View this post on Instagram
The darkness isn’t wrong.
It’s part of life, a backdrop for the stars at night, the space between what we know. Darkness has a way of reminding us of the light we’ve been given on all those other days.
We don’t need to drown the darkness with light. We don’t need to replace negativity with positivity. We bring the darkness to the light, like an offering.
That means we honor what is first, before we try to change it. We meet ourselves where we’re at, before moving forward.
Then, we can bring light to the places and situations where there’s barely any left. We can give someone love, even though they’re not acting with love. We can light another candle.
We can handle the hard things.
Read these quotes to help you bring darkness to the light, and make it part of the light—they are reminders of something important.
These 30 quotes about darkness and light will help us appreciate both.
1. “The dark and the light, they exist side by side. Sometimes overlapping, one explaining the other. The darkened path is as illuminated as the lightened…” ~ Raven Davies
2. “Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.” ~ Rabindranath Tagore
3. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” ~ Desmond Tutu
4. “However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” ~ Stanley Kubrick
5. “A visionary is one who can find his way by moonlight and see the dawn before the rest of the world.” ~ Oscar Wilde
6. “The darkness around us might somewhat light up if we would first practice using the light we have in the place we are.” ~ Henry S. Haskins
7. “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” ~ Victor Hugo
8. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” ~ Desiderius Erasmus
9. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” ~ Madeleine L’Engle
10. “In the midst of darkness, light persists.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
11. “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars.” ~ Richard Evans
12. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
13. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” ~ Plato
14. “What makes night within us may leave stars.” ~ Victor Hugo
15. “Why not dare yourself to become a shining positive light where darkness is the only thing known?” ~ Edmond Mbiaka
16. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.” ~ Anne Frank
17. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” ~ Og Mandino
18. “Every moment of light and dark is a miracle.” ~ Walt Whitman
19. “Don’t fight darkness—bring the light, and darkness will disappear.” ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
20. “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.” ~ Rumi
21. “You can’t discover light, by analyzing the dark.” ~ Wayne Dyer
22. “Peace and negativity cannot coexist just as light and darkness cannot coexist.” ~ S.N. Goenka
23. “Life isn’t just about darkness or light, rather it’s about finding light within the darkness.” ~ Landon Parham
24. “There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” ~ Bram Stoker
25. “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.” ~ Mary Oliver
26. “Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” ~ Mark Twain
27. “Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. ” ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
28. “Time takes it all whether you want it to or not, time takes it all. Time bares it away, and in the end there is only darkness. Sometimes we find others in that darkness, and sometimes we lose them there again.” ~ Stephen King
29. “Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.” ~ Ali Ibn Abi Talib AS
30. “Intense, unexpected suffering passes more quickly than suffering that is apparently bearable; the latter goes on for years and, without our noticing, eats away at our souls, until, one day, we are no longer able to free ourselves from the bitterness and it stays with us for the rest of our lives.” ~
Tell me in the comments: which of these quotes about darkness and light is your favorite? I read every single one, and I’d love to know!