The legendary Aretha Franklin, American singer and songwriter, has passed away at the age of 76.
She had been suffering from pancreatic cancer, and died at her home in Detroit in the morning hours of Thursday, August 16th. She was surrounded by her family.
In memory of one of the greatest musicians of our time, here are the 10 best quotes from the Queen of Soul:
1. Falling out of love is like losing weight. It’s a lot easier putting it on than taking it off.
2. You cannot define a person on just one thing. You can’t just forget all these wonderful and good things that a person has done because one thing didn’t come off the way you thought it should come off.
3. Sometimes, what you’re looking for is already there.
4. People really don’t have to give you anything, so appreciate what people give you.
5. We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic human right.
6. Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, it’s uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening.
7. Being the Queen is not all about singing, and being a diva is not all about singing. It has much to do with your service to people. And your social contributions to your community and your civic contributions as well.
8. The man who gets me is getting one hell of a woman.
9. Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you’re doing. If you’re not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it.
10. I’m a big woman. I need big hair.
Rest in Soul, Aretha. You will be missed.