 says:

Thank you, Josee! Sometimes we take giant leaps instead of one step at a time. Then following our inner GPS becomes even more important as we navigate through the twists and turns.

37. Zeenat{Positive Provocations} says:

Such a great article Laurie!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful wisdom here.
    Much Love,